Cowher to Buffalo?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by bckey, Jan 10, 2010.

1. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

Joe Logan of EastAurora.org wrote wednesday night that Cowher is "OK" with the Bills' salary offer, but that Cowher wants a "commitment" from Russ Brandon regarding the money that would be available to sign players.

Don't know if Cowher would really sign with the Bills but there really aren't going to be that many opportunities this year to fill hc vacancies. And the teams that have vacancies are not really too enticing for big name coaches.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/07/bills-could-still-be-chasing-cowher/

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-arecowherbillsincont&prov=tsn&type=lgns

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

If Cowher shuffles off to Buffalo, that should dismiss the notion that he was unobtainable by the Texans. Of course he was obtainable. It was rumored that Houston was one of his top 2 favored landing spots.

This may hav been the best head coaching talent pool that was ever available in one offseason. Cowher, Shanahan, Carroll, possibly Gruden. But,the Texans stuck with Kubiak. OK, let's move on. However, never let it be said that the Texans couldn't have found someone better. They could have.

Imatexanfan likes this.
  3. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

exactly. cowher would have came here in a heartbeat.

but .500 Kubiak is da bomb, so lets stick with him. after all he isn't a losing head coach anymore...but he ain't a winning head coach either. just a flatlining good ole boy local hero who never met a big game he couldn't lose

4. Dan B.

Dan B. Hall of Fame

I'm done with the debate. I'm a koolaid drinking Kubiak worshiper again til next year. Or at least until the FA period.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'm not trying to re-open that can of worms. What's done is done. I just wanted to dismiss the argument that there wasn't a better option to Kubiak available to the Texans. That was a crock.

6. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Wait a moment Lucky lets be careful with that. I am not sure we could have gotten any of the names you mentioned.

Cowher to Buffalo is not a done deal. He may be trying to see if any teams he is interested in would be willing to pull a Seattle (ie dump their coach for him). I think he really wanted the Carolina job and may be holding out for that one. He may even decide to become a Head of Football operations like Holgrimm.

Shanahan was never going to come here. He is too close to Kubiak to do that. Furthermore, the Texans would not bring him in anyway. If Kubes was fired they would go in a completely different direction.

Carroll is not some dynamic coach. He was average in the NFL. He made a living beating up on a weak Pac 10 for years. I am not convinced he is going to do much in the NFL. In college he can out recruit his rivals, but its not as easy in the NFL to do that. Salary caps prevent that type of accumulation of talent. Besides he wants to be in a place that is pro-Carroll. Seattle Washington is full of USC alums that kow tow to him. Think there are a ton of USC alums in Htown that will do that?! Nah. Htown are full of UT alums. Now, if Mack Brown came to the Texans, HE would get the kow towing.

And finally we come to Gruden. I don't get what people like so much about Gruden. He took a team that Tony Dungy built and won a superbowl. When it was time for him to find additional players to keep it going he failed. He is the classic right guy in the right place situation.

So, could we have fired Kubiak, sure. And if we do next year who may be available? Well Gruden is still there. Cowher may still be there. And perhaps another hot college coach (like Harbaugh at Stanford) or the current hot coordinator like Frazier?

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The thing about Cowher, that I don't understand, is that he says he doesn't want to go somewhere that doesn't have an established QB. That's one of the things that fueled the rumor that HTown was on his short list. We have a QB, Buffalo don't.

But then the rumors are that Carolina is also on that short list. They don't have an established QB.

Cowher had trouble finding a QB that could do what he wanted him to do. He hit gold, with BigBen, but he wouldn't let him throw the ball. I can't imagine what he would have done with Schaub. Schaub can't do the things that Kordell Stewart, Charlie Batch, BigBen could do... not the things that Cowher allowed them to do anyway.

8. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I'd be shocked if Cowher went to Buffalo but I guess there is that possibility now..

but hey who ever thought Carroll would leave USC for the Seattle job?

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I believe that Seattle is a really good NFL job. It's an absolutely fantastic place to live (which may not matter to you that much if you work 100 hours a week, but it might be important to your wife and kids), you have the wealthiest owner in the NFL, you have a fan-base that from what I can tell is extremely supportive (see the whole twelfth man thing), but is a little bit more "well adjusted" than Philly, New York, and those types of fans. I don't think the media is going to be anything like he saw with the Jets or the Pats, and finally, you're coaching in the NFC West, and while the Cards have been good for a couple years, I'll believe that's sustainable when I see it.

I don't know if he'll succeed, and I don't really have a rooting interest either way, but it should be far easier to be a successful NFL head coach in Seattle that it was in either New York or Boston.

10. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I'll agree about Seattle being a great place, great job and all that but my opinion of him leaving is based solely on the "he has it made" theory...he had a tremendous few years going there in USC and it's odd that he would leave that comfort zone to take over a losing NFL team..when he's been fired from Nfl HC jobs. That's all I 'm saying.

UNLESS like others think and have posted that there is a brewing NCAA storm coming USC's way.

In that case it makes perfect sense for him to leave. Get out while the getting's good.

11. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Would anyone sacrifice this "winning" season for an 8-8 record, but with Cowher becoming our coach next year?

12. GuerillaBlack

People act like he was bad in New England though. He made the playoffs two out of three years there...

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Which doesn't make him good since he inherited a Parcells 11-5 team and they got worse each year he was there.

14. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Without naming names, yes, I think several anyone's would do that in a heartbeat!

15. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Exactly. This kills the "Cowher ONLY want to go to Carolina because of his family" nonsense. In fact, I would take it a step further and say that Cowher actually WANTED to come here.

Texans fans have been dismissively saying "Cowher would never come here" as if we're some rinky dink franchise in a small town. We are one of the top franchises in the NFL and can get any coach out there - if we wanted to.

16. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

It's sad really. It's been reported for the last two weeks that he's been assembling a coaching staff together to coach for next season. He's been obviously waiting for the right spot to open. I highly doubt that "he wants" to coach in Buffalo. The Texans probably have the most attractive HC spot right now if they would have done what was right and fired Mr. 8-8. The fact that we would ignore a HOF in Cowher to hold on to an under achiever in Kubes who has proven nothing is just sad.

17. GuerillaBlack

*sigh*

It hurts. This franchise is too loyal. Kris Brown is even still on the team.

18. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I firmly believe that he actually wanted to come here. He announces a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to coach again. Then, Carolina decides to bring back John Fox.

No word from Cowher.

Then, a few hours after Bob McNair announces that Gary will return to the Texans, Cowher leaks that he's changed his mind and doesn't want to coach.

I have no idea whether this buffalo rumor has any credibility or not. But I will say that getting Bill Cowher wouldn't have been as hard as we think.

19. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Agreed. ANd for all of those people that keep going on and on about Cowher going to Carolina didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Carolina was never going to fire Fox, because the financial consequences were going to be huge. They simply couldn't have afforded to ax Fox like that and then paid Cowher what he wanted with the situation that they're currently in. I posted a thread about this a while back actually where a writer broke the whole situation down. It was never going to happen.

I hope he doesn't go to buffalo. I'd hate to see Cowher have to go coach over there. He's one of my favorite coaches. Hopefully he'll wait it out one more season and maybe Mcnair will wake up and go after him after this next season.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Ok, break it down for me.

List all the proven, NFL, SuperBowl winning coaches who have gone on to a second team that were successful. I'm having a hard time thinking of any not named Bill Parcells, & he fell short of expectations in Dallas.

I'm not saying that Cowher can't be successful here, but I don't see anything to suggest that he would be more successful here in 2010 than Kubiak will be.