Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Crabtree Probably Signing Soon

Vinny

shiny happy fan
MICHAEL CRABTREE
Receiver and agent to meet with 49ers

John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 (10-05) 20:15 PDT -- The Michael Crabtree saga could be nearing resolution for the 49ers as suggested by two media reports.

A Monday afternoon posting on ESPN.com indicated Crabtree and agent Eugene Parker are on their way to San Francisco to "renew contract talks" with the 49ers. The two sides have not spoken in weeks.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/06/SPM31A1GB5.DTL#ixzz0TAc1aIB9
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/06/SPM31A1GB5.DTL

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
This guy has to be an id!0t .... Get a real agent and quit lettin some tag along speak for you. Not like you'll spend all those millions anyhow - shut up and play some football.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
I dunno, what's the chances of him being on the field for the game down here in Reliant later this month ?

4Texans

Veteran
I blame Crabtree more for this than his agent. E. Parker has been tough to deal with at times, but he knows the system doesn't work for a #10 to be paid more than a #7 pick. Crabtree was drafted, he's not a FA.

At this point, Crabtree needs the 49'ers a whole lot more than they need him.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
What a moron. Actually I should probably be referring more to his agent.
I'm not so sure that it's his agent. I heard a lot about some "advisor" that's been screwing this thing up that's been acting independent of his agent.

Having said that, I wonder how involved Deion Sanders is with this thing.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Funny thing is that the 9ers are in the drivers seat. They're winning and doing well without him.

Smart move Craptree! :ok:

I'm not so sure that it's his agent. I heard a lot about some "advisor" that's been screwing this thing up that's been acting independent of his agent.

Having said that, I wonder how involved Deion Sanders is with this thing.
Yeah that would be his donkey's behind of a cousin screwing things up. I think Deion had a hand in getting him back to the negotiating table. He seemed to know Crabman was going to be talking with 9ers brass on Sunday during NFL gameday

I really wanted him to suceed when I watched him a Tech. But now a big piece of me wants to see him fall flat on his face when/if he steps on to an NFL field. Players who think they have already proved themselves in college and have earned pro respect without playing a down in the NFL need a swift kick to the junk.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
At this point, Crabtree needs the 49'ers a whole lot more than they need him.
I don't really agree with that. The 49ers lost Frank Gore for three weeks. Glen Coffee is struggling with a 2.1 YPC average. I can't see them counting on Vernon Davis or their defense for the rest of the way. They do have the 28th worst passing attack against some pretty bad teams. I think their offense only scored 14 points against probably the worst defense in the NFL to go along with 228 total yards.

The San Francisco 49ers need Michael Crabtree just as much as Michael Crabtree needs the San Francisco 49ers.

Silver Oak

All Pro
sign him and trade him. this guy has prima donna receiver written all over him, in the mold of T.O., and Ocho Cinco.

a distraction just waiting to happen.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
What would somebody like this kid be doing if not for his football skills ?
Working at a KFC if he could find one that's hiring maybe ? Does not some responsible adult in this guys life point out to this arrogant, foolish, immature youngster how incredibly lucky he is to have such as opportunity to play this sport that he loves so much while making millions and millions of dollars for doing so ?

Vinny

shiny happy fan
What would somebody like this kid be doing if not for his football skills ?
Working at a KFC if he could find one that's hiring maybe ? Does not some responsible adult in this guys life point out to this arrogant, foolish, immature youngster how incredibly lucky he is to have such as opportunity to play this sport that he loves so much while making millions and millions of dollars for doing so ?
perhaps someone has? You can lead a horse to water but you know you can't make him drink it. He has to take ownership of his own actions.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
sign him and trade him. this guy has prima donna receiver written all over him, in the mold of T.O., and Ocho Cinco.

a distraction just waiting to happen.
you don't see that kind of stuff in this league due to the salary cap hit.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
you don't see that kind of stuff in this league due to the salary cap hit.
If I remember correctly, aren't you a pretty big 49er fan? Is that right? If so, how do you feel about Crabtree and how much of an impact do you think he can have upon the 49ers with their offensive woes?

