Cowboys Whining & Bellyaching about HOF Voting

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by nunusguy, Jan 29, 2006.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

2. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Must be folks from UT, whine just like them.

3. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I know my opinion doesn't mean much and I'll be accused of whining or whatever but the Cowboys only have something like 5 players in the HOF....that's not very many.

John McClain, who is a voter, said there is a bias. He said there is no other reason for some really great players being overlooked.

It can't be proven and it's up to each voter to vote his conscience but I've heard people even say Troy Aikman doesn't belong. So yea I question why some teams have so many and some not so many.

4. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

they haven't had too many all-time great players. the media overrates them so much that it seems there must be a bias against them for there not to be more 'girls in the HOF, but in reality, they don't belong

5. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

This is an argument that I'm not gonna win.

If you complain you're whining. I wasn't but I'll be thought of that way just because I answered the thread.

If you point out names people are gonna say they were just average.

Bob Hayes is the first name that comes to my mind.

6. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I admit that I don't know many past Cowboys players to make an argument (or many of the other 70s and early 80s players for that matter), but I would agree that many of the guys the Cowboys had on their 1990s teams are not really worthy of being in the Hall of Fame, they had some great players and then a bunch of solid role players around them that did their job. Aikman, Emmitt, maybe Irvin, Larry Allen, probably Deion all belong in the Hall once they're eligible, but other than that I don't know if any of the others do.

7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I would like to add Darren Woodson to that list. He was a very good SS and for over a decade was a fixture in their secondary, really underated.

8. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Rayfield Wright is the one who's been screwed. 6 time pro-bowler.

If the Cowboys would have won SB XIII, they would probably have Wright and a couple others in the Hall.

9. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Yeah, it's the media that overrates us. It's not like we've been in more Super Bowls than any other team or had 20 consecutive winning seasons.

It's because we don't/didn't have players that belong. :rolleyes:

BTW, the same media that "overrates" them is the same media that does the voting.

10. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I'm sorry, but I've decided that # of pro-bowl selections can be misleading.
    Its a popular vote with a lot of fan input, and fans certainly don't tend to be objective. And many times the pro-bowl selections come after a player is
    on the down side of his career. Now all-pro selections, while not perfect,
    are more meaningful and should carry more weight in measuring a players
    relative abilities and consideration for HOF membership.

11. DFAN

DFAN Veteran

That is true. If they would had won one of the SB's against the Steelers there would be more in.

12. Texans>Colts

Texans>Colts Veteran

its because the cowboy fans r *******s

13. DFAN

DFAN Veteran

I'm not for sure on this but I belive the fans did not vote in the 60's and 70's.

The media isnt always objective either.

14. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Fans didn't vote for the Pro Bowl in the 70's. In fact, I don't think fan voting started until the late 90's.

If you think Pro Bowls are trivial, Wright was named first or second team All-Pro each season from 1971 through 1976, earned three All-NFC honors and was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 1970s.

I watched him play over his entire career and his induction is long overdue.

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

If he had 5 consecutive years as an all pro (whether it was first or second team) and all-decade 70s team, that's impressive. But anyway, with this kind of elaboration its easy to see that the guy has a very strong resume.
    And I did not know that pro bowl selections didn't include fan participation back then, but to me they carry more weight without that input.

16. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

At least pro football puts SOME guys in. The baseball HOF is so elite that Cy Young wouldn't make the cut if he had to be re-voted in.

17. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Rayfield Wright is the only player from that All-70's decade team not in the Hall of Fame.

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

NFL Films had a show about the '70's Steelers. A couple of those guys who are in the hall said several other Cowboys deserved to be in the hall and it was only one or two plays from having been the decade of the Cowboys. IMO the hall of fame opposition is correct and several guys, Wright included, should be inducted.

19. jgl35

jgl35 Site Contributor

Wright should be in the HOF, but the real crime is that Bob Hayes is not already there. If any one thinks this post comes from a Cowboy fan"whining", I am a life long Eagle fan. Both were great players and should be in the HOF.

20. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

It's a travesty that Bob Hayes is not in the HOF and really it's too late to matter because he's gone.