Cowboys' Five Most Humiliating Losses

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by grinch1134, Oct 11, 2006.

1. grinch1134

grinch1134 Veteran

I'm a Texan trapped in Cowgirls country. This article was in the Star Telegram this morning. http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/15730698.htm

The Texans game was number one and these cowgirls fans act like this game means nothing?

1. Expansion surprise

Houston 19, Cowboys 10

Sept. 8, 2002

The Texans become the first NFL team in 41 years to win their expansion debut. The game is tied 10-10 in the fourth quarter at Reliant Stadium before rookie quarterback David Carr hits Corey Bradford on a 65-yard touchdown pass. Later, Quincy Carter was sacked in the end zone for a safety, above. Said Texans defensive end Gary Walker: "We ruined their season."

2. Bamaborn-Texasbred

Bamaborn-Texasbred All Pro

If they lose this Sunday, it will definitely rank somewhere in that top five. They are going to have to do something really dumb to lose to the Texans.

I'm not trying to anger anyone on the board here. I love the Texans. That is just my honest opinion.

3. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

It would be less of an upset than the beating they received in 2002.

4. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

Nah, it's in the bag. The Texans are 1-0 in the all important stat - repeat matches against teams who they beat in Week 1 of an NFL regular season.

And I just don't see how you can get any more relevant than that.

5. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

That list has a glaring ommission. I'm trying to remember the year but one season the Bears tore the Cowboys up so badly it made the cover of Sports Illustrated. If I'm not mistaken (and I might very well be) the score was something like 44-0

It was a complete humiliation. I can't believe it didn't even make the list here.

6. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

Houston Texans
    Houston Texans
    Houston Texans Number One!

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

9. HowBoutThemCowboys!

HowBoutThemCowboys! All Pro

This article hits right on of the most painful memories of the Cowboys history (at least in my viewing history.) All training camp, our team had been magnified by an ESPN reality show-- Dave Campo would make embarrasing attempts at Knute Rockne speeches. The once fine tranining camps of Tom Landry had been ridiculed by this seemingly stupid idea.

Then finally comes game one at Reliant, nationally on ESPN. The Cowboys were hoping this would finally be the year of an emergence of greatness-- La'Roi Glover had been signed, Roy Williams drafted-- there was no where to go up from here.. I watched David Carr strike 7 points, somewhat smiling, not realizing the implications this game would have for the Cowboys during the next four years. That smile I had on my face soon dissappeared in a state of shock in the fourth quarter, when it hit me after Quincy Carter had been sacked for a safety-- we're actually, really going to lose this game.

10. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

Ya know, it is almost midnight , don't fall asleep at your keyboard. You may want to hit the rack before it gets too late. As for Texas Stadium moments, I love how all 12 Cowboy fans were so pissed when TO spiked the ball on the star and now magically you are all fans. Sorry, but I have this thing in my system called integrity. If McNair hired the guy that took a poop on my teams symbol, I would have to tell the team to get bent until that guy left.

11. HowBoutThemCowboys!

HowBoutThemCowboys! All Pro

Forgive and forget, that's the true integrity. What Terrell did may seem irrational, but he was a younging trying to make a name for himself, we all do stupid things. In some aspects, I view his embracing of the Dallas Star as a compliment to what the Star truley depicts- a tradition of excellency.

12. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Umm...bull****... When someone mocks your symbol its not a compliment, trust me. The one good thing that came out of that, other then the Cowboys being rediculed, is TO getting knocked out. You two deserve each other

13. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

Moonie-Moonie-Moonie

Have fun with that arranged marriage of yours.

:cool:

14. jgl35

jgl35 Site Contributor

15. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

It meant that instead of going 6-10, we were 5-11. The idea that the loss put us in a tailspin in which we never recovered is foolish thinking.

If you need an example of how that loss would've meant something, think of Dallas as a playoff team that year and instead of losing to Houston in Week 1, we lose to Houston in Week 17 that seals our fate from making the playoffs. THEN the loss would've meant something.

Otherwise it's just an opinion from a writer of the Star-Telegram.

16. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

My dear Anakin, I fear it is too late for you. You have embraced the dark side.

I discuss this some in my latest Texans FanHouse post: Link: Do the Dallas Cowboys Have the Most Obnoxious Fans in the NFL?

Stuff like talking about Terrell embracing the Dallas Star in the same sentence as tradition of excellency is a little vomity. You don't really believe that, do you?

Check out Keshawn stats, BTW.

17. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

......that is wonderful

18. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I can say I take the 2-14 season as a "tradition of excellence" and it would make more sense.

19. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I was thinking of that too. The home loss to the Bears in 1985. We are talking about two playoff teams that year. Granted that Bears team was one of the best SB teams of all time, but the Cowboys were a 10-6 team. Losing 44-0 at home is inexcussible for a playoff team.

20. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

I can agree that the change that needed to be made by the new owner could have been done in a more diplomatic way. But wasn't that during the time that that was the most chosen was to terminate employees? I recall folk being locked out of buildings here in houston, and taxis lined up to get them off the property. After seeing people with file boxes and potted plants on the 6:00 news, it made such an impact on me that from that point I only kept enough personal belongings in my office that I could put a purse or briefcase. If someone wanted to see my kids, then I took out my wallet.

Also, Bud Adams fired Bum Phillips in a similar manner even though he had a winning season.