Crow being eaten at ESPN: "O-line better than predicted"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Jan 24, 2008.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

This is from an article on ESPN.com where the columnist re-visits his 100 Offseason Predictions (from last year). We're at No. 86.

link: 100 Offseason Predictions, Re-Visited

2. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

From the same people who said that VY and Reggie were no miss mistakes for us ?

If they stand pat on the o-line this off seson, we'll be top ten in the draft in '09.
    Can't make chicken salad out of chicken ...well you know the rest. Static is death in the NFL.

3. GP

GP Go Texans!

If we stand pat on o-line, then our franchise is under a curse. It could be a decade before we see a Texans front office staff who puts the o-line at the proper priority it deserves. People like to say that defense wins championships, but I gotta' start thinking that the o-line might be challenging the defense for that claim.

I like how we reduced sacks, but we need our QB to have the same sort of time as Brady has had.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Houston Texans another covert, radar avoiding destructive device coming to an arena near you in 2008. You may not see them coming, but you will know it when they arrive!

I just love the sound of twin superchargers and dual carburetors of 1BADBOY in the morning.

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

No doubt. I think they are working in that direction by hiring Alex Gibbs. We've got a coach that knows good line play and how to teach it, so mix in a few more players and we might start to see some consistency.

6. K-J-3

K-J-3 King James III

well, for sure the o'line play was better this year. i don't think we can thank salaam enough for his play since his signing. we all know it wasn't the best but it wasn't bad at a point in the building of the franchise that is extremely critical. winston's improvement has been key as well. it helps that schaub can step out of the way of an oncoming defender too.

the gibbs hire may turn a few more heads the texans way as well. and by heads i mean more than just espn-mouth-flappers. i don't expect weary or flanagan back, and salaam being put into a backup role behind the LT THAT THEY NEED TO DRAFT IN THE 1ST! i'm seriously doubting a texans run on o'lineman in the draft. so maybe some f/a guys looking for a good place to play with a good coach (on a rising team no less) consider houston as a possibility...

7. Polo

Polo Guest

I dunno, but I've seen several times where Brady has been absolutely crushed in the pocket...

Even Super Man had his days....

Brady's line mixed with his pocket awarness probably create more times where the d-line looks totatlly inneffective, but I'm not sure that that is 100%because of the talent invested in their O-line....I think it's because of a mixture of things....Coaching, confidence, offensive rythym, a Beastly QB, and of course their own talent...

I just don't think that when it comes to O-lines being effective as a whole spending a first day pick neccessarily = better O-line. I'm not opposed to spending high picks on O-linemen, I just don't think it "has" to be done.

If I know my O-line coach is Joe Gibbs, and my D-coordinator is Richard Smithers I might be more inclined to get as much talent on D as I could...

But que sara sara.

8. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Every team's QB is going to get crushed from time to time. It's how you mitigate. We in Houston have seen the QB get crushed for years. Thsi year, we didn't see a ton of crushing plays (a few, though), but we also never saw the QB standing in the pocket scanning, waiting, waiting some more, and then waiting some more, like you did with Brady quite a few times this year. If we can get those type of plays to counter the QB-crushing plays, then we'll be a lot further along. Our QBs did a good job of moving around this year. Brady didn't have to, very much.

9. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Speaking of the OLine, what are the Texans gonna do with the sloth-footed
    Kasey Studdard now that A. Gibbs and his bias towards greyhounds for his ZB
    approach to OLine systems is in command ?

10. Polo

Polo Guest

We didnt't see it as much as the Pats did, but there were times when the O-line gave our QB's ample time....I can even recall watching games and hearing the announcers make note of that on a few occasions...

But anywho, that's besides the point...I acknowledged that the Pats have a better O-line..I wasn't disputing that...

All I merely said was that I don't think it's neccessarily due to their O-linemen's individual talents...I think coaching, heart, offensive rythm, having a great QB, Great WR's, yada yada yad all have a lot to do with it...

My point was that if the Texans don't pick up a LT with either of their first two picks I won't be terribly bummed...If they do pick one up, I won't be bummed...As long as it's not a kicker, QB I won't complain...

11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I completely agree. The hiring of Gibbs tells me they're serious about getting the line fixed, and if they draft O-line in later rounds this year, I won't be as concerned as I may have been in years past.

12. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

This is a great point. Even though Schaub's got better pocket presence than Carr did, it doesn't matter if he gets drilled when he does take a sack.

And Schaub has gotten creamed when he's gotten sacked. That's on the line.

I think that avoiding sacks is the main advantage that Sage has over Schaub (not that I'm trying to turn this into another Sage thread.)

13. Polo

Polo Guest

Most of the INT's Schaub threw, I could look at them and say to myself..."Ok...I see what you were trying to do...shoulda made a better decision, but I see what you were thinking"

When Sage throws a pick it's like ":um:, OMG, I can't believe you just did that"

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I just think Matt has qualities that make him a potential starter, and Sage has qualities that make him a career back-up...But a very good career back-up...

I see a lot of mistakes Schaub makes that can be coached up or learned through experience, with Sage I think he pretty much is what he is...maybe in another life time though...

TexansSeminole and ensign_lee like this.
  14. samomin

samomin Veteran

That's sad.

15. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I understand completely what you are saying. Rep to you.

Some of Matt's throws were like pretty bad too. He threw some pretty bad balls into double coverage, sometimes in the endzone, but he also made alot of good plays. Matt seemed to be rushing things this year. His mistakes aren't too difficult to fix. I hope he slows down a bit, but in order to do that he needs protection.

I think coaching Schaub has just really started for Kubiak. He needed to get some PT behind Schaub and work with his confidence. I bet Kubiak really works him hard in 2008.

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

I kinda disagree with this. Granted, we didn't always get a ton of time but there were several times this year when our QB's had all day to throw. Just go back to the Denver game. There were a lot of plays where Sage was just sitting back there forever. And we got plays like that in several of the games we played this year.

And, yes, we'd like more of those plays but I think it's wrong to say that we never got any of them.