Could Reggie Bush be our Steve Smith?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Jan 15, 2006.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

If anyone else saw the Carolina game today, you saw that Steve Smith is unstoppable. The #1 defense gave up 220 something yards and 2 TDs to Smith. Steve Smith is only 5-9 185 and Reggie Bush is 6-0 200. They both are extremely fast and have sick jukes. They both are very strong and have good leaping ability.

2. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

Steve Smith was a 3rd round pick. Sure I'd take Bush then

3. texman8

texman8 Veteran

Interesting comparison.....What happen to da Bears defense today?....Carolina's only weapon ( after Foster got hurt) and they couldn't account for him! Put Bush in slot with AJ and JM....speed galore! 10 to 12 plays in backfield. Wow! at least it will be exciting.

4. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

There are few players in the NFL as unstoppable as Steve Smith.

5. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

There may be one more next season...

6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

It helps when 2 defensive backs fall down and Smith can catch the ball (with no safety help) .. I am not taking anything away from Smith because we know how hard it is for some receivers to hang onto the ball

7. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

No, but he can be our Eric Metcalf. A small guy to use in unique situations out of the backfield. Worth a #1 pick? Heck no.

If the Texans are going to stick us with Carr than we just need to trade down period.

8. LoneStarState

LoneStarState Veteran

Not much love for former Longhorn Metcalf, hunh?!

Seriously, Reggie Bush is MUCH better than Metcalf. He is much more versatile. He can score from anywhere on the field. He could be WR, RB, KR. Bush on the same field as AJ and DD could be hard to defend. And if Carr can come close to what Plummer has done this year - they will be much improved. Not being a Bush Homer - but I think he's worth the first pick. Most all of us did at one time or another. :twocents:

9. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Brady was a 5th or 6th rounder.. id take Young then.

I dont think this is a fair arguement. I mean.. Brady was taken on the second day... but are you telling me that, knowing what you know about him now, if he was a draft prospect you wouldnt take him in the first round?

Steve Smith was a pleasant surprise.. so was Brady.. so was DD.. but you cant say "well they were had in later rounds so I will put the most emphasis on middle round picks".. Talent is talent.. take it where you can get it. A prospect like Bush or Young has a lot better chance of becoming an elite player in the NFL than the 100s of possible 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounders.

10. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Yes!

To all those people claiming that Kubiak will not take a running back because Denver never takes running backs in the 1st round, see the following story from the Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3397734

Houston: It is difficult to believe reports the Texans are married to the decision to draft Southern California running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick over Texas quarterback Vince Young, a state hero and a Houston native.

But it makes sense. It also makes sense that Bush will be the pick with the pending hiring of Broncos' offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. All indications point to the Texans hiring Kubiak once Denver's season ends.

Kubiak knows the benefits of having a strong running game. Denver has been a running stalwart in Kubiak's time with the team and Bush is too tempting. Plus, the Texans think a solid quarterback coach such as Kubiak could salvage former overall No. 1 pick David Carr. Taking Young and bypassing on the explosiveness of Bush would not make sense. Kubiak has helped Jake Plummer flourish and he could do the same with Carr, who is only 26.

It is too early for the Texans to make their final decision, but all signals point to Bush over Young.

11. Hookem Horns

No, not all Longhorn fans look at the NFL through "burnt orange glasses". Metcalf was a great player in college, a real good player in the NFL, but not the type of guy you take with the #1 pick, and certainly not a guy that is going to lead you to a championship. Yes, he (Metcalf) could score from anywhere on the field and could be a WR, RB, and a KR, but that type of guy isn't going to be a franchise maker.

12. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

Blah...Blah......

:ok:

13. Hookem Horns

Shouldn't you be watching ESPN right now? I am sure they'll have some more Bush propaganda on soon.

14. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Oh dont even try to act like Vince Young is some kind of underdog :).. he is just as much of a hype machine as Bush.

15. texplayer2

texplayer2 Veteran

Hype is what College Football is all about. That is why they went to the BcS championship game and eventually to the plus one and then a play-off. Before the BcS how did you get to be number 1? THE MEDIA AP, in years past USC would have gone to the ROSE and PLAYED Ohio St. Texas would have played somebody else probably in the Cotton Bowl. If SC won and Texas won SC would have retained #1. And the players of both of these teams would have been scrutinized as INDIVIDUALS. But now the mighty system is trying to cut down on the what ifs and crown a CHAMPION. So now whoever is on that team has the edge in the Draft squabble among fan masses. In stead of looking at these guys as individuals they are credited with Carrying their whole team to Victory. In the old system Young goes back to school and finishes his senior year and becomes the #1 pick next year. Now you get all these guys coming out because of the Emotion of the big game being able to get them the Money instead of honeing their skills. I think the old system was better for college fans, because you could always say My team could have taken Your team because of this guy or that guy. The New system and ones to follow will give the (Professional) student athlete more incentive to go to certain schools, but will also give their NFL scouts a more accurate picture of their talents.

16. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

that would be devistating,especially throwing DD in the mix backfield and adding Armstrong as an extra reciever. Noone would know who to cover.:drool:

17. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

The only Bush propaganda I listen to is on Fox News!! :)

18. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I hope that Reggie can do for us what Cadillac did for Tampa Bay, which is take pressure off the passing game. With a huge threat for a Running Back, Dave will be able to get the ball to Dre just like Simms to Galloway.

19. big homey

big homey Veteran

Bush does have the build of a WR and could be used in a lot of different ways in the passing game. Plus Gaffney and Bradford are UFA's, so he could be a replacement/upgrade. Not the worst scenario for a creative offensive mind.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

To stay on topic and to go outside of my trade down stance, a Kubiak/Mularkey offensive braintrust would have the imagination to make Bush a Steve Smith/Marshal Faulk type of player.