Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Could Troy Smith be better then VY?

LORK 88

Wreck'em Ŧech!
Vince Young has something that Troy Smith does not. That is the fire burning in VY that does not allow him to quit, what got UT the Rose Bowl.
Troy is more NFL ready, Vince is the bigger gamble and obviously could be the better in the long run. As of right now though, I think Troy could do more if Vince doesnt prove anything.

Also, I forgot Ohio State was already out of contention for the National Championship . . .

Huge

All Pro
Troy is more NFL ready, Vince is the bigger gamble and obviously could be the better in the long run. As of right now though, I think Troy could do more if Vince doesnt prove anything.

Also, I forgot Ohio State was already out of contention for the National Championship . . .
They're still in contention because Vince is already in the NFL.

I will refrain from posting :shades:

I have been saying "Smith, Houston Texan 2007."
But your a buckeye, therefore your opinion is worthless...jk. I think VY is one of the top 10 greatest college quarterbacks ever. He has the ability to take a team on his back and carry them like very few people can. Untill Smith shows that kind of ability, VY is still the better player. As a thrower, Smith is better, but as overall player, VY every time.

TexansLucky13

53d Signal Batt
It is completely obvious to me how a QB who gambles will inevitably succeed in the NFL.

:sarcasm:

BuffSoldier

Veteran
If VY didnt throw side arm we wouldnt even be having this conversation. And dont say that Smith is more accurate, VY did throw to his TE alot last year, but look at the tapes from last season, VY threw one of the prettiest deep balls in the country, just ask Troy Smith, he saw it last year at the end of that game.

And since when does running show a lack of maturity. I bet if Peyton Manning ran a 4.5 he would take off with the ball too. Why not use your athleticism to help win games, if anything Smith is acting less mature because he is not taking full advantage of his speed because he doesnt want to be known as a "scrambler".

#1 Passer rating last year, 3000 pass yards and 1000 on the ground, arguably the greatest single game NCAA performance ever in the Rose Bowl.

bah007

Hall of Fame
4000 yards isn't going to happen. sorry. you don't see 4000 yard passers in college unless they're at hawaii or texas tech or similar.
you would have said the same thing if I told you before last season that Vince would have 4000 total yds. you would say no it wont happen because it never has before. he still did it

R

real

you would have said the same thing if I told you before last season that Vince would have 4000 total yds. you would say no it wont happen because it never has before. he still did it
I haven't watched a lot of Ohio State Games, But last year there were a lot of games that VY didn't even play in the fourth quater....

bah007

Hall of Fame
I haven't watched a lot of Ohio State Games, But last year there were a lot of games that VY didn't even play in the fourth quater....
thats true. Im a UT homer so Im biased. but Vince didnt even step on the field in the second half against Baylor and Kansas. And he didnt play the 4th quarter in the majority of the games

thats true. Im a UT homer so Im biased. but Vince didnt even step on the field in the second half against Baylor and Kansas. And he didnt play the 4th quarter in the majority of the games
Exactly. And Matt Leinart did the exact opposite, he played in every Fourth quarter and 2nd half. A lot of his yards/TDs came when they were up 40-0. I've never seen USC go easy on someone. (I'm an LSU fan and we take our starters out after a 30+ lead)

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
...and his determination. However, Troy Smith is more lethal with his arm.
They both have their pros and cons. I think Troy Smith is more NFL ready now than Vince Young was at this point last season. Young has more overall athletic talent but like you said, Smith has an awesome arm. That thing is a rocket launcher. Smith probably won't be 1st round draft pick and if he is, I think it'll be late 1st round. He's barely over 6 feet tall which is going to hurt his draft status quite a bit I think.

BuffSoldier

Veteran
Question. What makes Troy Smith more accurate of a passer than VY. I could see if he had an arm like Cutler has, but he doesnt. VY has the arm strength to make every throw, he throws a beautiful deep ball, and he throws with accuracy, if he didnt throw sidearm, there wouldnt be a knock on him.

Through 8 games this year Smith has 1715 passing yards and VY had 1835 through 8 last year.

Not to mention Troy Smith has much better weapons than VY had last season, and hes a senior not a junior.

kastofsna

Hall of Fame
troy smith has a very strong arm. definitely stronger than vince young.

and why does it matter if he's a senior and young was a junior? you longwhorn fans are quick to defend young using points that mean nothing. the question is who's a better prospect, young or smith. simple as that.

R

real

You all do realize that you are comparing someone who came out his junior year to someone who decided to stay...right???

IMHO, if VY would have decided to stay Troy Smith would be a non factor right now....

R

real

and why does it matter if he's a senior and young was a junior? you longwhorn fans are quick to defend young using points that mean nothing. the question is who's a better prospect, young or smith. simple as that.
Maybe becuae it's not really fair to compare a players junior year to another players senior year....Im not really sure how that doesn't make sense...