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
perhaps someone has? You can lead a horse to water but you know you can't make him drink it. He has to take ownership of his own actions.
But here's something else that really puzzles me ? He's already had an injury
serious enough that left him unable to complete in his combine/pro-day activities as I recall ? It seems that, given that experience, it would occur to him that's he's not immortal ? Things happen - lighning strikes, people get run over by 18-wheelers, etc. You'd think he'd take that money and run to the bank - as a young African-American man from a large urban area he surely must know what its like to be economically disenfranchised ?

Follow me here...he had an injury, a pretty bad foot injury...the 49ers needed some attention on their season....

Maybe this has all been a giant play on the media?

I know that is a bit on the crazy side but...hey, it's possible.

Blazing Arrow

Work'n da grill
It would be great if the 9ers dropped the offer by a million or so just to prove a point. I am pretty sure if he does not sign this month he can not play for the entire season.

Even if he does sign I doubt Singletary will be excited to see him on the field. Make his contract incentive based and then never play him.

I can see it now:

Singletary: "Crabtree!"
Crabtree: "Yeah coach ... I'm ready to play."
Singletary: "That's great. Get back on the bench."

does that maybe 5 times a game. If he mouths off even for a second or questions him he sends him to the locker room.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Basically the 49ers have leverage. He realizes that they are pretty good without him and he will get boned next year if he holds out. So now the 49ers can still be a solid team and sign him. He is a bonus. If he contributes this year they go from rock solid mid to lower playoff team to a scarier team. I hope it happens. I think the guy and his agent have been idiots but I'd like to see him play.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
I would not be surprised if this clown gets on the field then has a season ending injury shortly after. Missing all of camp outs you behind the eightball, but missing a 1/4 of the season is downright stooooopid.

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
I hate that he's a Niner, or will be!! He's a dick, pure and simple, and I hate he'll be playing for one of my fav teams.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
I don't really agree with that. The 49ers lost Frank Gore for three weeks. Glen Coffee is struggling with a 2.1 YPC average. I can't see them counting on Vernon Davis or their defense for the rest of the way. They do have the 28th worst passing attack against some pretty bad teams. I think their offense only scored 14 points against probably the worst defense in the NFL to go along with 228 total yards.

The San Francisco 49ers need Michael Crabtree just as much as Michael Crabtree needs the San Francisco 49ers.
Why do you think that? Crabtree is unproven & hasn't seen the football field since last year. He's had no camp, doesn't likely know the playbook. He's not likely going to get too much playing time this year, either. He's just as likely to be a bust as he is of being any good. Crabtree needs the 49ers, though. He's not going to go any higher then a 2nd round pick if he holds out the entire year. He wouldn't be able to work out for any team until a week before the 2010 draft. He will likely lose over 15 million if he sits out any longer (deadline is in November). Crabtree needs the 9ers way more then they need him.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I really wanted him to suceed when I watched him a Tech. But now a big piece of me wants to see him fall flat on his face when/if he steps on to an NFL field. Players who think they have already proved themselves in college and have earned pro respect without playing a down in the NFL need a swift kick to the junk.
QFT. I'm a fan of TT and really enjoyed watching him play ball. He has since destroyed whatever credibility he had.

I think Deion and Rice filled his head with even more hype than he already had going into the draft. I know they aren't to be blamed, but I'd surely bet they didn't help.

dc_txtech

All Pro
Cashtree didn't exactly have the reputation of student athlete of the year while he was at Tech. What's the expression? Million dollar athlete with a ten cent head.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
Let the negotiations begin. Advantage: 49ers.

I wonder how much of a hit Crabtree is going to take with this one. Who knows? I know one thing. The 49ers medical staff better take a long long long long look at Crabtree and make sure he is fit. This whole thing has smelled to high hell since he refused to run pre-draft, and only smelled worse once he started such a destructive and unnecessary contract dispute.

I would give him the slot price for his position (10 i believe) and not a penny more. Then say, oh yeah we'll take your game checks away too for missing 4 games. If he has a problem with that, tell him to get lost and don't trade him in March. He loses his slot price then and would re-enter draft where he would fall to late 1st round and lose about 50% of his slot value at least.

This guy is such a moron. Someone gave him some big $$ because if he didn't have the big money, he would have already signed. Someone gave him some bad advice too...probably the same guy that gave him the money. Parker better be clean on this one, because this could hurt his reputation if its found that he was responsible for this hardline stance and not Crab or his hangers-on.

LonerATO

All Pro
It would be great if the 9ers dropped the offer by a million or so just to prove a point. I am pretty sure if he does not sign this month he can not play for the entire season.

