Cowboys to hire Jason Garrett

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TexanSam, Jan 24, 2007.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

2. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Know of any other owners that would hire their OC before the HC? It would seem to me that if you're going to hire a HC that's a leader, he'd like to have some level of input as to who will be the OC.

I'd actually be cool with Garrett as the HC though.

3. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

That's a bizarre move, but then again, this is Jerry Jones. Same guy who made Dave Campo and Chan Gailey coaches of America's Team.

4. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

crap. garrett is going to be great.

5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I'm torn as a Cowboy fan growing up through. I don't like the idea of Norv if they decide he needs more offensive help and I'm not sure of Phillips and how he would do after other stints. I think Garrett definitely has the smarts and moxy to be a great coach but I'm a little put off that you would go O-coordinator and then tell the new coach..."I've put together your staff." Overall, after some seasoning, I like Garrett as a long time NFL coach.

Please_Evolve likes this.
  6. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

Kudos. Agreed on the coaching staff sentiment. My thoughts are...why do people keep rehashing Norv Turner? Hell I would've looked like a bloody Genious with the Offense he had in the nineties. I think he should finally...FINALLY get lumped whether better or worse one of those guys that's a great Coordinator. But just not a headcoach. That's nota knock really... just one of those things.

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Kind of like Dom Capers!!!

8. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

what a far cry from what the Cowgirls used to be as far as organization and doing things the correct way.

9. aquafin

aquafin Rookie

I hate that Garrett is leaving our team. I think he just might end up the head coach in Dallas. It makes more sense to make him the coach and then get him some help in the form of a good O coordinator, rather than make him the O coordinator and giving him some help from a head coach. What coach would want to coach in that situation...knowing that this guy will soon take your job.

Saban wanted to take him to Alabama, but Garrett wouldn't go. Obviously he is well respected around the league by people who know him and have worked with him previously.

I say just make him the HC.

10. Aztequila

Aztequila Rookie

I think the Cowboys are going to make a run at Rivera, just picked up Jason Garrett just in case it doesnt work out with him. Then they will just have to find a another offensive coordinator

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I hope. With two young minds like that I'd take it.

12. Texan_Aggie222

Texan_Aggie222 Rookie

Rivera or Lovie Smith? I think Jones made the smart move and got Garrett for at least insurance, but boy it would look embarrassing if Jones has to promote him to head coach if he doesn't land his guy.......

13. Aztequila

Aztequila Rookie

Whoever the cowboys pick, I think it will be a defensive guy, the offense in Dallas is set, they need to bring in a strong defensive minded coach to even it out. I still think Ron Rivera is the guy they want, as Lovie Smith is pretty much out of the picture now.

14. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I've got no problem with Jason in any capacity on the Cowboys staff. He always was a really bright guy.

15. aquafin

aquafin Rookie

How do you know that Garrett is a 'Yes' man. Don't sell him short there. he's a bright guy with a lot of potential. This just might turn out well for Dallas in the long run. Some times you just have to take a gamble. I really think he will rise to the occasion.

16. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Jones' responsibility to the team extends well beyond the interests of Bill Parcells. It's no secret that Parcells wasn't going to coach in Dallas forever. And it's not as if Jerry's plans were to show Bill the door as soon as he felt Garrett was able to take over the HC duties.

17. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I don't know that I read as much into the hiring of Jason as the Cowboys head coach as others although I would have no opposition to him becoming just that.

Miami gave the Cowboys a very short window in which to interview and hire Jason if they wanted to do so. Something like a day or maybe two.

So if Jerry wanted Jason in any capacity (which he obviously did) he had to hire him right then and there.

The fact that he was not named head coach right then and there makes me think Jerry is looking at others for that postion. Message board searching this morning I keep seeing the name of Ron Rivera and Gary Gibbs.

I'm not real sorry to see Bill go. I think it was time.

18. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Absolutely.

Personally, I'd rather see them go ahead and name Garrett the HC now.

Norv Turner - Has had two opportunities to be a head coach and failed at both. Great coordinator...not so great HC.
    Wade Phillips - See Norv Turner.
    Ron Rivera - Employs a Cover 2 defense. This defense is built for a 3-4 and Roy Williams is nothing close to being a Cover 2 safety.

19. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I agree. He is a Princeton guy and was basically second coach when he played. He has alot of the qualifications and background that Peyton had. He may need a little experience but from what I heard from my family up there JJ was disappointed Peyton got away and wanted to do the same with Garrett once they got the window. I don't like the choices they want to bring in with him and I don't like having a guy in place if there is another coach..but I do like Garrett.

20. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Wade Phillips is in Dallas being interviewed so he's definitely on the radar.