Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Come on with that one.

Who will best improve their team as a rookie this season?!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TexanFan881

All Pro
jgl35 said:
DeAnglo Williams, Carolina. Just might run them into a super Bowl.
That kid is amazing, and I mean it. Every time he gets the ball he just amazes me. He will prove to be a huge steal for Carolina at #27 when he deserved to be a top 10 pick. New England is going to be shooting themselves in the foot at the end of this year.

MorKnolle

All Pro
Mario Williams.

I don't see Vince or Leinart playing much or contributing to new success of their team this season. I don't think Bush will add much to the Saints, I think improving their defense would have done a lot more for them than adding a RB when they already had McAllister and Bennett. I think Mario will bring so much to our defense, he gives us a physical freak of nature and a dominating player that can effectively play numerous positions on the defensive front 7 and will enable us to throw many different looks at opposing offenses. I think DeAngelo Williams will be very effective for the Panthers, I think A.J. Hawk will have a big year for the Packers, and outside of that I'm not sure who else will be overly impressive. I think Vernon Davis could have a great year but as Alex Smith's only real target I think defenses will key on him and I'm not sure he has honed his skills well enough yet anyways to overcome that and be a great TE.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
After what I've learned about Vernon Davis, I think he will have the same effect as Shockey did to the Giants.

Not that I don't think Williams will have a sudden impact, but I just think Vernon's will be more noticeable because he is on offense and Williams will make others look better through his presence on defense.

jerek

Pro Hobbyist
MorKnolle said:
Mario Williams.

I don't see Vince or Leinart playing much or contributing to new success of their team this season. I don't think Bush will add much to the Saints, I think improving their defense would have done a lot more for them than adding a RB when they already had McAllister and Bennett. I think Mario will bring so much to our defense, he gives us a physical freak of nature and a dominating player that can effectively play numerous positions on the defensive front 7 and will enable us to throw many different looks at opposing offenses. I think DeAngelo Williams will be very effective for the Panthers, I think A.J. Hawk will have a big year for the Packers, and outside of that I'm not sure who else will be overly impressive. I think Vernon Davis could have a great year but as Alex Smith's only real target I think defenses will key on him and I'm not sure he has honed his skills well enough yet anyways to overcome that and be a great TE.
I will just piggyback on Mork, but let me hasten to add that I believe our new coaches will make the single most important difference. Adding Mario to our roster and inheriting last year's coaches ... that might be a 1-2W differential, tops. Similarly, if NO improves substantially, the Bush bandwagon will be quick to proclaim it as solely Reggie's divine work, but I would imagine their coaching is going to be a big part of any substantial improvement as well.

As far as next year, assuming most of the variables remain the same, I would say that a second-year Leinart is going to be absolutely huge for the Cards. Give VY another year or two and Chow to get his new O straight, and that might be a powerful difference out in TN. But as for this year ... MW and the revamped Texans all the way.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Kubiak is a rookie......coach :rolleyes:

he will have the most impact on the field via his system/offensive playcalling, choosing his staff & giving the seal of approval to extend Carr & draft Mario.

Rookie player wise it will have to be Reggie Bush, they will extend his playing minutes, plenty of special team touches and a City in dire need of help.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm thinking Huff with Oakland....... he did go to Oakland right??

Brooks to Moss........ their going to put up some points, and Huff is going to kill on D....... watch out for the Raiders.....

gg no re

iggnorent
Although Matt Leinhart is easily bustable.... he would have the biggest effect if he pans out on the same level as every other rookie.

After all, the NFC West isn't exactly a gauntlet of death for anyone not named Alex Smith.

MorKnolle

All Pro
jerek said:
I will just piggyback on Mork, but let me hasten to add that I believe our new coaches will make the single most important difference. Adding Mario to our roster and inheriting last year's coaches ... that might be a 1-2W differential, tops. Similarly, if NO improves substantially, the Bush bandwagon will be quick to proclaim it as solely Reggie's divine work, but I would imagine their coaching is going to be a big part of any substantial improvement as well.

As far as next year, assuming most of the variables remain the same, I would say that a second-year Leinart is going to be absolutely huge for the Cards. Give VY another year or two and Chow to get his new O straight, and that might be a powerful difference out in TN. But as for this year ... MW and the revamped Texans all the way.
I agree on you statement about Leinart. Looking another year down the road to the 2007 season, I think Leinart will have a huge year for the Cardinals. I'm not sure if he will be the main reason that their offense will be great (I think most QBs could find success with Edge, Boldin, Fitzgerald, and Bryant Johnson), but statistically I think he will easily be the #1 among the picks in this draft by 2007. Vince Young might not be ready to play real effectively by then, but I'm sure they'll force him in the lineup, which may drive Jeff Fisher and Norm Chow out of town (I heard a rumor about them going to Arizona to replace Dennis Green at the end of this year, just speculation but at least Fisher's contract is up this year and if they can't turn it around significantly I'm not sure Fisher will want to be back or the Titans will want him back, and reuniting Norm Chow with Leinart in an offense with 3 Pro Bowlers would likely be very effective). I also don't think Vince has a good enough offense around him yet to be overly effective. Bush will put up nice numbers but even if his durability does not end up being a concern, he will still be splitting time with Deuce McAllister so that will limit his productivity, whereas DeAngelo Williams should be the man in Carolina and Maroney could be the man in New England by then (I would have loved to pick up either of them in the draft and it looks like we wanted DeAngelo at #25 but the Bills screwed that up for us, oh well, what could have been Williams & Williams in the 1st round). Vernon Davis I'm not expecting a huge year out of this year, but by next year I think he will likely be putting up Shockey/Gates/Gonzalez-type numbers. Hawk will be a consistent box score filler throughout his career, and while Mario's stats may not jump out as much I still think he'll be a more valuable piece of our defense than Hawk ever will in GB. Great DEs are just that rare and that special.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
jgl35 said:
DeAnglo Williams, Carolina. Just might run them into a super Bowl.
I think you may be right on the Panthers in the Super Bowl. But that's a one game improvement, right?

