Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Could Darrelle Revis actually shut down AJ?

Revis shut down Johnson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So...what you're saying is you don't think Plummer, Griese, Elway, Montana, Young, or Cutler are in the "good/great" QB catagory.
Elway, Montana, Young & Cutler looked outstanding in the QB friendly system because they are/were great QBs.

Plummer was/is very talented, but not really a good QB.

Griese...... was also very talented, and really a pretty good QB.

Matt Schuab so far to date, looks to benefit from our QB friendly system, more than we've benefitted from Matt Schaub.

l_j_r

Practice Squad
I think this brings up a question about the defense you guys play over there. Do your corners play a side or do your corners play a man? Is Revis going to be singled up on AJ most of the day or can we scheme away from Revis?
... that's a good ? ... with this being rex's 1st regular season game we are still learning what he really is going to do scheme wise ...

... my expectation is we will see revis matched up on AJ the majority of the game ... most of those i believe he will be on an island without safety help ... the major reason for that being our need for help at the #2 cb ... also one of you guys expressed how talented kerry rhodes is and this is true ... he should have a monster year for us ... for arguments sake let's say ed reed lite ... expect him to be brought in on blitzes and centerfielding with leonhard used more in run support ...

... again - we as ny jets fans are learning what rex will do as we went with only the vanilla preseason d .. and also his ravens scheme's to go on ... (personally i believe he kept fabian washington on the left side in balt ... but i'm not 100% on that) ...

In the Raider game last year, a lot of people said that Asomugha shut AJ down but it was really the play-calling more than anything else that shut him down. He was used mostly as a decoy that day and it didn't work. The Raiders played sides for the most part, iirc, and so sometimes Asomugha was on AJ and sometimes not.

A thing about this offense is that all the receivers are pretty good and have their function and the QB's usually spread the ball around pretty good.

... while i don't expect your coaching staff to use AJ as a decoy against us ... there is more of a risk going up against revis while sheppard and lowery should be much easier for walter, davis, daniels, anderson and crew to attack ...

... if AJ is lined up on the other side of the field from revis other than a trick play we are in DEEP $h*t !!!!!!!!!!! ...

l_j_r

Dan B.

Hall of Fame
... this is one of the prime match-ups that we are very excited/nervous about as jets fans ...

... i did not make a selection in the poll as i am very torn over what will happen here ...

... revis is the jets most talented and consistent player bar none ... jenkins is more important to us ... scott the rabid pitbull on the field implementing rex's grand scheme ... and leon washington more of a homerun threat ... but revis is THE MAN ...

... as far as i can tell AJ is the same for you guys ... please correct me if i'm wrong here ...

... unfortunately our #2 cb spot has been the polar opposite since revis was drafted ... with sheppard this preseason committing pass interference against everyone including the girl scouts coming to his door selling cookies ... and dwight lowery last season and this not having the 5th gear needed to keep up with top receivers when isolated without safety help ... there is not any reason for teams to test revis ...

... i picture a realistic statline for AJ is 6 catches 80 yards ... if that does not include a TD i will be very happy with revis's performance ...

l_j_r
AJ is THE MAN for us, no doubt. But Kevin Walter (who is day to day right now) is the workhorse -- the guy that steps up on the third and 6 and hauls it down in traffic. Daniels can fill that role as well. I also think that minus Walter you could see David Anderson step up in a big way. AD is the homerun threat, with Jacoby Jones being groomed for the part in future years.

The Texans actually spread the ball around quite a bit, with Steve Slaton also getting a large number of short passes intended to isolate him in single coverage. You'll even see them toss it to Vonte Leach a couple of times a game. Don't expect them to force it to AJ unless the Jets pull Revis off of him.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I think we should be asking ourselves, can our run D stop Jones and Washington? At least, that is my primary concern.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
David Carr has looked good in this system. Sage Rosenfels has looked good in this system. Rex freak'n Grossman has looked good in this system.

Jake the Snake has looked good in the system. Bob(??) Griese, the younger done nothing Griese, has looked good in this system.

Elway, Montana, Young, & I'll go out on a limb, and say Cutler has looked out freak'n standing in this system.

Take it how you want.

That is not correct. David Carr did not look good in this system. That's why he spent one year in it and was sent packing despite that multimillion dollar bonus payment he'd just received.

As for the rest of it I can find no fault. David Carr was one example that just didn't float.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Their running attack scares me, especially with how weak our run D has looked in the preseason.

