Cowart vs. Ryans?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Aug 14, 2006.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Did cowart play at all on Sunday? If yes, how'd he do? If no, why not? Who is expected to start week 1? As much as I like the upside of Ryans, I think the run-stopping ability of Cowart, plus his veteran know-how, gives him the edge on paper. I haven't seen or heard much yet, though, so I'd be curious what ya'll think

2. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

He didn't record any stats. I think I saw him on the field in the second but I could be wrong.

Ryans brings a lot more to the table than Cowart. And Ryans is going to be the leader of this defense for many years to come so why not get him indoctrinated this year?

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Yes, he did play. I didn't really notice him. Maybe someone else will chime in. I think DeMecco will be the starter. He's got too much talent and potential not to be in there for week 1.:redtowel:

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

While this may be true, I heard a lot of "He made rookie mistakes" type comments on the game thread. I don't know a lot about Cowart, but it would be nice if he was as good as he is supposed to be, and I would rather start him than put Ryans into the fire

5. the wonger need food

Why??? The last two defensive rookies of the year were middle linebackers. Ryans could be better than both of them.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I've stated since we drafted Demeco that he would stuggle to keep the staring spot or perhaps even make the team since he has limited mobility.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Yes, he did make a few mistakes typical for a rookie. IMO, the plays he did make made up for them. He's a smart player and I look for him to learn quickly from the mistakes he made. I would still rather have him in the middle than anyone we currently have on the staff.

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I'm assuming you're speaking of Cowarts lack of mobility? I thought DeMecco was swarming the ball quite nicely.

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Can you elaborate on this? You have his picture in your avatar, and next to it the caption "ROY," yet you are unsure if he'll make the Texans? I don't know much about the kid, other than he's a smart guy who plays with a lot of heart. Does he lack some sort of physical requirements? Is he slow, short, etc? Fill me in!!

10. Peldon

Peldon All Pro

I think the "he" Vinny was talking about is Cowart.

11. the wonger need food

He's talking about Cowart.

Ryans will be the leader of this defense for the next decade or so.

12. Chance_C

Chance_C Site Contributor

Yeah, you must be right. It had me kinda confused also. I mean I know he's not the fastest guy on the field, but limited mobility shoulda gave it away for me.

13. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

You've got a lot of people scratching their heads with this one, pal. Please tell me you are talking about Cowart or somebody and not our new LB that was one pick away from being a first round draft pick.

14. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

Kinda how the bengals did odell thurman last season, put him in the middle(RYANS) and let him play the entire year i think he will have a better season than odell did if not equal.

15. Mysteryhunt

Mysteryhunt Veteran

ryans was around every play and tackling anything he could get his hands on. sure he made a few mistakes, but i love the defensive intensity he brings from the middle.

16. the wonger need food

I would rather compare him to Vilma, but if he has the kind of year that Thurman had last year, we would be pretty happy with that.

To the original post.... This guy is going to be a special player, especially if our defensive line is good enough to consistently warrant double-teams.

17. Vinny

I've stated since we drafted Demeco that he (Cowart) would struggle to keep the staring spot or perhaps even make the team since he has limited mobility. I've never glossed positively on the Cowart signing...at any point.

18. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

Figured that is what you meant. Sorry if I'm a step slow (like Cowart).

19. Vinny

eh, I'm sloppy...I understand the confusion. ;)

20. goodnews boy

goodnews boy Rookie

I can see the team having a good year(6 or7 wins) but I don't see them making it to the Playoffs. I say why not leave him in and make the rookie mistakes. Next year he will have a full season under his belt,