Cowboy's first round pick Claiborne and his 4 on the wonderlic

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by gtexan02, Apr 27, 2012.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Pretty funny. If I wasn't convinced he wasn't intelligent from his low score, his new answer of purposefully doing badly makes me even more convinced he's not intelligent.

Seriously, they are asking you to answer some questions over a 12 minute period. This may or may not affect how many millions of dollars you get in less than a few months. And you blow it off? Yup, genius...

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...borne-dallas-cowboys-blew-wonderlic-test-says

2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Doesn't matter. He's a pro football player now.

Dallas looking to trade 2008 1st round pick CB Mike Jenkins now...

3. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I don't get why some people continue to place an emphasis at all on wondelic scores.

If Mercilus scored an 8, but has a double digit sack rookie campaign would you care?

4. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

I still can't believe the Rams made that trade.

When trading up to the top 10, I would expect more picks. Get at least an extra late rounder. Great deal of the Cowboys though.

5. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I'd give a sixth for Jenkins at this point.

6. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

According to Sportrac, he would only cost a new team 1.05 million in base salary this year. That is certainly affordable, but he will be a free agent in 2013, which makes him a 1 year rental. Anyone think Wade wants him?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/mike-jenkins/

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Of course I wouldn't care. But thats not a useful question. Would you care if someone ran a 5.5 40 but had 1500 yards and 15 TDs as a rookie? Of course not.

The point is, all predraft measurements (physical, emotional, intellectual) are intended to help NFL teams predict the successfulness of their future picks. What they do once they are in the NFL trumps all predraft measurements, as again, those are only intended to help predict.

Have you seen NFL playbooks? They are usually immense and the wonderlic is a 12 minute way for teams to find out how smart someone is and how analytical their mind is

It seems like there is not a statistically significant correlation between wonderlic and player performance, but at the same time, I don't imagine that the people scoring in single digits have a very strong case (VY for example)

dc_txtech likes this.
  8. Blake

Blake MMQB

So if he doesnt agree with something he just blows it off? Good to know.

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Rams still get a stout defender in the middle since they didn't trade back too far and pick up another pick that is in a round where they should expect a starter with that roster. I liked it for them since they have a ton of needs.

On the thread...the wonder lick is overrated in evaluating corners. Ask Deion.

10. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

If Mercilus ran a 5.0 40 yard dash, would you care? If he has a double digit sack rookie campaign, no.

But it's a stat you evaluate beforehand to try to get a handle on if this guy has what it takes to be successful.

You don't need to be a genius to play football. But if you have a really low score it might indicate a future problem when you try to learn the playbook or a you might have a problem understanding coaching.

So the wonderlic is just like anything else they measure at the Combine; it's just another data point to consider beforehand to try to determine how good or bad a player someone's going to be.

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

here's what Seth Payne had to say about this. :)

12. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

Bruce Eugene scored 41.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  13. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I think what gtexan was getting at is not his actual score but his approach to the test. That says more about his personality, character or work ethic than anything. He's a great player and will probably be good. But he's asked to perform a certain exercise that every single player in the nfl has been asked to do and he blows it off. JJ Watt, Demeco Ryans and Andre Johnson wouldn't think they were "too good" for it or that it shouldn't apply to them.

What this shows me is his poor attitude and he may not be the best "team player". Could hint at issues in the future of him not giving full effort.

I also don't like it when fans downgrade certain events or tests that these prospects take. Individually they may mean little but when looking at the totality of all their "scores" it paints a much better picture.

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Exactly. The low Wonderlic is a red flag. The red flag raised in this case is his attitude.

Could be a situation where the coaches ask this guy to do something and he blows them off because he doesn't see the point. Could be a situation where he's the type that disregards the "details" and so he's in the wrong spots at times because he doesn't take the time to get everything right.

15. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Are semi-aquatic sub-Saharan mammals allowed to play NFL?:kitten:

A score of 4 is stoooopid, but at the same time, you have to hope that his on-field ability helps him to overcome it, you'd also have to say that whilst his comments on the matter seem to show laziness, he doesn't come across as particularly intellectually challenged, and the scouts will have had chance to get more of a feeling about that in interviews.

16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Yeah, except for one thing:

He was drafted #6 overall. If he made a 21 on the Wonderlic, do you think he would have been drafted #1 overall? And what is the monetary difference between #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6? Because the initial contract is the only time the Wonderlic could really affect him, and it didn't. His future wealth depends on his production, not his Wonderlic.

I can see an argument that his flippant attitude would be cause for concern in the Cowboys organization, but that didn't stop them from drafting him #6 and thus ensuring him millions of dollars.

17. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

He didn't know he was going to go #6 overall when he was at the test though. In 2010 AJ Green went #4 overall and Julio Jones went two spots later at #6. The difference between #4 and #6 was 19.7million guaranteed and 16.1 million guaranteed. 2 spots equated to 3.6 million over 4 years. Thats almost a million dollars a year. Thats a lot of money.

I'm not saying if he had scored a 25 that he would have been drafted at #4 overall, but what I'm saying is that when he took it, he had no idea that the Cowboys wanted him badly enough to ignore his horrible test. 12 minutes of effort for a million a year and he has such a bad attitude that he ignores it? He got lucky that Dallas needed a corner and Jerry takes headcases is the real moral of this story

18. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

I still can't believe the Bucs traded down 2 slots for a 4th round pick and missed this guy. They better hope that Alabama safety they drafted turns out to be another Ronnie Lott or John Lynch.

19. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I know Jason Garrett has to put positive spin on this topic, it's his job to BS us, but how can he possibly think that a rookie player who only does what he wants to, only what he thinks is important, is coachable.

20. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

Four
    Cuatro
    Shi
    cuat
    Foe!
    What a MOE-RAHN!