Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Colvin has been released

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by austins23, Sep 10, 2019.

1. BOBdaFRAUD

BOBdaFRAUD Veteran

I feel Romeo did not do Colvin no favors. I mean he was beaten on ever play. If Romeo pulled him out. It could have been chucked into a "Colvin has a bad day"

He played him and he got beat till the very last play. Now here is the result..........

2. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

There isn't enough talk about the kickoff
    at the end. Does the head coach or special teams coach make that call?

DocBar and thunderkyss like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

Yeah , I think I'm the only person who's mentioned that kickoff situation … I'd have made a thread on it but it would just feel like piling on the OB hate train.

Ultimately its on the head coach.

Situational awareness … that's what that was and I think OB has shown in the 5+ years he's been here that he's terrible in that regard.

Seems like common sense to me , I cant comprehend how so many times NFL head coaches make these mistakes while I'm screaming at the TV!

OptimisticTexan, DocBar, ROO and 3 others like this.
  4. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Kind of...... Season Ticket Holder money. :brickwall:

5. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Not gonna go back thru the thread, but I have to applaud this move. Yeah, he signed a big contract, and they are stuck with dead money, but at least they are fessing up to a mistake, and acted accordingly.

What would be the alternative? Hanging onto him just because he was signed to a big money contract?

Sometimes you have to face facts and cut your losses.

6. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

My post from Tuesday morning posted below, in the Monday night game thread (post #1566). I was screamin bloody murder at the TV when they kicked it through the end zone.

Just a thought. You just scored a TD to go up on the Saints by 1, 28-27. But you've left Brees with 37 seconds. They have one timeout left. How about instead of kicking it out of the end zone for a touchback, you kick it to the 3-5 yard line and make them return it. This would burn at least 7 seconds or so off the clock. Even if it's returned back to the 30, now they've burned more time off the clock. If the returner fair catches it, well then they've got crappy field position and you make them have to go further.

Like I said, just a thought. Would have burned a few more seconds off the clock. And that could have been the difference between the FG try and a Hail Mary at the end of the game.

7. corry

corry Veteran

It would have been a much better choice than booting it through the end zone. Either way, the Texans shouldn’t have allowed Brees to get them in field position.

ROO and CWTexansFan like this.
  8. mws

mws Rookie

I know this is a stupid question but can you fair catch a kickoff? I don't think I have ever seen one.

I've been researching and yes you can fair catch a kick off. It is still a free kick so if you let it go the kicking team can recover the ball.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  9. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

Yes, I believe you can. But in this instance, let's say the kick is fair caught at the 4yd line, or 6 yd line. Now you've gained 19 to 21 yards of field position.

MAKE Brees beat you, don't LET him beat you.

10. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Eh... this is hindsight talk. Saints have a good returner. If he returns it to the 40, and Saints win, then people will be arguing the exact opposite. "I can't believe we just didn't boot it to the end zone!?"

I mean if it was just that simple... kick it to the 3-5 yard line, worst case scenario they return it to the 30, don't you think every team would be doing that all the time? Why wait for an end of game scenario?

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Not only can you fair catch a kickoff, but say you get hit with personal fouls and have to kickoff from the 15 or something. That kick can be fair caught, say maybe the 40 or something, and the receiving team can elect to do a free kick from that spot, doing it like a kickoff, and if it goes through the uprights it's 3 points.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

No , this isn't hindsight talk. This is me screaming at the TV in the heat of the moment talk.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

I should have been a QB... or a CB. I've got a short memory. I don't remember none of that stuff. Every year is a new year.

I enjoy watching teams mature from September through December. Then we see the fruits of all that work in January & February.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

LoL @ February.

I hope so. I really dislike the way this team operates at times but what I hate worse is hearing random people talking about it.

I wish they’d do better just so I don’t have to hear joe schmoe from around the way talk about how shitty they are out in everyday life.

Just be good so we can talk about being better. That would be refreshing. Put some respect on your name Texans...please

ObsiWan, JB, otisbean and 2 others like this.
  15. powda

powda Do not disturb my circles!

Wtf. You dont want to hear people criticize a team that's never won anything?

The internet might not be right for you.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  16. xtruroyaltyx

What part of “out in everyday life” was hard to understand?

Serious question because I like to be as clear as possible.

The internet is not right for me btw. But that’s mostly because of people’s lack of slowing down to understand what you’re saying.

17. powda

powda Do not disturb my circles!

I think the quote I answered was enough.

18. xtruroyaltyx

No idea what that means but....
    :ok:

19. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

FWIW, I clearly understood that you weren’t talking about the internet. If someone is confusing the internet with “out in everyday life” that’s not your problem, it’s his.

CWTexansFan and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  20. ROO

ROO Not A Staff Member

But TK, with Houston football, them fruits is all too often rotten. :(

BUt honestly, I am definitely looking forward to watching the Texans this year.