Conflicting reports: Jeremiah Johnson waived - or placed on IR

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DiehardChris, Aug 6, 2009.

1. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Unfortunately, the official site says - waived.

Wow. I did not see that coming. I predicted he would end up stashed on IR... but apparently not.

Chron.com had reported that he was placed on IR... but now on the official site's transaction page says he was flat-out waived.

2. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Interesting. I guess he was really not showing a whole lot in TC and the front office wanted to give him a chance to catch on somewhere. I think it also shows that Arian has been outperforming him and may become to Slaton backup.

It also says we signed former Bronco RB Andre Hall. Hall is 5'10 210 lbs. In 2008 he averaged 4.5 ypc, had 360 total yards, and 2 tds. Apparently he can run and catch. At his combine he benched 225lbs 18X and had a 4.46 40 time. Here is what was said in 2006:

POSITIVES: Elusive ball carrier with the ability to create. Patient, waits for blocks to develop and runs low to the ground. Finds the cutback lanes and runs with terrific balance. Sets up defenders, making them miss and keeps runs alive. Solid receiver out of the backfield.

NEGATIVES: Undersized, cannot handle a lot of carries and lacks power. Must pick up the intensity of his blocking.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  3. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I've really been on the Foster bandwagon, so I might have a little bias, but Arian really looked bigger, quicker and faster the one practice I attended.
    I really didn't think it was close at all, but others were saying it looked like a close competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Very sorry to see him go. I thought he might end up on IR or PS for later use. Can they still put him on the PS later?

5. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I really like Foster too. I was very excited when we signed him as a UDFA, and I think he'll prove to be a valuable addition to the team.

6. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

From the moment we drafted both, it was always Foster for me. Potential, size, and just a better fit for our need.

7. stevn8r

stevn8r Zombie

from what I saw at TC, foster is the man! I hope this lil' Hammy thing is over soon so he can get back on the field!

8. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Same here. Always preferred Foster, because Johnson was more of a Slaton-type back... a guy who could back Slaton up, but not be the complimentary bruiser we're in need of.

Still, I would have liked to see him make it at the bottom of the RB depth chart.

9. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

Johnson has been injured this training camp and needs shoulder surgery.

Johnson gets carries: Rookie running back Jeremiah Johnson, who has a dislocated shoulder that pops in and out, won’t get any contact during this training camp.
    He was on the field Thursday morning because the Texans didn’t have pads on. The coaches wanted to see him get the ball, make the right cut and go. Johnson looked good running and receiving. It’s looking more and more like he’s going to have to undergo shoulder surgery and be replaced on injured reserve whether it’s with the Texans or another team. - JOHN McCLAIN

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6562984.html

10. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

We didn't draft either one. They both were undrafted FA.

11. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Yeah, the shoulder injury has been out there a while. The Texans knew it when they picked him up, and it hit the media a couple of weeks later. I guess he didn't show quite enough for them to put him on IR, otherwise why take the chance that someone else will sign him then stash him on IR?

12. KMG 365

KMG 365 Veteran

Nick over at HT.com says that Johnson was waived/injured. It's different than flat-out waived. He says that if no team picks him up then Jeremiah will be put on IR.

13. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

After nearly throwing my beer bottle at the TV after not drafting Jennings int he 7th, I was more than pleased to see us pick up Foster. If Foster is back to his junior year form, the Texans will have the most dynamic backfield in football for the next couple of years. Foaster was a sure fire 1st rounder had he come out after his junior year. But he got hurt at the end of the season. Foster is a good back. I just hope that he can stay healthy.

14. Houston_Fanatic

Houston_Fanatic Veteran

J. Johnson looked pedestrian to me at the one practice I went to - nothing to get excited about. Arian looked much stronger. So did Moats. Chris Brown looked solid but I think I would rather have Arian over Brown.

15. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

I'm guessing that Selvin Young is still recovering from injury, or he's not big enough to be a complimentary back.

16. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I'd like to keep Foster AND Brown.

anyone else find it weird that we've gone thru 3 RBs, injury-wise, and NONE of them is named Chris Brown?
    whodda thunkit?

17. Texaninlild

Texaninlild Hall of Fame

I think it is time we jumpstart Ahman Greene's career with odds like that.

18. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

I'm going to have to vent on a soapbox for a moment. I think the 80 player limit for TC is absurd. These guys start getting dings and pulls and they can't practice which means the other players are doing more reps in 100 degree heat causing them to increase their risk of injury. Isn't the TC player compensation something like $2000 a week for vets and $1000 for rookies? Adding 10 players wouldn't cost a team that much money. Most teams would probably bring in mostly younger players anyways. Figure a month of extra bodies couldn't cost more than $50,000. Considering the cost to the team if a major contributor gets hurt I would think it would be a no brainer. I'm done now.

Giant Tiger and Porky like this.
  19. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Right - but he's still been waived. Their intentions on what to do with him if he clears waivers doesn't change the waiver process - unless there's something I'm not aware of, which is of course possible if not probable, LOL.

I guess the Chronicle just jumped the gun in assuming he would clear waivers, and that's where my confusion came from.

20. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I'm pretty sure you could have gotten about 500/1 odds in Vegas that it wouldn't have gone down that way.