Troy Smith may not be quite as big physically, but he has led his team to wins, just as Young did. Offering an argument that Young possess a strong arm that can compare with Smith's is ludacris. Smith has one of the best deep balls I have ever seen, and his timing with his underneath routs is amazing. He is a better QB than Young, and possess the same natural ability to run, and I'd put good money on it that Smith is faster than Young.

That's a suckers argument....You almost had me though....
That would be true or funny if I was a sucker.

Smith is a quick QB who can get "north and south" well. When I said runner, I meant that he has the ability to run, not that he does as much as Young. Smith is the next McNabb.

Be real with yourself....If VY would have stayed another year Smith might quite possibly have been the 3rd or 4th QB taken in next years draft....
Smith will probally be taken as the 3rd or 4th QB, but again, I think he will be better than Quinn and better than Henne or Stanton. I like Brohm though.

R

real

That would be true or funny if I was a sucker.

Smith is a quick QB who can get "north and south" well. When I said runner, I meant that he has the ability to run, not that he does as much as Young. Smith is the next McNabb.
I don't think Smith Sucks....I really don't know what to think of him honestly....I am not really sure who the best QB coming out is going to be...

But IMHO, I don't think any of them are near the caliber that VY and Leinart were....:twocents:

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
troy smith has a very strong arm. definitely stronger than vince young.

I'm a longhorn fan...

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Troy Smith could be better than VY, but will he? I do not think he will, but I cannot debate that he could be. Potential (could) and how he scales at the next level among a sample of players currently and in the future at the QB position are two different things. I see more Troy Smith type players than Vince Young type players fail when taking the next step. VY is a freak, Troy is a great player in college.

Huge

All Pro
Young was the 3rd overall pick coming out as a Jr.
Smith will not go that high coming out as a Sr.

Logic says that makes Young the better prospect.

Simple as that.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Vick went number 1 but how many super bowls does he have? Brady went in the 6th round and how many does he have?

People screw up in the draft. Just because someone is drafted higher, it does not mean they will be better.

R

real

Vick went number 1 but how many super bowls does he have? Brady went in the 6th round and how many does he have?

People screw up in the draft. Just because someone is drafted higher, it does not mean they will be better.
What does that have to do with this debate ?

Huge

All Pro
Read my post again...
Huge said:
Young was the 3rd overall pick coming out as a Jr.
Smith will not go that high coming out as a Sr.

Logic says that makes Young the better prospect.

Simple as that.
We're not talking better player...we're talking about the better prospect.

Emmitt Smith turned out to be a better RB than Blair Thomas. But guess which one was the better RB prospect in that draft? That's right, the one that went #2 overall...Thomas.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Read my post again...

Emmitt Smith turned out to be a better RB than Blair Thomas. But guess which one was the better RB prospect in that draft? That's right, the one that went #2 overall...Thomas.
You are right, my bad. I misunderstood your post.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Read my post again...

Sorry, but that is not a truism. What it means is one team thought he was a better prospect--a highly subjective determination and a situation where teams force needs over bpa, i.e. best prospect.

Look just in the last draft with Buffalo taking Donte Whitner. By all reports 31 other teams disagreed with having him that high and that he was a better prostpect than several folks below him. His being taken there doesn't magically make him a better prospect than Cutler, Leinart, etc.

Same frankly for Young. By all reports there was a schism in TN between the coaches and the GM/owner with the latter obviously winning. Young would not have been any worse prospect than he was is the coaches had won and Young had fallen to 10.

BuffSoldier

Veteran
I'd put good money on it that Smith is faster than Young.
Well thats your money to loose, if you want to bet that Smith has a sub 4.4 fourty and can out run Marlin Jackson who is the current CB for the Colts then ok. Check the 2005 Rose Bowl and see VY blow by Jackson.

And anyone can throw a great deep ball to Ted Ginn, put it up and let him go get it, but to say that his arm is stronger than VYs isnt unbelievable but I doubt it, have you ever seen VY underthrow any of his deep routes 60 yards down field, if anything he puts it almost out of reach.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
Well thats your money to loose, if you want to bet that Smith has a sub 4.4 fourty and can out run Marlin Jackson who is the current CB for the Colts then ok. Check the 2005 Rose Bowl and see VY blow by Jackson.

And anyone can throw a great deep ball to Ted Ginn, put it up and let him go get it, but to say that his arm is stronger than VYs isnt unbelievable but I doubt it, have you ever seen VY underthrow any of his deep routes 60 yards down field, if anything he puts it almost out of reach.
Did you see any of Smith's TDs from last weeks game? Kid was throwing lasers into the endzone. ANd throwing a good deep ball isn't the same as having a strong arm. The benchmark route for arm strenght is the 10 to 15 yard out. The guys who can routinly make that throw are the one's who are considered to hav eteh big arms.

