Could Troy Smith be better then VY?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Errant Hothy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

The intention of this is to not start a flame war or bash-fest, but to discuss the best two mobile Qbs to play college football since Vick.

Personnaly I've been blown away by Smith's passing. He's accurate as all get out, throws a good deep ball and is money on the timing routes. His biggest challenge will be against Michigain, where if he carries Ohio State to a victory, much like VY carried UT several times, I think he is a lock for the Heisman. This is also the area where VY may be better, the intangables. I doubt Smith has had much effect on Trussle (sp?) but we all know that VY changed Mack Brown. As for running ability, Smith hasn't had to do much this year but we all know that he can. Is he the same kinda threat as VY? I don't think so, Vince was a true homerun hitter with his feet at the QB spot; and I just don't think Smith has the ability to go 60+ for a score.

And I'd take both before Vick.

2. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Smith is a more technically proficient passer, no doubt. That doesn't necessarily make him a more effective passer or QB... the other half of the game is finding receivers and making the right decisions. He's certainly not as big as Vince, and I haven't watched enough tape to make any conclusions, but I'd say from a strict passing standpoint, he's his equal if not better. All I ever see is Troy Smith throwing beautiful deep bombs... he actually reminds me of McNabb, who throws the prettiest ball in the game, IMO.

What VY had going for him was the ability to make big throws in the red-zone and to move the chains. I think VY's size is a huge asset, we've already seen him be very tough to take down at this level. Smith is a stud... no doubt. He's only 6'1" and he's not the runner that VY is... we'll find out about the intangibles as this season progresses. I love the dude's game... wouldn't mind us taking him if Carr can't produce some wins (not trying to stir anything up here).

In short, I think that Troy Smith could be better than VY... he is a more gifted passer... he's not as big or as lethal on the ground and he hasn't been mega-clutch like VY. I think he can be the next Donovan McNabb though, and at last check, McNabb was the best QB not named Peyton.

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

VY is way more elusive. His size makes his speed decieving and it's hard to tackle him. I have said that Troy Smith is the better QB, but VY is the guy that will win any game.

4. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i said last year that he is. although i don't think he's a better prospect.

5. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Why not Miss Cleo? Height?

6. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I think he is a better QB. He can run, but chooses to pass.

7. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

We both did. I said it after the Rose Bowl as well.

8. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

No, he isn't. Smith didn't even win the starting job until halfway through his junior year. I don't know how you can call him "more proficient" when VY has way more experience playing QB at the college level. That's what proficiency means.

Plus, maybe people have short term memory loss, but I have to remind people that Vince Young led all QBs in passing efficiency last year, moreso than Matt Leinart or any of the other typical pocket passers. He's not Michael Vick, a guy who can run but is a so-so passer. Vince learned how to pass very well in college.

9. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Technically proficient means "has better mechanics"/"throws a better ball". I might be the biggest VY fan on the board, but there's little debate about that, in my opinion. If you would read the rest of my post, I say that doesn't make him a better passer or QB... but with respect to throwing the ball only, there's little question he's more talented.

10. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

troy smith is definitely more proficient. 68% of his passes completed, and 82% of those are to his receivers. unlike young, who completed a TON of passes to his backs and TE's, which is a sign of a QB who isn't nearly as mature as you want him to be.

11. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Part of the passes to TE's/RB's is due to the LBs obsessively spying VY... no reason to take chances down field when you have a guaranteed 10 yds.

12. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

edit: nm

13. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Vince Young - 212/325 (65.2%), 3036 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs
    Troy Smith - 149/237 (62.9%), 2282 yards, 16 TDs, 4 INTs

Those are their stats from last year...both QBs' Jr. seasons. If you're going to compare Smith this year to Young last year, shouldn't you take into account that Young would probably have improved on last year as well?

And given the differences in talent on both offenses, I would expect Smith to take advantage of his WRs. One (Santonio Holmes) was a 1st round draft pick. The other (Tedd Ginn) will be as well. Vince's WRs were freshmen and sophomores. So he took advantage of his best target..TE David Thomas. Now you can predict that Limas Sweed may end up being a 1st round pick but would you put '05 Limas Sweed on the same level with '05 Holmes?

Kaiser Toro and thunderkyss like this.
  14. real

real Guest

Wow...rep coming your way....

15. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i like that troy smith is a passer first and rarely runs at all these days. much more disciplined than young.

what the hell was i talking about, he's DEFINITELY a better prospect than young.

16. real

real Guest

VY isn't running much this year...

17. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

okie dokie.

18. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

I will refrain from posting :shades:

I have been saying "Smith, Houston Texan 2007."

Runner likes this.
  19. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

what would be the point in the texans drafting him?

20. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Maybe we should start adding Pat White from West Virginia to this list. He maybe closer to Vick as a game changing (as a runner and a passer) than either Young or Smith.