Could Pollard be considered for the LB position

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jul 15, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

He had the run stopping and tackling skills. He weighed 224. I believe the average NFL 3-4 LB weighs around 235. So would this experiment be off the wall? It's a slow time now.....and that's why I even bring it up. But I've often wondered if the coverage responsibilities would not be necessary, could Pollard's punch and aggressiveness have been harnessed for our new D.

2. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Whoever is holding the ball around Pollard is in trouble, dude has run stopping ability and aggression to be feared. Let me say this first so nobody gets confused:

I DON'T WANT POLLARD STARTING AT SAFETY

But I thought he at least brings enough to the table to be a special teams captain or a servicable backup. I mean, why in the hell is Kevin Bentley getting paid by this team?

As a LB, I don't think he can bulk up too much more but he did show the ability to blitz last year, both times a safety blitz got called lol....and he would clearly not have trouble diving into piles and effing people up, that's what he did already.

I think he'll have enough clout to get a job elsewhere but I really wouldn't mind having him around, albeit in a lesser role.

3. cland

cland Veteran

I don't think he fits. He could take a shot at WLB in a 4-3 defense, but I don't think he has the frame to play an ILB spot in the 3-4. Those guys have to be able to play through OG blocks in the 3-4 one-gap system.

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Didn't we release Pollard?

5. cland

cland Veteran

Yep, he's a FA.

6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

There is not much history of veteran players moving from SS to LB with any level of legitimate success. There are couple of players who moved really early and became good players though. Gary Brackett of the Colts comes to mind.

7. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Cato June with the colts was a safety in college as well as Thomas Davis with the panthers. I always thought Pollard was best in a Pollamalu type role...unfortunately we had no pass rush and no secondary so we didnt have the luxury of using him that way.

Pollard could make it as a nickel package linebacker on passing downs now. Hes just not the size of guy you want taking on offensive linemen if you can protect him...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  8. Rey

Rey Guest

Pollard could have been used as a utility player.

That said, I think that there are cheaper options that can be used in that type of role.

I'm way more excited to see what Anderson can do at the olb position. He was very explosive coming off the line providing an excellent speed rush and opening up the offensive line.

Texans need to re-sign him.

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I don't think he will be re-signed.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Can he cover backs and TE's ? :ahhaha:

Scratch that idea.

11. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

No really, why the hell is Kevin Bentley on this team?

12. Rey

Rey Guest

Are you talking about Mark Anderson?

I hope hope you're wrong Gary...I think in his short stint last year he provided a better speed rush than any Texan player ever has.

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Pollard will play for someone at safety role. He would be too beat up at linebacker.

14. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

There's no doubt Pollard can tackle like a beast, but physically his frame does not lend towards being a LB. He's more effective when he's clean, not with guards and tackles getting their hands on him. I'd seriously question his ability to shed NFL o-lineman since he's never done it before other than safety blitzes.

That's an idea that could work in Madden, but not in real life.

Besides why would Pollard sign a cheap 1 year minimum deal experimenting as a linebacker when he'll probably be able to land a multi-year deal as someone's starting safety? Someone else will give him a chance, like the Texans did.

15. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

His frame couldn't take what now? Guy averaged 80 tackles a season as a safety! Saying he's better not shedding blocks, yeah, so is everybody. SKILL as a LB might be a question but not durability. Sign him as a backup Safety, an average backup and special team demon at a position where desperation is an understatement. I betcha he would sign for cheap because I think he knows this is probably the best team he's gonna catch on to.

Wade better know some guys who are better or this will be yet another mistake for Rick Smith at setting up the backfield for success. Even if Wade knows some guys who are better it won't be a Rick Smith decision to sign them. So I guess business as usual.

16. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Yeah, he averaged 80 tackles a season AS A SAFETY. How could you forecast anything about his durability AS A LINEBACKER when he's never taken on the position full-time. As a safety, he's roaming free untouched a helluva alot more than if he was a linebacker mere yards off the line of scrimmage. He does not have a LB frame, from head to toe. He'd get engulfed by the big boys if he was in a front 7 full time. Look at LBs in the NFL, you've gotta have a squattier lower/heavier base and thicker legs. Pollard looks like a WR. So yes his frame would affect his SKILL as a LB.

17. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Pollard was released just before the lockout.

18. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I think CND is trying to make a comaprison to Dumervil in Denver when they played the 3-4. I think it would've been an interesting TC experiment. Pollard definitely had the mindset to be an OLB in the 3-4 and use his athleticism to rush the passer.

19. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Is Pollard fast enough though? I thought one of his problems was that he was not fast enough to keep up with receivers and TEs down the field and was best when they ran towards him?

20. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I'm talking about Pollard being purely a passrusher. I think his skill set would lend itself to that well enough to make it an interesting experiment in TC. I don't think Dumervil dropped back in coverage very much at all in the Denver 3-4. Hard to get 17 sacks when you're dropped back in coverage. Now Dumervil is exceptionally small as a 4-3 DE.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011