Ohh, and by the way Limus Sweed isn't that much slower then Ginn, neither is Cosby. In fact a foot race between the three would be pretty interseting.

BuffSoldier

Veteran
Still no one has answered my question. VY's sophmore year he took the step to being good passer and his Junior year, there wasnt really a more accurate passer in the nation. Alot of people say he threw short routes to his TE, well DC is throwing slants to AJ this year and has the highest completion percentage in the NFL. When he took his shots downfield he was as accurate as anyone.

Like I continue to say, if he threw in a conventional way instead of sidearm, people would have nothing to say.

BuffSoldier

Veteran
Did you see any of Smith's TDs from last weeks game? Kid was throwing lasers into the endzone. ANd throwing a good deep ball isn't the same as having a strong arm. The benchmark route for arm strenght is the 10 to 15 yard out. The guys who can routinly make that throw are the one's who are considered to hav eteh big arms.

Ohh, and by the way Limus Sweed isn't that much slower then Ginn, neither is Cosby. In fact a foot race between the three would be pretty interseting.
You must have never seen Ted Ginn run before, thats like saying that a race between AJ and Jerome Mathis would be interesting, AJ is fast but kids like Mathis and Ginn are on a totaly different level.

As far as 10 to 15 yard routes go, watch some film from last year, he threw ropes to David Thomas all year, he hit receivers all over the field. Just look at the TD he threw 2 weeks ago against the Redskins, on a line for like 15-20 yards.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
I'd rather have VY as my QB because he is a proven champion and I like his style more. He also seems to have the intangibles as his former teamates have talked about his leadership qualities.

Troy Smith wouldn't be too far behind but I need to see the conclusion of this season before I can really give him a chance at being someone I would rather have at QB than VY.

Also I wouldn't rather have any QB in the NCAA over VY.

Are you asking if he is a better prospect than what VY was last year?

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
You must have never seen Ted Ginn run before, thats like saying that a race between AJ and Jerome Mathis would be interesting, AJ is fast but kids like Mathis and Ginn are on a totaly different level.

As far as 10 to 15 yard routes go, watch some film from last year, he threw ropes to David Thomas all year, he hit receivers all over the field. Just look at the TD he threw 2 weeks ago against the Redskins, on a line for like 15-20 yards.
I challenge you to find footage of VY throwing a 10 or 15 yard OUT route. I've seen just about all of the snaps VY took as a Longhorn and I cannot recall any.

15 yard curls? YES. 15 yard slants? Sure. 15 yard out routes? Nope, sorry. It's not a throw most college teams use due to the fact that if teh QB doesn't fastball into the receiver it will likely be picked off and run back for a TD.

With all that being said VY can throw the route, he did so well at his pro day, it's just that he never did in a game situation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-texas032206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

As for Cosby v Sweed v Ginn, Cosby won state titles at 100 (10.46) and 200 (21.31). My money would probally be on Ginn but Cosby and Sweed posses elite speed also.

BuffSoldier

Veteran
I challenge you to find footage of VY throwing a 10 or 15 yard OUT route. I've seen just about all of the snaps VY took as a Longhorn and I cannot recall any.

15 yard curls? YES. 15 yard slants? Sure. 15 yard out routes? Nope, sorry. It's not a throw most college teams use due to the fact that if teh QB doesn't fastball into the receiver it will likely be picked off and run back for a TD.

With all that being said VY can throw the route, he did so well at his pro day, it's just that he never did in a game situation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-texas032206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

As for Cosby v Sweed v Ginn, Cosby won state titles at 100 (10.46) and 200 (21.31). My money would probally be on Ginn but Cosby and Sweed posses elite speed also.
Right, VY didnt throw that route at UT, and as you pointed out he does have the arm strength to throw it. So it still gets back to my original question which nobody has ever answered. Okay, I dont doubt that Smith has great arm strenght, his arm may be stronger than VY's, but if it is then its not a big enough to make a difference, its not like we are comparing Vick and Pennington, they both have extrememly strong arms.

My point is that Smith has been no more accurate than VY was last year. VY throws side arm and people say that he will get passes batted down, well Smith is 6'0", wont his?

If VY had a conventional throwing motion, would we even be having this conversation?

Troy Smith looks great at Ohio State, but I don't see how that same thing is going to transfer to the NFL.

He is listed at 6'-1", but I don't think he is that tall. I wouldn't be surprised if he is under 6 foot.

Please_Evolve

Waterboy
Quick note on Pat White..... Isn't he a sophmore ?

Did anyone see that WV team WAX Georgia last year in their bowl game?

Early on in Troy Smith's College tenure wasn't he more of the scrambler type and they rotated QBs?

I think there's a few good quiet Qbs out there I like Brett Meyer out of ISU. Isn't Drew Tate a senoir was well? Chris Leak as well.

As far as whose better.....They'll be about equal if Troy Smith wins a title.