Cowher "open" to a return to coaching.

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by MFG16, Dec 10, 2010.

1. MFG16

MFG16 Veteran

2. False Start

False Start On # 69

We can only hope. I would love for him to come to the Texans, but I think the chances are slim.

3. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I'm tired of people dismissively saying "Cowher wants to go to Carolina. Get over it."

No, he doesn't. I "get" that people have assumed that, for various reasons, including the fact that he lives there. But that doesn't mean squat.

Cowher wants a team that's ready to roll, a team that needs to be tweaked instead of re-built. He wants a team with a QB that's ready, so he can focus on defense.

Out of all the potential openings during the off season, we're the most attracitve. I'm tired of people assuming that Cowher won't come here or that we won't be able to get a top notch coach.

Mr. White likes this.
  4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think we will make a good try but others will just beat us out.

5. houstonspartan

Why are the chances slim? Why couldn't we get him?

I'm SO tired of the defeatest thinking of this fan base.

Yeesh. Grow a pair, people.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

When this discussion came up last year someone spotted that his Carolina house was up for sale. Don't know what happened.

7. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

8. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

We need to have a head coach opening before we could hire the Chin. It doesn't look like we are going to get our wish based on the owners words the past few weeks.

9. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

agreed. all McNair needs to show is that he is done with being so cheap err frugal with the money. if he can show that he is willing to spend the money it takes to fill these glaring holes and he is willing to pay Cowher and his assistants top money, we will be in good spot to secure his coaching services.

what job opening has more promise or possible instant turn-around? that's right. there isn't one.

Denver - No QB. Bad D. Ailing owner. Little talent.
    Carolina - No QB. Lots of holes in the roster. Tough division.
    Dallas - No QB (Romo is the white Warren Moon...choker extraordinaire) Aging team.
    Buffalo - Next.
    Minnesota - No QB. Outside shot though because they do have talent.
    San Diego - One of the few spots where I would choose them over Houston.
    Arizona - No QB. Replacing a friend would be tough for Cowher too.
    Cincinnatti - Not as far-fetched as you would think. Steelers division foe though?
    Cleveland - Cowher played for the Browns but would he want to be in Steeler's division. (see above)
    Houston - QB in place. Talent on both sides of ball. Vacuum of power where Cowher would be the man and savior.

I think Houston is tied with San Diego for most appealling jobs this offseason (and that is if Norv and/or Kubiak are even fired)

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  10. Ranger Tom

Ranger Tom Hall of Fame

I assume people are saying that because other teams have openings and we don't...yet.

If we ever do find ourselves with a head coaching vacancy, I think there's enough talent on the current roster to get Mr. Cowher's attention.

11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Why does it take balls to believe that McNair will make a decision contrary to the M.O. that he's clearly established the past decade?

Look, I want Kubiak gone like most Texans fans these days. But, I'm also pragmatic about our owner's history of über-loyalty toward mediocre employees with nice personalities.

The simple fact is that believing McNair will both fire Kubiak soon and hire a very pricey HC like Cowher is beyond blind faith and more in the area of delusional optimism. I don't mind if people partake in this particular mental exercise, but I'm not going to call anyone out for buying or not buying into it.

I'm not saying that it won't or can't happen, but rather having balls has nothing to do with believing that it will, in fact, happen. We have been conditioned as Texans fans to give up false hopes, to expect mediocrity to be rewarded by the owner, and accept that mediocre results is always given an extra free pass beyond it's worn out welcome.

My only real hope is that my hunches are proven wrong, wrong, wrong about McNair's intentions with Kubiak. I still think he'll be here in 2011 with a newly hired coach named Wade on his staff.

12. Blake

Blake MMQB

Top spots for Cowher to land.

Dallas
    Carolina
    NY Giants

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I don't think San Diego would give Cowher the amount of power he'd want with AJ Smith being there.

14. houstonspartan

Bob McNair has one of the most profitable sports franchises on the planet earth, and he's staring at an economy that has stalled. If he wants to keep his profitable franchise humming along, he'd better MOVE HIS ASS. He is providing a service. His customers are not happy. It's that simple.

15. houstonspartan

Accordoing to whom?

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

You and I both understand this and desire the same things.

However, the difference between us is that you think it can/will happen. :fingergun:

17. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Right now, Dallas is one Roy Williams fumble from being 4-0 under Jason Garrett, the Giants are tied for first place, and there's lots of skepticism about whether Jerry Richardson would pay Cowher what he requires.

When you look at the teams that would throw so much money at Cowher that he almost couldn't turn it down, you've basically got the Cowboys and the Redskins. I already pointed out why the Cowboys may not even choose to enter the competition, and Snyder's already got Shanahan.

I honestly don't think there's a "favorite" for Cowher as long as there are so many unknowns about who's gonna get fired, and who might survive solely due to the potential lockout (this category would include Kubiak), but if you put together a list of places Cowher could realistically be coaching next year, there's little doubt in my mind that Houston's on that list.

18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Could it be that his wife was getting more ill at that time. Now that his wife has died, he may have much less ties to "staying at home."

19. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Cowher has said he wants to go to a place where he can win immediately. He has also been rumored to really wants the Giants HC job. Unless the Giants fold these next 4 weeks I can't see them firing Coughlin. IF they do however I would bet the house Cowher would be the Giants next coach.

Since that is unlikely the Texans would appear to meet his criteria. However whether he comes here or not will depend on McNair. Would he pay him the money that it would take to get him here? Will he continue to be "Mr. Nice Guy" and hang on to Kubiak too long?

20. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Son... of.. a... biscuit.

It's the perfect storm - Denver job is opening up, Elway may go back to the front office, Houston job (may) be opening up.....

do it.