Consider the source: McNair not enamored with staff

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Remember this is the national enquirer of the internet..consider the source

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

2. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

eh.. id say that is a fairly accurate article (just going by what I assume is happening).. I think the wording is just harsher than it should be.

I wouldnt say that he isnt "enamored" with his staff... just that he probably isnt happy with it as it is and wants to add some more experience and a sure-fire defensive coordinator to make SURE that we get on the right track. Basicly the same way all of us here feel.

I hope we can convince Bates to come. I love Hoke and WANT to keep him... but if not keeping Hoke is an issue with Bates coming.. (and if we like Hoke that much..which I imagine we do.. great coach) then make Hoke an advisor or something until we can put him in a cushy job somewhere. Maybe an HC spot in College. Perhaps he could take the place that our new coach Pariani just left.

3. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

Was an OC in college and Hoke coaches DB, so I don't think that would work.

4. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

ahhhh..I thought Pariani was the HC at that college.. my mistake.

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I guess Hoke himself is not ready to be considered for a DC job ? That
    kind of promotion is probably made impracticle when the new HC coming in is
    himself moving up to HC from a coordinator position for the first time.

6. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

hehe . . . I liked this.

7. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Wouldn't, and shouldn't, this have come up during the hiring process?

I mean if McNair and Co. didn't question Kubiak on whom his staff might be, their fault if they don't like who he hires.

8. swisher

swisher Old School

We could always get Buddy Ryan, I'm sure he's not doing anything right now...except maybe eating supper a Luby's at 4:30 pm and watching the Wheel of Fortune and maybe punching some obnoxious offensive coordinator.

9. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Agreed. I don't believe this for a second.

10. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

11. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

could someone please provide a list of the coaches that Kubiak has hired?
    At this point, he really hasn't filled any of the major positions as far as I know...

I'm sure McNair wants to make a splash with a high profile hiring...(Sherman, Bates Gray) but I find it hard to believe that he would be disappointed with the moves up to this point.

12. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

They need to wait if they cannot find quality talent to coach the team. We made the same mistake when drafting a QB with our first pick in team history. Well get cash locked into someone who will keep out someone worthy next year. Although i wouldn't doubt it, it's how this team operates. Heck, Mcnair and Cass will probably trade our #2 rd'r and one of our #3 rd'r for some coach who they barely look at other than what they read in The Sporting News or Sports Illustrated. That was a joke.

13. Erratic Assassin

Erratic Assassin All Pro

We had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. He took an athletic cornerback like Phillip Buchanon and did absolutely nothing with him. We had high hopes for Buchanon (fans and Charlie Casserly too) and now we just want to release him.

We are starting a strange, disturbing tradition in Houston. Is this the way to the top? Last year our biggest problem was the offensive line. Instead of firing Pendry for incompetence, we actually promoted him to offensive coordinator. And then we act surprised that the Pendry era didn't work out.

The fact that we would even consider promoting Hoke is ridiculous. Why is Casserly still employed? He lets his coaches pick the players, he overpays below average players, he bundles picks and gets nothing in return and he lets horrible coaches suck their way to the top.

14. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

We're tha
    Zona Cardinals
    Zona Cardinals
    Zona Cardinals #32

15. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Just because a coach cannot improve a player's attitude does not make him a good coach. That being said, I don't know enough about Hoke to say one way or the other.

16. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone with the organization every said Hoke was being considered for promotion... The original post stated that McNair liked Hoke, and would not be happy if Bates didn't retain him(as defensive backs coach)... never mentioned promoting him.
    You got that impression fom Nunusguy's post, but that doesn't make it a fact...
    Hell, he wasn't even implying that the team was considering a promotion for Hoke...

17. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I'm going to take it with a grain of salt. Really, this is pure speculation, because Mr. McNair doesn't broadcast his thoughts to anyone. Kubiak has been officially our head coach for what, 5 days now? I find it hard to believe than an internet source has this "inside scoop" at this point in time.

18. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I'd really like to see Mike Sherman come here. That would give the offensive staff more credibility. I still want an aggressive approach DC. I'm sick of this read, wait for something to happen, then, and only then, react defense.

19. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Uh.. I thought Oakland put PB on trading block because of attitude and inability (or as some say wantability) to make hits on opposing players? He continued that with Texans.