Even if he does sign I doubt Singletary will be excited to see him on the field. Make his contract incentive based and then never play him.

I can see it now:

Singletary: "Crabtree!"
Crabtree: "Yeah coach ... I'm ready to play."
Singletary: "That's great. Get back on the bench."

does that maybe 5 times a game. If he mouths off even for a second or questions him he sends him to the locker room.
He has until week 10 to sign or he goes back into the draft, unless he is traded by the 49ers. Crabtree cannot workout for anyone till the day of the draft thus rendering him a later round pick. He will also have to compete against Dez Bryant, Damian Williams and Arrelious Benn to name a few.

Last edited:

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
Why do you think that? Crabtree is unproven & hasn't seen the football field since last year. He's had no camp, doesn't likely know the playbook. He's not likely going to get too much playing time this year, either. He's just as likely to be a bust as he is of being any good. Crabtree needs the 49ers, though. He's not going to go any higher then a 2nd round pick if he holds out the entire year. He wouldn't be able to work out for any team until a week before the 2010 draft. He will likely lose over 15 million if he sits out any longer (deadline is in November). Crabtree needs the 9ers way more then they need him.
I explained why but let me try once again... The 49ers have a lot of problems on offense.

Everything that you've stated is just a guess (although good ones but still guesses) just as much as I'm guessing that Crabtree will be a superstar. I think he's proved a lot during his days at Texas Tech, especially after that game winning yank against Texas.

Either way, Crabtree does not really need to be a superstar. He needs to at least play mediocre and the 49ers will have that much more talent at WR. They are just as thin as a team could be there. The 49ers have momentum right now and they need Crabtree to keep it going.

I don't think he needs the 49ers more though. He's still going to turn out to be a rich man either way, 2nd round or 10th pick. The 49ers need to capitalize on their winning ways thus far.

One more thing, he'll definitely see a lot of time this year barring injury. San Francisco isn't about to sign him to a mega-million dollar contract and not play him.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Our game is 3 weeks away. If he signs, I dont know if I would rather them get him under contract just before the game or not. He'd be rusty and they'd probably want to play their first round pick which could mean they have to deactivate someone possibly more valuable at the time who has been playing the whole season. But, he was damn good at Texas Tech so I dont want that playmaker anywhere near Reliant Stadium in 3 weeks.

dc_txtech

All Pro
Let the negotiations begin. Advantage: 49ers.

I wonder how much of a hit Crabtree is going to take with this one. Who knows? I know one thing. The 49ers medical staff better take a long long long long look at Crabtree and make sure he is fit. This whole thing has smelled to high hell since he refused to run pre-draft, and only smelled worse once he started such a destructive and unnecessary contract dispute.
FWIW, he played several games hurt last year. He originnaly hurt the ankle in the A&M game and then played several more games that season. He had to have surgery in the spring to fix it and that is why he didn't run at the combine. But your point still stands, they better make sure they get this right.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
Clarification... I do think that San Francisco has the upper hand in the contract negotiations. Don't misunderstand that to mean that I think they're even because of need.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
I explained why but let me try once again... The 49ers have a lot of problems on offense.
Yeah, you did. Sorry.

Everything that you've stated is just a guess (although good ones but still guesses) just as much as I'm guessing that Crabtree will be a superstar. I think he's proved a lot during his days at Texas Tech, especially after that game winning yank against Texas.
What was I guessing on? That Crabtree is unproven? That he's had no training camp, and hasn't seen the field since last year? That he would lose 15 million if he doesn't sign his contract in the next month?

Either way, Crabtree does not really need to be a superstar. He needs to at least play mediocre and the 49ers will have that much more talent at WR. They are just as thin as a team could be there. The 49ers have momentum right now and they need Crabtree to keep it going.
They did it all without Crabtree. They don't need some unproven rookie to keep their winning streak going.

I don't think he needs the 49ers more though. He's still going to turn out to be a rich man either way, 2nd round or 10th pick. The 49ers need to capitalize on their winning ways thus far.
Yeah, he'll still be rich, but he would lose millions. Aaron Maybin (11th pick) signed for 5 years @ 17.6 Million. Ziggy Hood (31st pick) signed for five years @ 8.7 Million. He would lose about 9 Million if he just falls that far. I personally don't see him going in the first if he re-enters next year, so I think he would lose more than that.

