Could a Colts win save capers?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texas_Thrill, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

You see my question....now gimme those responses.

I say nothing saves his job short of the playoffs.

2. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

Yes. A win over the Colts would secure Capers' job. Well...if followed by 9 more wins over the last 10 games.

3. sulli60

sulli60 Rookie

A win against the Colts would probably extend a couple of years on Carr's life.

Caper's is done. Can we get that guy Terry Robiskie to be our interum headcoach for the rest of the season?

4. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Even before the season began, Capers was listed as one of the NFL coaches on the hot seat. It would take a winning season to keep him here. Colts win does nothing for that. I don't think anything has changed. Unless he gets a winning season, Capers is out.

5. ATX_Texan

ATX_Texan Veteran

No, McNair decided to not put Capers out of his misery. For some warped reason, it make more sense to leave the lame duck coach in place. It gives everyone on this team an excuse to not care about the rest of season. However, the fans are still expected to cheer on the same crappy product for the next two months.

Capers record for rest of season: 2 - 9 (maybe)
    Robiskie possilble record for rest of season: 1 - 10 (based on 1 win for after changing the coach)

Does not seem like much of a difference to me.

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

hey, hey...let's not get emotional. ;)

Not really knowing where Mr. McNair's "line in the sand" is established, it's tough to say at what point he knows in his head that Coach Capers has to go.

I would assume that a 4-12 season (or worse) is a 'sure thing'. But what about 6-10 or 7-9 (unlikely record at this point)? idonno:

7. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

It better not.

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

No. No more Capers.

9. mean mark8

mean mark8 Veteran

Everyone seems to be saying that Capers' being fired is almost certainly a sure thing. What about that 5-yr plan that McNair bought into? Does anyone see Capers possibly being our coach again next year? Look, Tice is still with the Vikings and Hasslet with the Saints. It's possible that McNair will let Capers stay one more year to "right the ship." It's scary but it could happen.
    :ouch:

10. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Agreed. The only way I can see Capers keeping his job for next season is if he saves McNair from a burning building.

11. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

A win against the Colts might save David from getting benched But Dom's seat is red hot and it has been since the Pittifulsburgh game

12. Bassinguy

Bassinguy Rookie

I'm not even sure that making the playoffs would save his job. Besides, the playoffs aren't happening this year. They'd have to go at least 9-2 from this point, which puts them at 9-7 for the season. It probably will take 10-6 to make it in the AFC.

13. touttail

touttail All Pro

Tell me that you guys didn't see the fork sticking out of Dom :homer: ??????

He's done!

bobby 119C :brickwall

14. Bassinguy

Bassinguy Rookie

You have to remember that this is really the fifth year. Can't remember who pointed that out earlier, and I had forgotten it myself, but the first year started in 2001, when Capers was hired to get his staff together and get everything set for the expansion draft, etc. The first season was year two, and things looked pretty good. Last year things began to unravel and it's only gotten worse. We've seen no indication that this season can be salvaged. Carroll might be a decent choice, but a lot of us think Gary Kubiack would be better. Also, he has local ties to this area, or at least has in the past.

15. Bassinguy

Bassinguy Rookie

Looks like a pitchfork to me.

16. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

Capers is gone and he will likely find a place with another team as a LB coach or D-Coordinator consultant.

17. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

Besides armchair QBs and writers, who said his job is in jeopardy in the first place? Everything I hear from McNair has been very supportive.

18. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

But several writers (I'm thinking SI, though I am sure there are others) are already predicting Tice and Hasslet's doom. Some people think Tice may go before the end of the season. The only guarantee IMO is that Capers is out with 8 losses.

19. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

That's a stretch.

20. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

According to who? Perhaps those crazy fans with unrealistic expectations, but I think everyone who had some rationality in them would agree that an 8-8 season would be an improvement once again and would be the first non-losing season in the Texans history.