Cryptic answers by Kubiak, at presser, regarding who decides on new d-coord

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Jan 3, 2011.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

Unless houstonspartan transcribed it incorrectly, this is a blatant effort by Kubiak to not reveal who the HELL is in charge and has control of the operations here. Am I right, or am I wrong?

This is obviously a well-guarded and well-measured answer on Kubiak's behalf, but it would have been nice to know if the owner, the GM, the owner AND the GM, or if the HC is pulling the trigger on things now.

Does anyone have any other source material that can shed light on the decision-making process? That'd be nice to have a definitive answer, instead of us all sitting here debating it for 2011.

I don't think all three of them can come to a consensus on who to get as DC. My current theory is that the GM will have ultimately say, especially after Kubiak having to fire his friends (cue the theme song to "Friends" tv show).

2. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

3. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

Not because McClain said it but I believe it is Kubiak's final call. How I read into it when he says Rick and Bob got ideas; "Rick got ideas, Bob got ideas, I got ideas, so I'll listen to them on their input but ultimately is my final say".

4. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Did you notice that Kubiak said, without saying, that Bernard Pollard is a goner? Kubiak has zero intention of having him back on the team. I found that interesting.

5. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I wouldn't be surprised if "final say" is situational. It has been before in this organization. The lack of a clear chain of command does not make for a smooth running ship.

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

He sure scooted around that question. Sounds like he's gone. Veteran CB + Veteran S needed from free agency.

7. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Think of it like the movie Crimson Tide:

Rick Smith = Gene Hackman

Gary Kubiak = Denzel Washington...

Get it?

8. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Unless they decide to go young.

DoCRoN likes this.
  9. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Not that it's a big deal and it looks like an easy mistake to make but I believe that it was HoustonSportsFan09 who transcribed that in the presser thread. I only noticed because I rep the guy every week for doing that and think he should get his due credit.

Carry on:texflag:

J_R likes this.
  10. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I was just about to say the same thing. Thanks for the credit, but I'm not the one who transcribed the press conference. I do appreciate all of those on here that take the time to do so however.

11. GP

GP Go Texans!

Sort of like children who have a play date, and each one takes turns being "the boss" and "the employee" and "the customer."

Yeah, it's pretty eff'd up.

12. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

aw.. I didn't need that :(

13. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Missed the presser and it's not up yet. Quotes are though... I should wait until tomorrow.

14. datchapin

datchapin Veteran

Haven't read the transcript, what did he say to suggest that. Then why Pollard?

15. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Here are the quotes:

(on whether he talked to SS Bernard Pollard about his free agency situation) “You know, there were a few guys like that today. I met with every player today and visited with them briefly. There are guys that are listed as unrestricted free agents; there are guys that could be restricted depending on what happens with the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement). I think that’s a very open book right now, so we don’t know, but my conversation with Bernard was good. He did not play yesterday with his shoulder bothering him, but he has done his job for us, he has always played hard for us. Bernard is sitting, I would assume, in a good situation. He’s been a good football player, he’s free, and we’ll see what happens.”

(on whether he wants SS Bernard Pollard back with the Texans next season) “He’s done a good job for this football team, but we have to go back and what we’ll start doing tomorrow morning is go back and evaluating our football season and looking at our players, and we’ve got to decide which direction we go, but Bernard has always done his job.”

It was the tone as well. He was very measured in limiting his compliments and skirting the question. Barrett and I were both independently struck that it was a strong signal he was not coming back.

16. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I listened to it as well and got the same feeling about Pollard. Can't say I'm too upset about it. He has a cool personality and all, but the dude is a liability in our worst part on D, pass coverage. We need to trim the fat at a lot of positions this year. We can do better at that position and we must do it to improve.

17. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I think Pollard was counted on to be a leader, particularly when they went super-young with the secondary. Instead of being accountable and helping the young guys, I think he played poorly in coverage and also diverted blame instead of taking responsibility for his mistakes. Kubiak wanted him to be accountable for his own mistakes and probably would've liked him to claim responsibility for some of Jackson's errors, as well. Instead, I saw Pollard yelling at a CB after a TD when Pollard clearly vacated his zone and helped cause the TD... not what Kubiak and company was looking for in leadership, I think.

(all that being said, I think Pollard is/can be a good player and was put in position to fail too often this season)

18. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Pollard's a FA and he doesn't know if Wade wants him or not. Wade very well might want Pollard back, as Phillips did have big, physical safeties suchas as Atwater and Dennis Smith with the Broncos.

19. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't see anything peculiar about what Gary said...

I will say that I don't think Rick Smith has more say than Kubiak in this regard...

What has HE done to earn that right?

20. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Don't worry about Pollard. Smithiak has their eye on Jack Sprat, a great little project safety from the Little Sisters of the Poor wheelchair college team in the 7th rd.

RagingBull likes this.