Could Michael Vick been a Texan?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by YodAa, Apr 5, 2005.

1. YodAa

YodAa All Pro

He went in the 2001 draft so if the Texan's first season been in 2001 or if Vick had gone into the 2002 draft he could have been ours, but would you have wanted him as our QB or do you prefer Carr?

2. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

All I'm going to say is...yeah he would have been a Texan, if he stays in college one more year.

3. Rosusu

Rosusu All Pro

I think I remember him saying he is coming out of college because he didnt want to play for an expansion team, and he was already going to be the first pick. Yes he would of been a Texan if he stayed another year, no doubt about it.

4. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

I remember reading something a while back (not sure where) that Casserly tried convincing Vick to go back to school for his senior year and assured him he'd be the Texans 1st pick, the face of the franchise, basically everything that David Carr is now...He declined and said he didn't want to help start up this franchise and the rest is history...

5. YodAa

YodAa All Pro

That sux but Carr is great too so it doesn't make a difference.

6. Rosusu

Rosusu All Pro

Carr is good, but he is no Vick to any extent.

7. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

I'm two ways with this. On one hand, DCarr is one of, if not my favorite player in the league. He's a mighty fine QB to build a franchise around because of his total package. On the other hand, I think Vick would have absolutely blew up for this team. The one problem we've had since our existance has been OLine. Vick can work around that. Put Vick in a system with AJ blazing down the field and taking a CB and safety with him...it's a scary thought.

8. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

yea but would Vick have survived given our O-Line situation?..... unsure

Would AJ be a Pro Bowl Reciever? ....... NO

Would we be 7-9 at this point with him vs. Carr? ....... NO

Personally I am glad things ended up the way they did. As a whole wed be frustrated with him always running, we wouldnt have a vertical passing game, we would probably still be having 4 win seasons at this point, due to the fact they would game plan around him because he is still 80% a 1 dimensional running quarterback. Hes having a hardtime passing the ball in a west coast offense where the routes are shorter. imagine the difficulties hed have throwing mid range & deep ball passes. He would be a star but our offense would be a 1 man show.

9. Rosusu

Rosusu All Pro

Are yall seriously saying you would rather have Carr over Vick? Carr is good, dont get me wrong, but Vick is amazing. He changes the entire game and can go for a touchdown on any play. AJ might not be a pro bowler but he sure would be good with Vick, he can block any CB and Vick has a rocket for an arm and can lauch the ball real far. Saying you would Carr over Vick is a little crazy IMO.

10. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

Why is that crazy?

We dont have the ground attack that Atl has besides Vick who accounted for only 900 yds of that rushing attack.

Dunn accounted for 1100, and TJ accounted for 509.
    as for their rushing TD's of the 20 listed. Vick had only 3 of them.
    Dunn had 9, Duckett had 8.

We do not have a running game comparable to atlantas which bails Vick out of a lot of tough situations. If their RB tandem was not as effective ATL would maybe be a wildcard at best.

Passing wise 56.7% speaks for itself. the 3 wideouts in ATL combined (Price, Finneran, White) reception total was 98

AJ alone caught 79 last year. Tony gonzalez singlehandedly outperformed the ATL rec core with 102. Crumpler their TE only had 48.

ATL's Running Game and Pressure Defense in conjunction with Vick is what propelled the Falcons, Not Vick ALone.

Here given our lack of pass rush and lack of 2 starting quality RB, and our offensive system, Vick would have struggled. He would have a hard time running the ball and would commit more turnovers. Also its claimed to mention that this would also have been the year where Vick broke his leg and would be out for the year.

total yards - Vick - 3215 vs. Carr 3820
    Total TDs - Vick - 17 vs. Carr 16 *all passing
    Sacked - Vick 46 vs. Carr 49
    Rating - Vick 78.1 vs. Carr 83.5

Now here is what Vick has that we dont that gave the Falcons a winning record.

Defense -
    Sacks Atl. 48 - Hou 24
    Turnovers tied at 40

Rushing Team
    Yds Atl - 2672 - Hou 1882
    TDs Atl - 20 - Hou 16

also the NFC was a much weaker Conference if we played in the NFC, we conceivably could have had a 10 win season.

11. southtexan

southtexan Veteran

Football is a TEAM sport, MV would have been a one man show, short term that would be exciting, long term I prefer DV.

12. scourge

scourge Digression King

I, too, remember Vick saying that he was leaving early to avoid building with an expansion... so even if he did wait, he may have pulled an Elway and forced a trade.

13. TexansCanes

TexansCanes All Pro

i believe their were a couple of things, him not wanting to be on an expansion teams was one (i don't really blame him). he was the number one pick so he couldn't go anywhere but down and i don't think his grades were that great. he have one of these discussions every off-season. am i happier he have carr, i can't tell you yet, but he is who he have and i will support him. the rushing argument is a good one but they have alex gibbs, a mastermind when it comes to the o-line.

for most players yeah, but the difference a payton, vick and possibly LT is bigger than most. i know you will say how the defense improved and how great the running attack was, but vick is the one that gets it going. i didn't want to bring up college, but vick single-handedly lead the offense of va tech that made the sugar bowl.

14. TexansNeedRBin05

TexansNeedRBin05 Veteran

Well will the same sense we comeout in 2001 we could have taken LT? Vick woulda been running for his live EVERY! play that first season and woulda gotten hurt no question about that but LT might have helped down the road and in the 2002 season selected David Carr/Henson/Harrington with the a 1 rounder! :thumbup

15. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

This is definitely a rehashed subject. I will make my annual Carr vs. Vick statement.

Carr is a passer. Vick is a runner. I like my QB's to pass the ball. If they want to run, then be a RB.

Carr will be passing the ball for years to come. Vick will continue to get slower with age. It is common knowledge that most players lose their footspeed quite early. As I have stated previously. Vick will not be leading a team to the SB if it is not within 7-8 years of entering the league. He may be part of a SB team, but he will not lead one. Carr will continue to become a better passer. Carr also has good footspeed for a QB. Because Carr is mainly a passer, he could lead a team to a super bowl 15 years after entering the NFL. Yes I would take Carr over Vick. For that matter, I would take Eli Manning over Vick.

16. LBblitz

LBblitz Veteran

17. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Vick may be considered a better QB than Carr, but I don't think the gap is very wide, they just offer different skills(NOT skillz).... I think the Texans were better served by Carr's maturity than they would've been by Vick's athleticism.

18. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

Am I the only one who thinks Vick is over rated? The guy has a hard time throwing the ball to anything but a tight end! If you shut down his running game, he is screwed. It would be fun to watch him try and throw td passes to Mark Bruener.

19. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

vick may be an exciting QB to watch, but all that running and getting hit will catch up with him just like it did in the 03 season. I am personally happy we have david carr, who has good mobility and can scramble but dont rely on his legs to win games and instead uses a combination of both !

20. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

YodAa, I love your avatar!