One more thing, he'll definitely see a lot of time this year barring injury. San Francisco isn't about to sign him to a mega-million dollar contract and not play him.
I doubt he sees a lot of time this year. He's had no training camp, hasn't seen the field in practice, & I don't know if he even knows the playbook. I doubt he starts this year.

disaacks3

Staff member
Crabtree was a spectacular receiver / athlete at the college level, the only question mark that loomed over him was how he had recovered from surgery.

To be honest, I thought he was FAR better than the #7 pick, but the injury thing messed it all up. That said, he WASN'T picked at that slot and trying to get better $$ than a guy that got picked ahead of you AT THE SAME POSITION just isn't going to fly under the "slotting" rules of the first round.

I think it's finally starting to sink into his / his agent's noggin that if they don't do something VERY soon, that the nice little signing bonus goes bye-bye!

Silver Oak

All Pro
Crabtree was a spectacular receiver / athlete at the college level, the only question mark that loomed over him was how he had recovered from surgery.

To be honest, I thought he was FAR better than the #7 pick, but the injury thing messed it all up. That said, he WASN'T picked at that slot and trying to get better $$ than a guy that got picked ahead of you AT THE SAME POSITION just isn't going to fly under the "slotting" rules of the first round.

I think it's finally starting to sink into his / his agent's noggin that if they don't do something VERY soon, that the nice little signing bonus goes bye-bye!
better than Heyward-Bey...yes, but you would really have to lay out some arguments on why you think he should have ben taken before the top 6. course it's way early yet, but I still like him in the spot he went...maybe one higher.

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
He's signing because there's no team willing to trade for him anymore, especially since the Jets traded for Braylon Edwards.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
He's signing because there's no team willing to trade for him anymore, especially since the Jets traded for Braylon Edwards.
I would not trade him anyway. Who in their right mind is going to act up with Singletary as coach. If anyone can keep him in line, it is Mike.

49's are scary with Crabtree in there. If he has recovered from his injury, he is a great receiver.

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
Hummmm, WHATEVER!!!! I LOVE the Niners, and wish them well, except on Oct 25th, soooooo, if Crabtree makes them better then so be it! Personally, because I hold grudges against arrogant, smartass rookies who haven't played a down in the NFL but think they are GOD'S gift to it, I hope Singletary benches his ass!! Probably that won't happen.

disaacks3

Staff member
better than Heyward-Bey...yes, but you would really have to lay out some arguments on why you think he should have ben taken before the top 6. course it's way early yet, but I still like him in the spot he went...maybe one higher.
No, you had it right, I'm not too sure about him being much better than a top 7 OVERALL, but he (when healthy) was a much more productive receiver than Heyward-Bey.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Did not want him signing this soon. Now he's got 2 games to knock off the rust :(
It's going to take him a lot more than that to knock off the rust. Hell just about any time a player holds out for most of camp and a little bit of pre season they don't have good rookie years. Crabtree is just now coming to this team in week 5. He won't be any real force this season. He doesn't even have a play book yet. he'll have to learn the plays, learn the offense, get chemistry with his QB, learn how to run better NFL routes as oppose to the ones he was used to at TT in the spread. He has a ton of work to do. I don't think he'll be tha tmuch of a factor this season really.

4Texans

Veteran
It's going to take him a lot more than that to knock off the rust. Hell just about any time a player holds out for most of camp and a little bit of pre season they don't have good rookie years. Crabtree is just now coming to this team in week 5. He won't be any real force this season. He doesn't even have a play book yet. he'll have to learn the plays, learn the offense, get chemistry with his QB, learn how to run better NFL routes as oppose to the ones he was used to at TT in the spread. He has a ton of work to do. I don't think he'll be tha tmuch of a factor this season really.
I agree. They're going to proceed with their game prep now. He'll have to learn a lot on his own now, because they will not wait for him to catch up with the other receivers. He'll have a few plays that Singletary will put him in on in certain situations, but don't look for him to get a lot of game time any time soon.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Did not want him signing this soon. Now he's got 2 games to knock off the rust :(
McClain said they will be receiving a 2 game exemption on the roster and he likely won't even see any playing time in the next two games. Plus it isn't rust to knock off when you never have learned an NFL system - it's knock off rust, prime and paint.