Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Connar Barwin

Why did you want another speed back?

I don't know how I feel about the draft as a whole, but I'm excited about the Barwin pick - this guy could be real exciting.

He was being sarcastic Superdave. He doesn't think that Slaton needs a back up.

Yeah, I liked the Barwin pick a lot myself. At first I thought WTF!? But then I watched his game film and learned more about him, and he's actually my favorite pick in this entire draft for the Texans.

that's a pretty solid highlight montage. I really like the push he gets on the Rutgers RT at the begining of the video. I think he'll do a solid job for us. I just have a small issue with drafting a situational player with our 2nd round pick when there are so many holes that are needed to be filled.

I'll be the first to admit that I saw this dude and immediately thought Jason Babin but that is what I saw of him. It wasn't until later that I saw this dude's burst off the ball. I think he is going to bring a good amount of speed to our DL and will excel on our team. The athleticism is pretty darn good too. May I eat crowe his entire career.

He's got good awareness that after he blows by whoever is in front of him he's able to react to a run or deflect a pass. Speedy guy....hehe...you can't run away from Mario AND Barwin, much less if Okoye, ASmith, Adibi, Ryans or cushing is coming too!!!!!!!!!!

He's got good awareness that after he blows by whoever is in front of him he's able to react to a run or deflect a pass. Speedy guy....hehe...you can't run away from Mario AND Barwin, much less if Okoye, ASmith, Adibi, Ryans or cushing is coming too!!!!!!!!!!

As long as the secondary can handle the situation if the QB manages to get the ball off.

Yeah, I liked the Barwin pick a lot myself. At first I thought WTF!? But then I watched his game film and learned more about him, and he's actually my favorite pick in this entire draft for the Texans.

Wow he said that Slaton needed a backup, but that it didn't have to be a big bruiser like everybody was enamored with. That was pretty much the entire point of that conversation last night. As I recall he said that grabbing Johnson & Foster as UDFA's was as good as drafting a backup.

We just got a hell of a lot more athletic from this draft. This kid has speed and power. He won those battles based on instinct and athleticism. Wait till this kid really learns technique and the game. I see a very disruptive force.

I'd like to see 5 DL front sometimes with Mario, Amobi, Smith, Barwin and Bulman. Let's get out there and say "Hey, we're going to rush these 5 right here... try and stop it."

One thing thats great about Barwin is he's got good, active hands. As a former basketball player, he puts his hands up when he knows he can't get to the QB. In that highlight real I think i saw 3 excellent tipped passes that could have been INTs at the NFL level and resulted in missed opportutinies during his game. Thats the kind of thing our DL really struggles with and I think is an excellent example of getting added value

that's a pretty solid highlight montage. I really like the push he gets on the Rutgers RT at the begining of the video. I think he'll do a solid job for us. I just have a small issue with drafting a situational player with our 2nd round pick when there are so many holes that are needed to be filled.

I had the same initial reaction, but while he is not slated to be a starter, I do think think that this is a player that can be on the field for approximately 30%of the snaps during a game - which I think would make him more than just a situational player. I think the value the franchise placed on him has to do with the type of defense that the team is going to run this year. This is evident with the Cushing pick as well.

I think we are going to see a lot of rotation with the front 7 players. We are going to be six deep at LB and I think we should have a solid rotation of 3 DEs and 3 DTs, with our free agent DE being placed at DT for a good amount of snaps - which will create a lot of opportunities for Barwin to play.

I had the same initial reaction, but while he is not slated to be a starter, I do think think that this is a player that can be on the field for approximately 30%of the snaps during a game - which I think would make him more than just a situational player. I think the value the franchise placed on him has to do with the type of defense that the team is going to run this year. This is evident with the Cushing pick as well.

I think we are going to see a lot of rotation with the front 7 players. We are going to be six deep at LB and I think we should have a solid rotation of 3 DEs and 3 DTs, with our free agent DE being placed at DT for a good amount of snaps - which will create a lot of opportunities for Barwin to play.

Not to mention the fact that the other teams will be passing alot because they will be playing from behind the whole game. :homer:

I was being sarcastic too - when would a 250 pound back ever be considered a speed back?

If Amobi takes a step forward this year, Smith can provide SOME pass rush, and Mario is Mario, then I think Barwin could have an impact pretty quickly here. He'll depend on those other guys though in my opinion.

I'd like to see 5 DL front sometimes with Mario, Amobi, Smith, Barwin and Bulman. Let's get out there and say "Hey, we're going to rush these 5 right here... try and stop it."

I like that idea. Barwin gives the Texans a player who can drop back in coverage on a scheme like that. You have Mario, Amobi, Smith & Bulman at the line... and you have Barwin at linebacker, or you can even show some 3-4 looks with Barwin being both a 4-3 DE and 3-4 linebacker on some plays. The more I think about it, the more I like the Barwin pick.

?

Wow he said that Slaton needed a backup, but that it didn't have to be a big bruiser like everybody was enamored with. That was pretty much the entire point of that conversation last night. As I recall he said that grabbing Johnson & Foster as UDFA's was as good as drafting a backup.

This.

Maybe my communication skills are so poor that only people from Michigan can understand me?

The 1st two picks give us crazy flexability to do just that. The more athletic, flexable guys the better.

There are many comments that first thoughts were to compare Barwin with Jason Babin. But wouldn't Antwan Peek be a better comparison?

There are many comments that first thoughts were to compare Barwin with Jason Babin. But wouldn't Antwan Peek be a better comparison?

Yes, if Peek was a high character guy that loved football, weighed 256 lbs and ran a sub 4.5 40 yard dash who excelled in his first year on the defensive side of the ball.

Back