Colts welcomed back from Super Bowl by a crowd of 11 fans

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Hookem Horns, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

2. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

I wonder who gets what after the 2011 strike. Sorry, I read the sentence and had the thought.

3. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

Somewhat off topic, but I remember when there was a rally planned at City Hall (I think) to show support for the Oilers to stay in Houston. I was in California on business, and it was on the news with video showing only a hand full of people. News reporters are experts in making fans or a team look bad with a smile or a smirk.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

NOBODY knew about that little rally until after it happened.

Adams had already made his decision to move the team by that point. I hate this is always brought up about Oilers fans, who put over 50,000 booties in the seats for three games during their lame duck season.

Looking at what Tom Benson did with the Saints after Katrina makes you really understand what a despicable human being Bud Adams is for moving his franchise for the only purpose of making more money. I'm glad he regretted it, but little consolation to Houston football fans.

Sorry for the off-topic rant. Your post just pushed a button. :panic:

5. Khari

Khari Administrator Staff Member

it's cold up there

6. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

down here too. :eek:

7. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I was a mere teenager but i'm CERTAIN that i knew about the rally beforehand. I'm not sure where i got the info but it had to be either the local newscast or the paper. I vividly remember planning to go and everything alas i didn't.

8. Double Barrel

Well, maybe so, but perhaps those that knew about it found it pointless since Adams had already made his decision.

If 50,000 people had showed up, would that change anything? The answer is no, because Adams had already made up his mind and that was that.

Staying away might have been a form of protest since it was pointless and most folks did not like Bud.

9. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

I think there was some back room deals done to keep the Saints in NO instead of moving them to SA where Benson is from. I can remember going to the sold out games played in the Alamo Dome and the team got a good following around town because of that.

10. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

The writing was on the wall when Bud pulled the old standby saying "it's not playable" used by all teams sporting artificial turf. I believe San Diego was a little miffed as well seeing how they flew the team all the way to Houston just to find that out.

11. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

I'm from Houston and I understood. My point was the delivery in California made it appear that Oiler fans couldn't care less that the team was moving and didn't deserve to have them remain in Houston. I think that most fans don't show up to meet the team that lost. If memory serves correctly, I thought the big Oiler pep rally was somewhat of a consolation because the team was robbed.

12. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I mostly agree here. I just don't really buy the copout that the fanbase didn't know about the rally. I mean... If i knew about it... Aw man... I remember seeing bumper stickers that said... GO OILERS AND TAKE THE ASTROS WITH YOU! There has been a severe disconnect with the Oilers organization and the fans before they left. It's been there since the threat of moving to Jacksonville.

13. Double Barrel

But, regardless of the circumstances, he still made the decision to stay in New Orleans. He could have been an asshat like Bud and found another city, but he did not, and the Superdome was in 1000x worse shape than the Astrodome when Bud left (much less the state of New Orleans and the fan base).

yeah, that ol' buzzard was planning it all along. He pulled it when he threatened to move to Jacksonville a few years before that and got $60 million in renovations to the 'dome. I think he's always been unscrupulous and that move just proved it so.

I didn't mean to point a finger at you or anything. :)

The big Oilers pep rally after the Steelers loss is still considered a record for the biggest in NFL history, IIRC.

Well, it must depend on the circle you're in. I sent out an e-mail and made some calls to my old football buddies (including both of my folks who had season tickets for years), and to be honest, NONE of them remember knowing anything about that rally until after it happened and they learned it on the news. It was just a small poll of about 20 people, but like I said, it was not well advertised before it happened.

Not that it would have made much difference about going if they had known or in Bud's mind since his decision was already made at that point.

I remember the bumper stickers, though, but that does not necessarily reflect the feelings of all Oilers fans. Some of us loved that team until the end, which then fermented into a raging hatred for that gigantic jerk.

NitroGSXR likes this.
  14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

That describes me, spot on.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

IIRC it was planned by one radio station. If you listened, it was talked about for about a week. But Butt had already made his decision to move and had already agreed to terms with Tickville so mostly nobody gave a crap about the rally.

I was there for about 5 of the home games that final season, and I remembered being embarrased that the Oiler fans were outnumbered by the Steeler fans.

BUCK FUD!!!:pirate:

16. Red_Zone

Red_Zone Resist We Much!

17. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I certainly didn't get the info from the radio. THAT I am certain of. Lol.

18. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I wasn't singling anybody out either. I think we all are diehards here. Even secondhoneymoon. Most of us are here for the Texans. The fact remains is that there were a lot of people who wanted both the Astros and the Oilers out. I believe that we as a fanbase took professional sports for granted somewhat. It's all good! We've got a better organization now so it all worked out in the end but i was hurt bad when the Oilers left. I won't take THE Texans for granted that's for sure.

19. Red_Zone

Red_Zone Resist We Much!

What, your radio doesn't have closed captioning? :D

NitroGSXR likes this.
  20. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

I wont lie, I am still hurt over that team leaving and it gets worse when I see old highlights of the Oilers. I enjoyed watching Full Color Football, but felt empty afterwards.