Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Coon's one week away mock

coon

Waterboy
First off I'm not really sure I believe Bridgewater is really falling to the second, but if he does that sets up up for a really good draft. Here is my final mock, :gotexans1

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina. Couldn't justify not taking Clowney here. He is just so talented

2. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville. Getting my favorite Qb at 33 just seems to good to be true. Let's hope it isn't.

3. Christian Jones, LB, Florida State. I think Jones is the second best ILB in this draft. Played so many positions at Florida State that it hurt his stock. Absolutley love this guy.

4. Kelcy Quarles, DT/DE, South Carolina. I think Quarles will make a bigger impact at DE than Crick. Could start opposite J.J pretty early. He can also slide inside in a pinch.

4c. Brandon Thomas, OT, Clemson. He would have to take a redshirt year to get healthy, but he would solve the RT issue for years if he makes a full recovery. Thats worth a comp. pick to me.

5. Beau Allen, DT, Wisconsin. Allen is a legit rotational NT. Not a stud by any means but big and solid.

6. Tre Boston, S, North Carolina. Good size, better than F'n Keo IMO.

6 (OAK) Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech. Injury riddled career. When healthy he is really good depth. Good size for a corner.

6c. Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State. Extremely talented, comes with baggage otherwise he is off the board way earlier.

7. Justin Britt, OL, Missouri Real solid tackle. I felt like I had to take another one since Thompson won't play year 1.

7c. Tevin Reese, WR, Baylor. Absolute game breaking speed. Only problem is he only knows one route. He can return kicks while we try and develop him. If developed, he could be a pretty dynamic slot guy.

Shezza

Practice Squad
I keep hearing people like Mayock on the Rich Eisen podcast today saying Bridgewater will fall that far, but I'm not sure.

I'll believe it when I see it. If this happens I will be stoked.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
First off I'm not really sure I believe Bridgewater is really falling to the second, but if he does that sets up up for a really good draft. Here is my final mock, :gotexans1

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina. Couldn't justify not taking Clowney here. He is just so talented

2. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville. Getting my favorite Qb at 33 just seems to good to be true. Let's hope it isn't.

3. Christian Jones, LB, Florida State. I think Jones is the second best ILB in this draft. Played so many positions at Florida State that it hurt his stock. Absolutley love this guy.

4. Kelcy Quarles, DT/DE, South Carolina. I think Quarles will make a bigger impact at DE than Crick. Could start opposite J.J pretty early. He can also slide inside in a pinch.

4c. Brandon Thomas, OT, Clemson. He would have to take a redshirt year to get healthy, but he would solve the RT issue for years if he makes a full recovery. Thats worth a comp. pick to me.

5. Beau Allen, DT, Wisconsin. Allen is a legit rotational NT. Not a stud by any means but big and solid.

6. Tre Boston, S, North Carolina. Good size, better than F'n Keo IMO.

6 (OAK) Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech. Injury riddled career. When healthy he is really good depth. Good size for a corner.

6c. Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State. Extremely talented, comes with baggage otherwise he is off the board way earlier.

7. Justin Britt, OL, Missouri Real solid tackle. I felt like I had to take another one since Thompson won't play year 1.

7c. Tevin Reese, WR, Baylor. Absolute game breaking speed. Only problem is he only knows one route. He can return kicks while we try and develop him. If developed, he could be a pretty dynamic slot guy.
really dreamy mock would be stoked you've managed to address all critical needs :specnatz:

coon

Waterboy
For the record, If Teddy does go in the 1st round I would take A.J. McCarron with the 2nd rounder. I wouldn't be willing to wait till the third because he is my second favorite Qb in the draft and I think he goes somewhere in the 2nd round.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Very good mock but who plays right tackle? Are you willing to go with a 7th rounder as your starter or do you think Newton improves or Williams will be healthy?

coon

Waterboy
Very good mock but who plays right tackle? Are you willing to go with a 7th rounder as your starter or do you think Newton improves or Williams will be healthy?
I would let Qberry, Williams, Newton, and Britt battle it out in camp and preaseason. Then next year they would probably lose the job to Thomas. Thomas is the long term answer.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I would let Qberry, Williams, Newton, and Britt battle it out in camp and preaseason. Then next year they would probably lose the job to Thomas. Thomas is the long term answer.
Ok---if Williams is healthy and/or Newton is healthy enough to play better but if neither (and that is possible if not probable)then Q is the RT--who is left guard? I think we cannot chance that and need a Olineman a bit higher that can step in. You can't risk a QB like we did Carr.

coon

Waterboy
Ok---if Williams is healthy and/or Newton is healthy enough to play better but if neither (and that is possible if not probable)then Q is the RT--who is left guard? I think we cannot chance that and need a Olineman a bit higher that can step in. You can't risk a QB like we did Carr.
Going through the draft the RT position was a reach to me. In rounds 1 and 2 there are legit guys that could start day one, but I can't justify not taking Clowney or Bridgewater. I have Christian Jones in my top 40 players, Quarles in my top 60, so I couldn't pass on them. Wade Smith will probably play LG regardless of who we draft, but we have Jones on the roster who can play G as well. LG and RT are also positions we could address with a FA post draft if they aren't comfortable. I don't expect the RT spot to be a strength of the line this year unless we take one in rd 2 which is fairly unlikely IMO if we stay at 1 and pick Clowney. If Robinson was the pick at 1, it wouldn't be a bad pick by any means.

As far as Carr goes, he shoulders a lot of the blame for all those sacks. He continued to take sacks at a high rate after he left because he has poor pocket presence. I think he would have failed regardless. You can't expect the OL for a 2-14 team to be great at all positions. There are going to be spots on the OL this year that will just be adequate. We should be able to fix it completely over the course of 2 years though.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Going through the draft the RT position was a reach to me. In rounds 1 and 2 there are legit guys that could start day one, but I can't justify not taking Clowney or Bridgewater. I have Christian Jones in my top 40 players, Quarles in my top 60, so I couldn't pass on them. Wade Smith will probably play LG regardless of who we draft, but we have Jones on the roster who can play G as well. LG and RT are also positions we could address with a FA post draft if they aren't comfortable. I don't expect the RT spot to be a strength of the line this year unless we take one in rd 2 which is fairly unlikely IMO if we stay at 1 and pick Clowney. If Robinson was the pick at 1, it wouldn't be a bad pick by any means.
Smith was a UFA this year. The Texans let him walk without an offer. Now maybe they bring him back after the draft if they don't end up addressing the interior, but that is no certainty.

I do expect them to address the position in the draft though and it's much needed as the only interior players on the roster right now are Myers, Brooks, Jones, Cody White, and Alex Kupper. Then you have Quessenberry, who can play OG, but could also get a shot at OT.

coon

Waterboy
Smith was a UFA this year. The Texans let him walk without an offer. Now maybe they bring him back after the draft if they don't end up addressing the interior, but that is no certainty.

I do expect them to address the position in the draft though and it's much needed as the only interior players on the roster right now are Myers, Brooks, Jones, Cody White, and Alex Kupper. Then you have Quessenberry, who can play OG, but could also get a shot at OT.
Damn, I forgot about that.