Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Congrats to an OLD OILER FAVORITE

cadahnic

Rookie
Just wanted to give a little love to the Bruce Matthews for being named one of the finalists 2007 NFL Hall of Fame. He was a great player and truly deserves it. I dont think there has been a more versatile lineman to ever play the game other than maybe Merlin Olsen, but that was before my time. Anyway Congrats Bruce, even though now you are part of that craptastic Titans franchise History, you will always be a Houston Oiler to me....

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/story.jsp?story_id=2285

Congrats to Matthews.

How many years must a player wait until they are elgible for the HOF? Noticed that he was the only one still playing in 2001 (on the list of Finalists) the rest were 1999 or below. I quess I am asking is this his first year to be eligible for the HOF?

Just wanted to give a little love to the Bruce Matthews for being named one of the finalists 2007 NFL Hall of Fame. He was a great player and truly deserves it. I dont think there has been a more versatile lineman to ever play the game other than maybe Merlin Olsen, but that was before my time. Anyway Congrats Bruce, even though now you are part of that craptastic Titans franchise History, you will always be a Houston Oiler to me....

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/story.jsp?story_id=2285

Great news. He's the Cal Ripken Jr. of offensive linemen. I can't remember how many consecutive games he played in, just looked it up on that profile, he played in 296 games as a position player (tops in the NFL, don't know about consecutive games) He a first ballot HOF, no doubt.

I believe he once said his heart will always be in Houston.

Looks like 2 Lou Gehrigs in the HOF in one year, he'd be proud. If he goes in as a Titan, forget I ever said this..j/k

If Bruce gets into the HOF it could mean that the Titans will play 5 preseason games since they generally like to keep the two teams playing in the Hall of Fame game in Canton relavent to some of the inductees. Bruce should definately get in his first time up.

I am pretty sure he will make it in.... Just hope nothing Tennessee is involved with his induction.

Matthews holds the NFL record for most games (296) and seasons (19) played at any position. He spent his entire career with the Tennessee Titans franchise, retiring after the 2001 campaign.

Read that off an article...Sure wish it would have been wrote up differently than that....

Not only a great player. He is also a very good man. I got to know him a little bit during the Oiler hay days. Bruce is a class act.
Congrats to him.
:trophy:

easily a first timer. mathews will go down as arguably the best offensive lineman in NFL history. along with his accumulated games, he also ties the all time record with 14 probowl appearances. congrats bruce!

easily a first timer. mathews will go down as arguably the best offensive lineman in NFL history. along with his accumulated games, he also ties the all time record with 14 probowl appearances. congrats bruce!

Congrats to the BEST!! I just might have to make it up to Canton for this one. He should have made it in before WM.

Congrats to the BEST!! I just might have to make it up to Canton for this one. He should have made it in before WM.

It's a timing issue more than a respect issue. Moon stopped playing before Bruce, so he was eligible earlier. Matthews will get in on the first ballot with what will likely be an overwhelming majority of votes.

Wouldn't it be cool if he mentioned Houston and kind of snubbed the Titans? I know, it won't/shouldn't happen, but a vindictive part of me wishes it would ;)

Congrats B. Mathews. I have a football with his and Childress' sig on them. He was a big time player and I doubt he wont be a 1st ballot guy. Hard to argu against the number of Pro Bowls, consectutive games, and years playing at the highest level.

Bruce lives in Houston and still talks to Munch weekly.........they are still best friends..........when Munch was inducted five yr ago he asked Bruce to give his speech........he did.........Munch said that in 5 yrs he expected Bruce to be up here with him doing the induction for him............this is his first yr of eligibility and he is a lock to get in...........he needs no help in that regard...........he has told McClain and Bud he wants to go in as an Oiler and I think they are trying to do that for him..........Mr Adams is staying neutral on that from what I currently understand.............

Bruce going in as an Oiler:

When they retired his number they used the Oiler colours not the Titans.

---

Also hope that Ray Guy finally gets his due

Back