Colts Have Yet to Sign a Draft Pick

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by HOU-TEX, Jul 22, 2008.

1. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I thought this was kinda odd when I read it. They haven't signed one of their 9 draft picks, but they are still optimistic they'll be under contract when camp starts. Nine players in a few days? I suppose it's possible.....but doubtful. I reckon Polian's comments are meant to get the player's attention.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080722/SPORTS03/807220385/1100

2. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Good for him!!!! I like Polians attitude. These young rookies get paid WAY to much for having never played a down in an NFL uniform. JMO! Bout time someone had the balls to do something (or nothing) about it.

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I agree with the overall feeling about rooks being over paid, but it also depends what numbers Polian's offering. I don't think he's got a choice at this point but to at least offer something around what the hypothetical pay scale says.

4. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Agree with both of you on Polian's attitude.. Wish more would stand up against the players union and agents when signing these unproven rooks.

5. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Yeah, but until it's changed team's really don't have a choice but to continue rewarding rooks for nothing. Otherwise it'll just hurt the team. It sucks and I think Upshaw's a dick. IMO, he's really the only one standing in the way of improving this matter.

6. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I always saw Upshaw as more of a puppet for the agents who are really pulling the strings. Who knows though, either way you're right about it suckign until its changed.

7. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

I don't see how much negotiating you can do when everything kinda slots itself out naturally.

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

the biggest sticking point is usually the length of the contract and how much of that money is guaranteed.

9. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Other than what Vinny stated above, this is my point. Until a change is made there's not really much a team can do about it.

10. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

QFT! - It's a whole lot easier to take his stance when you're a perennial playoff team. If this is what it takes to start getting it fixed for everybody, I'm all for it!