Does it make me less of a Texan fan that I'm definitely starting Thomas Jones on my fantasy team? :specnatz:
So am I. Historically, it'd be dumb if we didn't start him, right?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I have a feeling we're gonna send the other Andre deep so that Sheppard can get called for pass interference or burned quite often :)

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I think we should be asking ourselves, can our run D stop Jones and Washington? At least, that is my primary concern.
I see them running the ball quite a bit and giving the Rook lots of max protect packages. We haven't stopped the run well in the past and we haven't rushed the passer well so somethings gotta give unless it's us. :goodluck:

l_j_r

Practice Squad
... i would lean away from jones in fantasy league's ... if you have another comparable option ...

... his goal-line production has not been what we as jets fans have hoped to see over the years and he is not a homerun threat who will take it to the house ... if your up the middle run d is as bad as many of you are saying that may be the only saving grace for getting him td's ... if it was me personally i'd be more inclined to start washington even though he will get less touches on offense ... probably 20-25 vs. 10-15 range ... he should have a chance to put up some good numbers in the return game as well ...

l_j_r

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
I voted yes. It's silly to think that Revis could not shut AJ down. Any given Sunday is why. I hope Andre goes ballistic on him and i'm sure he most likely would but you never know. Anything's possible on Sundays. Any Given Sunday are words I've learned to live by. I think ima go rent that tonight. Lol.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
With all the potential weaknesses of the Texans, it seems that the Jets will actually concentrate their efforts on shutting down AJ:

As much as everyone is anticipating Mark Sanchez's and Rex Ryan's respective debuts, all eyes may end up glued to the pivotal matchup between Darrelle Revis and Andre Johnson, the Jets' All-Pro cornerback and the Texans' All-Pro wide receiver.

"He's very explosive and he's their go-to guy on offense," Revis said Friday at the Jets' practice facility in Florham Park, N.J. "There's a couple things you can do to stop him and contain him, and that's what we've been focusing on all week, getting after him."

It won't be an easy task, even for a lockdown corner who Texans coach Gary Kubiak said was "as good as there is in the league."

Johnson led the NFL with 115 receptions for 1,575 yards last season, becoming the first player to top the league in both categories since 2005. Over the past three seasons, he has been the most productive receiver in the NFL, averaging 87.1 yards per game. He begins the year with 486 receptions and is 621 yards shy of 7,000 for his career, and he has caught at least one pass in 50 straight games.

It's a streak that Revis, who will often be lined up against Johnson in one-on-one coverage at the edges of the field, has no visions of stopping.

"I can't say I'm going to shut this guy out. What we're going to try and do is keep it to a minimum and don't give up big plays," Revis said. "He may catch a five-yard hitch, he may catch a drag route, well, OK, whatever. What we don't want is him making big plays on us: 50-, 60-, 80-yard touchdowns. ... We're going to do our best to stop him and shut him down."

And by "we," Revis means more than just his teammates providing help in the secondary. The best coverage may come from the defensive line every time Houston quarterback Matt Schaub drops back to pass.

"We can definitely do something to help Revis out, and we're going to try the best we can to take a lot of the pressure off of him," defensive tackle Kris Jenkins said.

Jenkins, regrettably, won't be fixated on the marquee showdown. "I wish I had the opportunity to sit back and watch it," he said. "Unfortunately I don't, I have to work at the same time."
Revis' statement is somewhat contradictory, since holding AJ to 5 yard hitches would be the equivalent of shutting him down...........something that is extremely unlikely whether Schaub or Grossman are directing the missiles.

LINK

ubecool454

Veteran
And ,yes, I realize that but that wasn't the threads topic. You are talking like that is the one area that is a given. You haven't had a winning season so I'm sure you have come to the realization that it takes more than your elite receiver to have one. Man you are an angry group. I haven't said one bad word about your team and you act like I took that one guy up on his offer of his daughter and wife. Go JETS!
You do realize it was 7 seasons before the Jets finally had a winning season?

l_j_r

Practice Squad
I have a feeling we're gonna send the other Andre deep so that Sheppard can get called for pass interference or burned quite often :)
... this is what i am more concerned about ...

... if you guys gameplan to test revis and feature AJ i like the jets chances ...

... if you guys gameplan to focus on the rest of the wr's & te's attacking sheppard i give the nod to the texans ...

l_j_r

Bubbajwp

All Flopper
16 teams tried to shutdown AJ last season and well (115 receptions for 1,575 yards) They didnt fair to well.

IMO if your entire defensive gameplan is to stop AJ your going to get burned by OD, Kevin Walter and Slaton all game long.

Last edited:

WWJD

Hall of Fame
16 teams tried to shutdown AJ last season and well (15 receptions for 1,575 yards) They didnt fair to well.

IMO if your entire defensive gameplan is to stop AJ your going to get burned by OD, Kevin Walter and Slaton all game long.
You might want to correct those stats...15 receptions?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If the Texans have their way with Gholston, the CBs are going to be quite occupied with worrying about the run........enough to compromise coverage.

l_j_r

Practice Squad
... it definitely helped having jenkins as a monster in the middle leading continuous pressure against schaub ... and very limited time of possession and opportunities for the texans offense ...