I think the player that will improve his team the most, the soonest, is Reggie Bush. Backs tend to contribute quicker than any other position. Add Bush helping Brees in the passing game (ala LT in San Diego) and I could see the Saints back to .500 or better.

Long-term improvement? Mario should have the ability to force offenses to adjust to him (like a Freeney or Peppers). Maybe Leinart is the guy who will eventually turn that "organization" in Arizona around.

jgl35

Rookie
A two game improvment if they win the whole thing, but that is two very big games. They have to stay healthy (who doesn't), but I think Carolina drafted the perfect player to get a super bowl win.
D. Williams really got overlooked in all the Bush hype and fell to a good team with the most underated head coach in the league( my opinion only). Fox will use him wisely in a mix with Goings. Add Smith and this is a very dangerous offence.

Scooter

Funky
i think it's deffinately between mario & deangelo. both are arguably the best at their positions in the draft, and went to teams hurting specifically for those positions. hawk might have great stats, but another linebacker in green bay isnt going to change their W/L total. the biggest story on bush this year will be his hamstring. vernon davis i dont see doing much his first season especially with that offense. oakland's in bad shape all over, huff's going to be on an island. leinhart, cutler, & young wont play. d'brick's got noone to block for and will need a year to adjust.

a couple other guys who could make an immediate difference would be lawson (49ers), carpenter (cowboys), & santonio holmes (steelers).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
TexanFan80 said:
are u kiddin me no rookie quarterback improves a team

its gotta be Bush because he has so many options he can kick return punt return catch the ball block run
But don't the Saints already have people who can do this?? he can only make them marginally better, if at all.

TwinSisters

Veteran
thunderkyss said:
But don't the Saints already have people who can do this?? he can only make them marginally better, if at all.
I am going Bush.

Nobody would care about the Saints and it is extra hard for the entire team to win when you don't have a lot fans in the seats. Bush brings a sell-out crowd, not only in the stadium, but also gets the whole organization face time on national TV. That excitement and energy is what he adds in his rookie season. Brees and Payton, sure they are positives, but not even close to the energy Bush brings.

Williams is not the chink that improved the Texans as much; Kubiak/Sherman are. ( or I should say within good reason will improve this team or have a far greater impact on the team then just Williams alone in his rookie season compared to Bush )

Titans are still looking to the future. Impact this season is more about keeping the fires of hope burning to keep the faithful warm. Young is not expected to play much.

Leinert didn't add much to the Cardinals in his rookie season. The James pick up is the big story and the big addition to an already dangerous "looking" team. Leinert/Hilton does add a younger sexier make over to the Cardinals image, but the impact on the team is only a hair better then the Kurt/Brenda look. Who knows though? Maybe now with Arizona hooked up into the LA socialite scene... we will see Jerry McGuire II giving the Cardinals another whiff of fresh air ( or fresh something ).

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Scooter said:
i think it's deffinately between mario & deangelo. both are arguably the best at their positions in the draft, and went to teams hurting specifically for those positions. hawk might have great stats, but another linebacker in green bay isnt going to change their W/L total. the biggest story on bush this year will be his hamstring. vernon davis i dont see doing much his first season especially with that offense. oakland's in bad shape all over, huff's going to be on an island. leinhart, cutler, & young wont play. d'brick's got noone to block for and will need a year to adjust.

a couple other guys who could make an immediate difference would be lawson (49ers), carpenter (cowboys), & santonio holmes (steelers).
No love or even a mention for AJ Hawk?

Wolf

100% Texan
I'll play spindoctor..

I think the Texans will be most improved....new coach,some OL,, TE'S, a legit #2 (or should I say #1b with AJ being #1a), and help on the defense (williams,weaver) we should atleast double our win total.. I am not saying we will go to the playoffs, but we should atleast be equal to the 2004 season ... and that is if we p/u the system on both sides of the ball.

plus we usually play the jags tough (which are a good team) and we should beat the titans.. now if we close the gap on the Colts.. :hmmm: It will be tough with us playing the NFC east but I think we can be competitive..

now with Bush.. It will be interesting being he plays against the Bucs and the Panthers twice a year.. good ole defense versus Bush.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Wolf said:
now with Bush.. It will be interesting being he plays against the Bucs and the Panthers twice a year.. good ole defense versus Bush.
Great point Wolf, had not considered that.