Conner Barwin - kinda invisible thus far

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ToxicButt, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ToxicButt

ToxicButt Rookie

Folks talk about mario b/c he was a #1 pick, but let's discuss the presumed starting OLB on the other side.

I haven't seen Barwin pressure the qb or make plays in the run game. Has anyone seen production from Barwin?

2. ATRAIN

ATRAIN ATX TEXANS FAN

He has been in there applying pressure. I like him a lot but I would rather have Reed in there in his place.

3. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

He's on the strongside and drops back in coverage more. I've seen him in the backfield a bit (was in there on the Smith forced fumble of Brees). Overall he hasn't looked spectacular but he's done is assignment. I think he's done well overall, not exactly "lighting it up" but from what I can tell he's done the typical "gap control" and done what he's supposed to. I know of another play where he stayed on the outside which forced Brees to throw over him and thus overthrew the WR.

I couldn't tell you Barwin or Reed at this point. Reed looked awesome against the Saints backups. But I can see Barwin's play being one where fans aren't impressed but that the coaches really like.

Regardless, I think alternating between Reed and Barwin throughout the season keeping them each fresh is going to be studly.

Speaking of studly. JJ Watt for All Pro. :fans:

4. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    I agree with your assesment of Barwin's play and that of Reed as well.

To the bolded, as someone posted some time back, I can see JJ Watt as DROY. Go JJ SWatt!

5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Barwin isn't MW, so expectations aren't the same. Barwin also fits the 'tweener mold better than MW. Barwin isn't making $14mil this season. Barwin isn't in the same universe of potential trade value as MW.

I sure hope we make the playoffs. It would be downright embarrassing to have 3 DROY's on the field and not get there with a top5 offense.

6. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Barwin will be fine. We already know what kind of player he is after he ramps up.

7. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk DieHard Texan!

Do we really?? You can tell that from the 4 preseason games last year and the 1/2 game against the Colts??

8. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    He's the most fluid coverage LBer there is on the team, that's for damn sure. I'm certain that once Wade opens up the playbook to some of the fun stuff Barwin is going to be impacting games for us. Across from Mario and not one of the hand down guys though, with the vanilla fest we've got going he's not going to be rushing much.

9. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Why omit his entire rookie season? Expectations of him were high that season and he met them.

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

The same thing could be said about both DeMeco and Cushing, but like Barwin they are coming off of 2010 injurys and/or surgery/rehab.
    You know how everybody likes to say, "oh they'll be OK, just like new this year " ? Well we are now confronted by the reality that they won't be, atleast probably not this year.
    The kind of injurys Barwin and DeMeco had are big time injurys, and the best case scenario is that they make a full-recovery but ones taking multi years and not a single season.

11. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    I'm not so sure I agree with you recovery assesment. Meco's achilles injury, accoriding to our very own resident surgeon is by far the injury that takes the longest and has the lowest % of returning to what the player was prior to the injury. Barwin's was much closer to what Ben Tate suffered. Both he and Barwin seem to be going like they've not missed a step while DeMeco is coming along more slowly just as Doc's prognosis indicated.

My hope is he continues to regain strength and mobility with no setbacks to be back to full form by next season. My :twocents:

12. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I didn't think he was that invisible in the 49ers game.

13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

He was pretty invisible to their offensive linemen. They apparently couldn't see him at all. He was all over the QB.

Allstar likes this.
  14. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I think there's gonna be one or two players that standout evry week. Last week was Reed and this week was Barwin.

15. headsplint

headsplint All Pro

I think...this may be the sign of a good defense? You try to game plan and maybe direct the focus to a couple of key guys, and it frees someone else up. I might be reaching with that, but man it really feels like we have some talent with some direction now.

16. 80tothezone

80tothezone Hall of Fame

You got to admit though the D looks stout this yr or more stout than last yr mw last night bought some more time in my book and barwin was in there with him and jj making plays I think you got to see wp's D with the leashes off.... Regardless this is the best D we have ever fielded. Still not against trading mw but I don't think it will be done and fine with barwin as a starter at olb

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

17. Ole Miss Texan

I agree, I think that is the sign of a good team. I'd much rather have different guys standout throughout the year than just have 1 player that does well.

I also think it's due to some competition. Reed has a good game against NO and Barwin knows he's got to keep it coming to maintain his starting spot. The competition is going to help this team so much. They make each other better. Can't wait to see a good rotation and have a fresh pass rusher every single snap!

18. Ole Miss Texan

With the loss of Mario for the season Barwin and Reed are both going to have to step up big time.

Not sure Wade's plan, but I'd like Reed to fill in for Mario on the weakside and have Barwin continue on the strongside. I've been watching CB98 each homegame and have been pretty impressed with him. He's doing a fine job when dropping in coverage - forcing the QB to alter his passing lane or throw. He's had a couple sacks now and that huge blocked pass against the Steelers. I think he's doing everything Wade is asking him to do from an x's and o's standpoint.

I hope Reed steps up and plays like he can. I love his tomahawk chop when he sacks the QB. Let's get some forced fumbles and sacks!!

19. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

LZ has been pretty emphatic that Reed is more of a strongside LB with better coverage skills than rush skills.

It should be interesting to see who plays which side.

20. 80tothezone

80tothezone Hall of Fame

doesn't he have 2 sacks?