... but ...

... that being said AJ was invisible ...

... revis gets an A+ for his performance yesterday ...

l_j_r

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
on the telecast, they don't show what's going on beyond the LOS. Revis Didn't put the lockdown on AJ any more than any other corner has in the past. Revis IMHO scared the crap out of Shaub, and he didn't want to test your secondary until it was too late.

So, I think Revis shut Schaub down, more than he shut AJ down.

l_j_r

Practice Squad
on the telecast, they don't show what's going on beyond the LOS. Revis Didn't put the lockdown on AJ any more than any other corner has in the past. Revis IMHO scared the crap out of Shaub, and he didn't want to test your secondary until it was too late.

So, I think Revis shut Schaub down, more than he shut AJ down.

... this may very well be true ...

... if so it actually was a good decision by schaub or the coaching staff ... revis (as well as jenkins) were our greatest strengths ...

... revis will get another big test next week against randy moss & wes welker ...

... it will be interesting to see if bill belichick and tom brady challenge him ...

l_j_r

hadaad

Rookie
35 yards definitely qualifies as being shut down. Whether it was all Revis or a combination of that, the pass rush, Schaub's ankle or not, it doesn't matter. Revis had primary responsibility for Johnson and Johnson was shut down. All kudos to the Jets corner.

imatexan

All Pro
Usually when receivers aren't open they don't get the ball thrown there way. Stop trying to sugar coat it, you sound foolish.
Only fool here is you..who do you think you are and why are you still here?

I am not sugar coating anything, our team player horrilbe and we lost.

It was not because Revis shut Andre Johnson down, our QB could barely stay on his feet and did not throw the ball down field(not to mention the terrible play calling).
It does not matter if Andre is wide open or not, he will make the catch if it is thrown near him. He has proven that throughout the years with the less that spectacular QBs he has had throwing the ball to him, yet still puting up big numbers as long as they give him a chance.

Revis did not have a chance to shut him down, he played well but no shutting down was necessary sinc they did not throw the ball to who he was defending.

WhiteShoeWillie

Practice Squad
Only fool here is you..who do you think you are and why are you still here?

I am not sugar coating anything, our team player horrilbe and we lost.

It was not because Revis shut Andre Johnson down, our QB could barely stay on his feet and did not throw the ball down field(not to mention the terrible play calling).
It does not matter if Andre is wide open or not, he will make the catch if it is thrown near him. He has proven that throughout the years with the less that spectacular QBs he has had throwing the ball to him, yet still puting up big numbers as long as they give him a chance.

Revis did not have a chance to shut him down, he played well but no shutting down was necessary sinc they did not throw the ball to who he was defending.
I'm not taking anything away from AJ, he's a great player. Obviously he would catch the ball if it was thrown to him. It wasn't, so he probably wasn't open.

I'm sure it was a combination of pressure, bracket coverage, and a great individual effort by Revis. Coach gave him a game ball for shutting down AJ.

Good luck the rest of the season. I'm sure AJ will have another great season so long as he's healthy and doesn't have to face Revis again.

Like everything in football there's more to it than a simple 1v1.

An excellent secondary, led by Revis, along with a vicious pass rush that constantly harassed and rattled the QB, combined with one of the best defensive schemes in modern football shut down AJ.

Wolf

100% Texan
Revis shut down half of the field against the Texans and the Texans, well their offense shut down the other half

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Not having Kevin Walter, hurt. Not making excuses, but when the Jets don't really have to respect anyone else (receiver wise), or account for 4 or 5 catches for 60 yards, it makes life a lot easier.

Also, while watching a highlight show (forget which) they showed how the Jets secondary was in a 'quarter' a lot; which meant, not only was Reevis on AJ, but there was another DB always close by. They showed an attempt to AJ where AJ looks to have a step on Reevis, but then another Jet comes in from out of the picture quickly. They converged to break it up..

Okay, with all the logical BS out of the way, we got a mud hole stomped in us yesterday, and I'm still pissed about it.

Wolf

100% Texan
Just put CB Darrelle Revis in the Pro Bowl right now. He shadowed Johnson for almost the entire game, and get this: Johnson, who made a league-high 115 receptions last season, had only one catch after three quarters. Are you kidding me? Johnson finished with four non-descript receptions, but none of them came against Revis in man-to-man coverage. So says Revis. The Jets caught a break because Kevin Walter, the Texans’ other starting receiver, didn’t play. He was replaced by Andre Davis, who went into a shell after Harris blew him up early in the game. Nickel back Donald Strickland made the biggest defensive play, jarring the ball loose from Slaton on an 18-yard catch and run.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009/09/grading-jets-vs-texans.html