Conner Barwin.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by forcefollow, Aug 16, 2009.

1. forcefollow

forcefollow Rookie

I have been one of the biggest Barwin doubters. My response when they drafted him was "HUH? What? Who?" However, after last night he is changing my mind. With the kind of explosion he showed on the sack he had if he can continue to learn and improve I do not think its far fetched to say that he could become one of the best speed rushers in the league. His speed reminds me of, I dare say, Dwight Freeney. Call me a cool-aid drinker, I don't care, I feel good about Barwin now.

2. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

You mean professional scouts might have more of an inkling then some random dude on a message board? Color me surprised. :cool:

YellerLotYeller and ATXtexanfan like this.
  3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I don't wanna be the turd who corrects spelling but its ConnOR Barwin. I'm not sure if Dwight Freeney is the right comparison either, Freeney has his spin move and an assortment of pass rush moves to compliment his speed. Barwin is only in his 2nd year playing defensive end ever. He got his sack last night on sheer speed and athleticism (against a pretty good left tackle too) which was pretty impressive considering how raw he is. Once he gets some pass rush moves down which I'm sure Mario will be helping him with, wow the sky is the limit.

4. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

My thoughts on him have changed as well, dude has talent, that fake spin was wicked

5. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

My impressions of him coming out were that he was only suited for OLB in a 34, mainly because of his lack of size. The draft experts were all tabbing him the next Mike Vrabel has an edge 34 guy. I didn't realize that he actually spent that entire year at Cincinnati as a defensive end with his hand in the ground, I saw the youtube highlight reel and was sold. Draft experts can be real morons huh? Projects a guy to be a completely different position all throughout the draft process and then he gets drafted by a team who employs him exactly the way he played in college. Barwin plays a lot bigger than what his 250ish weight would suggest, he has more power and stength than what meets the eye.

6. Fox

Fox All Pro

I would disagree that he got the sack on sheer speed and athleticism (not that it didn't play a big role). As ATX mentioned, he used a fake spin move that left Albert grasping at air. Not the kind of veteran pass rushing move you'd expect out of a rookie and second year DE (ie. you'd expect more of an engagement with the tackle + a swim arm or bull rush).

I'm a Barwin doubter as well, I already knew about his athleticism but based on last night's performance he seems like he has a few tricks up his sleeve to boot. At the same time, it was one small sample in a preseason game, I'll reserve judgment until I see him under the bright lights of the regular season for a bit.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

i'll be happy if he has a motor like kyle vandenbosch or someone like that

8. DavidC

DavidC Rookie

I almost wish he would have saved that move for the regular season, now there is tape on it for other OT's to be ready for when the games count. I am sure that Albert wishes he had that one back, because Barwin made him look silly.

I hope he has some more tricks up his sleeve, and that he is taking in everything Mario is teaching him.

9. New_Texans

New_Texans All Pro

Don't forget he was a basketball player guys and not on some crap school but Cinnci. He has the footwork, hops, and overall athleticism to get it done. Now, it all depends on if he can put it together and it seems as if he has the smarts and personality to take make it happen.

10. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I totally agree with what you're saying, but if we all follow that logic to it's ultimate conclusion, there wouldn't be any football discussion at all...

11. Fox

Fox All Pro

Not to mention the wonderful insight the scouts provided us in gems such as Babin, Carr, Wand, Morency, T. Johnson, etc, etc (the longer that lists grows, the more depressed I become...)

12. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Could be worse.... KC went 4-12 and 2-14 and all they have to show for it is Glenn Dorsey and Ty Jackson.... we've missed a lot but hitting on the big guns like Mario and Andre was huge.

13. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

The good thing is that he's going to get sacks just purely on athleticisim. The other good thing is that he isn't going to draw too many double teams because O lines will worry about MW.

14. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

this is a perfect reason why they are the coaches and you sit on the couch

15. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

You best stay away from the craps table then, or you're really going to get depressed.

16. Fox

Fox All Pro

Especially if Casserly is rolling the dice!

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I wouldn't discount speed off the edge. It's an element that's been missing since this franchise's inception. Barwin may never become a "starter" in the base 4-3 defense. But, his ability to put pressure on the edge in passing situations should help the defense get off the field on 3rd downs and make him an impact player.

18. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

You do know that he's not here anymore, right?

After four years, you think it might be time to turn that page? Or considerate it, at the very least?

19. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I don't know. I watched Barwin in camp and it sure seemed like he had a devastating spin move to me. My jaw dropped seeing him spin with a combination of speed and power. Absolutely devastating.

I really like the Freeney comparison. Definitely, he's no Freeney or anything but his moves thus far have reminded me of Freeney.

20. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    That psyche-out move was pretty wicked huh? Step numero uno: taken.