Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Colvin has been released

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by austins23, Sep 10, 2019.

1. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Mallet I agree with you and I have always said BoB shouldn't be picking QBs but I don't get what your obsession with Kalil is. It cost the Texans almost nothing to bring him in and kick the tires on him and frankly by trading for Tunsil even loosing the reps didn't hurt us. The same mindset that caused them to give HB, who you seem in love with now that he's not a Texan, a one year shot is why they gave Kalil another shot. A vet that's playing for his football life and may still have something in the tank. If they had carried him on the final 53 then yeah you would have a point but they didn't so no harm done. I'd say you need to learn to let things go but seeing as you bring up Brooks and Brown every other post I know that's not happening.

CWTexansFan, JB, Texas Jake and 3 others like this.
  2. frethack

frethack All Pro

Stop with the "OB wanted Mallett" stuff. We waited all offseason so that the price could be driven down to a *conditional* 6th. IIRC the Pats opened the bidding at a 3rd. Picking a guy up for a conditional 6th is hardly a full throated endorsement of his skills. He knew the system, was cheap and had enough talent to take a chance at the right price.

OB wanted Hoyer...thats bad enough. I think Hoyer was still only meant to be a bridge until we could find a better QB (which we did...years later).

CWTexansFan, JB, Texas Jake and 3 others like this.
  3. frethack

frethack All Pro

With Colvin gone, maybe Roby plays more in the slot (where he was best in Denver) and LJ gets playing time outside. That scares me, but at least LJ can get some safety help when he is on the field.

Anyone else see scenarios to fill our slot corner?

4. CPTTexan

CPTTexan Rookie

This right here was a quality move that needed to happen. Good job O'Brien. However his replacement isn't good.

CWTexansFan, frethack and steelbtexan like this.
  5. AstrosCruz

AstrosCruz Rookie

He’ll probably sign with jags and ball against us this week.

ROO and Surreal McCoy like this.
  6. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

oof hard to swallow that pill with the dead money, but hey you got a ton of money to spend on marginal guys like Martin might as well cut bait with Colvin what can you do he was a bust here. damn he got paid too.

Would be nice to see our 2nd round pick Lonnie Johnson get some playing time.

7. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Or he is finally enforcing the 'do your job' mantra.

:coffee:

8. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Philip Gaines signed, may be the plan moving forward....

The Houston Texans signed cornerback Phillip Gaines to the 53-man roster on Tuesday evening after a successful workout. According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, the club is giving the former Rice Owl a one-year contract.

9. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

He was gone after this year anyway imo...

10. Dejaview

Dejaview All Pro

Just saw this thread. I thought this would happen. That guys body language Monday night said it all. He looked like he didn’t give a damn.

CWTexansFan likes this.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

But this doesn't fit the narrative around these parts.

12. frethack

frethack All Pro

Yeah, I noticed that when he got beat (which was just about every target) he looked like a man leaving a bad job interview.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  13. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I just can't with a few in here anymore.....Might have to follow DB, Vinny, Houston Frog, CNND and some others I've noticed that don't post here as much anymore.

14. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

I'm kind of getting to the same point. There's no logic or reason to any of it any more. This has become a political debate except about football instead of politics. Both sides just trying to hammer their point home with no regard for anything even close to truth and declaring anything that doesn't agree with them as fake. When the Saints fans thought more highly of the Texans than the Texans fans it was really telling to me.

15. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Kalil took away snaps from better players. It should have been Tytus and Rod taking the snaps there and getting valuable experience.

He was an absolute waste. He set $2.5m on fire (it adds up) on a guy everyone knew was completely washed

frethack likes this.
  16. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

He also traded keenum away for a 6th round pick. Basically swapped them.

This is this core of the issue. He's a terrible talent evaluator (as well as terrible at play calling, time management, and GMing).

Also no the trade wasn't a full endorsement of mallet, but starting him, extending him, then starting him again next season absolutely was.

Houston should be proud of mallet and hoyer

76Texan likes this.
  17. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Not surprised people will start to leave when it looks like it's gonna be another mediocre year with terrible OL play

Uncle Rico and 76Texan like this.
  18. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

I have never understood this logic train. You disagree with someone and you can’t agree to disagree? Or just move on, or ignore that person? Instead you want to throw up your hands in defeat and move on to a group of people who agree with you? Whatever.

[​IMG]

19. frethack

frethack All Pro

Completely agree with you on OB as a talent evaluator. His body of work as a playcaller is suspect (though Monday night was a big improvement IMO).

The Mallett extension was 7 mil over two years with 1.75 mil guaranteed (mediocre backup money). He looked more competent than anything we had in-house before he tore his pec, so they started him the following season. Again, hardly a full throated endorsement. The contract says to me that they did not expect him to stick around long.

I have no issue with being honest about BOBs abilities. Just want to be accurate when doing it.

CWTexansFan and TheKDog like this.
  20. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

It seems like every thread evolves into the same thread centered on O'Brien hate and how this team sucks. I get tired of re-discussing the same thing over and over and over. It's like Ground Hog's Day. There is very little meaningful discussion anymore about the team or the players, and when it does occur it is soon downed out by O'Brien hate. I get that you hate O'Brien, I can understand why you don't like him, and respect your right to have an opinion. I am just tired of hearing it for the millionth time and would like to talk about other issues that concern this team.