Cowboys New Head Coach Is.....

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Toro, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Toro

Toro Veteran

Wade Phillips, according to ESPN.

2. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

3. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Just heard it on Mike and Mike, too.

4. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Posted two weeks ago...

I guess I'm indifferent.

I don't see Phillips being the answer. However, if he's not the answer, that just means Garrett will take over that miuch sooner. IMO, that's a good thing.

5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

You may be right but I'm highly disappointed. I wasn't a fan of any retread but Turner with Rivera and Garrett would have been my choice if Jerry was going that way. I think that would have caused problems with 2 young studs as coordinators though. With the new stadium, etc I think this is a weak call. I think Singletary could have done the job too. He will never come out and say it but there were rumors that Turner didn't want Owens and I think JJ is enamored with him.

If it shows me one thing it shows me JJ may be willing to see what happens and if this doesn't work he can try and make a splash with Cowher or someone else.

6. old football fan

old football fan Veteran

Who really cares, it's the COWBOYS!!!

7. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

not all that surprised. joan picked a guy he could push around with phillips. i hope dallas fans know how good they had it with parcells. joan should just name himself head coach as well as general manager.

8. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

solid hire.

9. Blu

Blu All Pro

I know Bum.... and Wade is no Bum.

:doot:

Nice Hire Gals..

10. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

This one doesn't.

34-32 record over 4 years
    0-2 in the playoffs
    2-3 record over the last 5 weeks each of the past two seasons.

Certainly we could've done worse. But we also could've done much better. Only time will tell (and it'll take a good bit of time) before it's determined how 'fortunate' we were to have had Parcells.

11. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

how many HC jobs is this guy going to get before they get it.....oh wait he's the next bill belli.

12. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

I'm cool with the hire. I think that a lot was learned during the Campo era, and the future of the team should be bright. A kid of Bum's can't be too bad.

13. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

I think he's going to be okay but he's not the one that takes this team to the next level.

Problem is, "okay" is not the standard in Dallas and that is what he'll be measured by. He's in a no-win situation. If he does well, it'll be because of the team Parcells put together. If not, out the door ya go.

14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Here are the positives

1) The team still has talent in place

2) Though not an exciting hire(I am not thrilled), the guy did go to the playoffs 3 times with the Bills

3) He is a master of the 3-4 and the Cowboys do have aforementioned talent in place. People kept wanting someone to mentor Romo and to fix the offense yet the defense folded like a cheap law chair at the end of the season. Draft a safety, put Roy where he bleongs and coach them right and they could have a stud D.

4) This solidifies Garrett at O-coordinator. Why do I think he will do well...I'll answer how I did on another board...The guy is a Princeton grad. He was a back up QB for I believe 12 years. In most of these stints he rarely played but helped with calling signals, scout team, etc and was pretty much a second coach. After he stopped playing he became a QB coach. To me he reminds me very much of a Sean Peyton. He came highly recommnded by most players and coaches that had worked with him....Jimmy, Aikman, etc. I bacially think that he has been grooming himself since 1993 for a coaching gig and has been behind the scenes enough to absorb alot of what he has seen. I think if you add his smarts, experience in the game, his player/coach stints as of late and coming from a coaching family and it will add up to a successful coaching career.

So all in all things could go well but there is always the looming specter of JJ sitting there wanting to keep Owens and to meddle with the draft.

15. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I don't have a problem with Wade. Funny how so many were so sure it'd be Norv.

16. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

but i think parcells was one guy who joan couldnt push around. now joan has a yes man in phillips and still controls the personnel decisions most likely. phillips wont even have a say on his full staff since jones already picked his O-coordinator for him in garrett.

17. Charter PSL Fan

Charter PSL Fan Rookie

I always liked Wade but now if he is a cowgirl I dislike him as I do that whole orginazation. Carl Mauck is PO'd

18. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Bum Phillips rooting for the Cowboys now. That's probably a hard pill to swallow for those of you that followed the Oilers.

19. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

What exactly was learned? I just do not feel he is that big of an upgrade over Campo. HE HAS MAN BOOBS!!! Seriously, now that I live in big D this makes me more sad than I was expecting. To me this is just a return to the 5-11 years. I could see Turner pulling out due to Jones reminding him of the other 2 owners he has worked with, Al Davis and Daniel Synder. Even though Parcells did not get the job done on the field, his work in shaping the roster should be a sign that Jones needs an equal in personel decisions.

20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

My biggest worry is that Parcells was the guy doing the drafting while he was here.

His players make up a large portion of the impact players.

Jerry Jones has gotten lucky in the draft a few times, but after the first 2 rounds the guy has no clue.

I just dont think that the Cowboys will be able to draft like Bill did, whether Phillips has a say in the decision or not.