Cowher Thread: Status - Rumored that McNair likes idea of Cowher

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheCD, Dec 14, 2010.

1. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Just wanted to pass along some friendly rumor-mongering after another heartbreaker last night. Per PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/14/cowher-could-end-up-in-texas-after-all/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2010
  2. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

3. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Only 3 potential coaches i'd get rid of Kubiak for:

Cowher, Gruden and Rob Ryan.

4. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

It is PFT, after all, so don't get too worked up.

I'm not an expert on the reporters in Pittsburgh, but I would say that they are at the very least moderately credible, in this regard.

5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'd love to see Cowher come here, but I'll believe it when I see it. The Texans and Oilers histories have been nothing but heartbreak and misery and I'm not expecting that to change anytime soon.

6. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

This one is better:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-texans-season-summarized-in-one-insane-stat/

12 pack of beer says that McNair can "trade" Kubiak to Denver. McNair doesnt look like an ass firing the hometown boy and Denver takes Kubiaks contract and stays employed. McNair then hires Cowher which just makes the city of Houston adore him and he sells more merchandise and tickets.

7. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I just popped a semi

HOU-TEX likes this.
  8. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

That would be awesome, but I just casn't see McNair being that aggressive. He's the kind of guy that shakes your hand and says "I'm going to let you go so you can do what makes you happy."

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

My prediction is that early on Cowher will consistently indicate that another team is likely his first choice over the Texans by a fairly wide margin - primarily because the Texans recruiting effort is uninspired. Over the last half of the selection process, the Texans PR/Marketing machine led by Bob and Cal McNair crank their efforts up to full blast. This results in the Texans gradually increasing their attractiveness to Cowher until he indicates it's a dead heat between the Texans and Team X. Bob and Cal rejoice that their efforts have gotten them back into the competition, and revert to the original recruiting efforts. Shortly after that, it will be announced that Cowher is the new GM/VP of Football Operations, and Head Coach for Team X.

Jackie Chiles and keyser like this.
  10. gary

gary Hall of Fame

The only thing holding the team back from having any one of those guys is Bob's pocket book.

11. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

Dont need to be that aggressive. It is an easy out for both McNair and Kubiak. If he has had even the remotest idea about replacing Kubiak its a win/win for everyone involved.

Well except for the liquor stores and heart surgeons in the Houston area.

12. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I'm not sure that this is any more than speculation on the part of the Pittsburgh writer.

Even so, this is a painfully obvious deduction. The best out of work coach would probably want to go to the team that already has the players in place and would require the least amount of work.

13. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

The NFL changed the rules after the Tampa/Oakland trade of Gruden. You can no longer trade a coaches contract for draft-picks.

14. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

Couple 12 packs of Coors Light then?

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Me too.....until I got to your post of poppin one as well.

Seriously, I just don't see this happening. It's just too good to be true. Cowher would still need to bring in a DC with a ground-draggin sack to give us a defense worth a darn

Hardcore Texan likes this.
  16. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I'm pretty sure the Chiefs and the Jets did the same thing with Herm Edwards since the Gruden trade.

17. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think the game is already afoot. Cowher has stated recently that he will discuss any possible positions after the season is over. He's interested in coaching again. That statement puts a warm glow in Bob McNair's heart. It means that nobody like Jerry Jones will come along and snap up Cowher before the end of the season. It also tells McNair that Cowher is a stand up guy who isn't going to hover over currently struggling coaches jobs like a buzzard waiting for an opportunity (all while allowing him to do just that). He basically told every owner out there who's looking for a coach that he'll wait until the season is over to consider offers which puts him in their minds eye without making them move on him right now. Everybody gets to be classy about things that way. Bob likes that.

He can let the last three weeks play out with Gary without hearing his teams fans ***** that somebody else will hire Cowher while he sits on his hands.

I think next year Bill Cowher will be the head coach of the Houston Texans if Bob McNair wants him. I've thought that for some time now. He "fits" both our needs and our owners personality. McNair has a franchise-crush on the Steelers and this plays right into it. Cowher wants to win right away and not come in and rebuild a train wreck and I think he believes he can do that here.

19. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

We should start a petition of some sort directed at Bob, saying that we we all commit to buying a minimum of $100 of gear from the Texans' store when Cowher is named our HC. Until then we will hold off from buying any more stuff.

20. cdollaz

cdollaz All Pro

I'd be willing to throw Jacoby in as well.