Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Colts bring Kerry Collins out of retirement

Here's my take on why we need to be ready for a good game. Anyone remember our 1st game in 2003? Miami was heavily favored, set to be a serious Super Bowl Contender, had All Pros everywhere (Ricky Williams, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas etc...) along with like a 19-0 home opener win streak. There was no way in the world that the no offensive line, no offense, sorry 4-12 previous season, weak defense Texans were going to beat that Goliath of a team on the road!!!!

Then the snow ball iced over hell, and you see Andre Johnson holding up his hands in victory at the end of the game.

Any Given Sunday!!! Hopefully our Given Sunday starts this Sunday with a string of victories because we have a well focused and prepared team.

It is probably, indeed, true that Manning HAS been the Colts for the most part. But can you imagine, with all the media and fan commentary to that effect, how demoralizing and, in so many terms, how belittling this has got to be to hear for many of the hard-working players that have contributed over the years to this team's success?

On NFLN today, it's nothing but a tribute to Peyton Manning. Top 10 Peyton Manning Plays show, I kid you not.

Last night, Bob Costas uses halftime to make a speech about Peyton Manning while images and clips of Peyton fill the TV screen.

It's as if the guy died or something. The Colts are mere mortals now.

On NFLN today, it's nothing but a tribute to Peyton Manning. Top 10 Peyton Manning Plays show, I kid you not.

Last night, Bob Costas uses halftime to make a speech about Peyton Manning while images and clips of Peyton fill the TV screen.

It's as if the guy died or something. The Colts are mere mortals now.

^^^ All this is why my brother said he doesn't feel sorry for the Colts.

I'll bet if they offered up a 30 minute special on Schaub we'd all be watching like a hawk and laughing at the haters. Dolt fans are no different.

I'll bet if they offered up a 30 minute special on Schaub we'd all be watching like a hawk and laughing at the haters. Dolt fans are no different.

We'd be watching because it would be the first time to have happened.

How many times have we seen glorified images of Manning and the Colts when you see commercials for the NFL, NFLN, playoff commercials, SundayTicket commercials, Sports Illustrated commercials, and on and on....

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are the two guys we see on TV all the time. They are marketing magnets for companies.

I'm not saying they don't deserve it. I'm just saying that we're saturated with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Favre was another one.

Peyton Manning will be THE story all year long. Every week, the talking heads on TV will be discussing his absence and how the Colts are doing without him. It will be a season-long ordeal. Longest "Goodbye" in any sport of any era. Bank on it.

I'm I'm not mistaken, Peyton signed his monster extension AFTER his neck surgery. Even if he signed it before the surgery, the Colts front office had to know how serious Manning's injury and surgery were.

What I'm getting at is that I'm a little bit surprised the Irsay family was so willing to part with $26 million (the amount I'm hearing Peyton will walk away with if he never plays another down).

The Irsays historically have been just as offensively cheap as Bud Adams----even with players many considered part of the family.

I'm I'm not mistaken, Peyton signed his monster extension AFTER his neck surgery. Even if he signed it before the surgery, the Colts front office had to know how serious Manning's injury and surgery were.

What I'm getting at is that I'm a little bit surprised the Irsay family was so willing to part with $26 million (the amount I'm hearing Peyton will walk away with if he never plays another down).

The Irsays historically have been just as offensively cheap as Bud Adams----even with players many considered part of the family.

As the football-following world processes the news that Colts quarterback Peyton Manning will miss considerable time after undergoing spinal surgery on Thursday, only one thing is clear.

Peyton Manning will get paid a ton of money, even if he doesn’t take a single snap this year.

Per a league source, that new five-year, $90 million contract was given to Manning without the quarterback having to pass a physical. In other words, he got $20 million to sign, and the Colts didn’t insist on obtaining medical clearance that he can play before giving it to him. (He eventually passed a physical before being cleared to practice last week - before suffering the setback that caused the latest procedure.)

With the Colts choosing to keep Manning on the active roster, he’ll also pocket his $3.4 million base salary for the new season, along with a $3 million roster bonus tied to Manning being on the 53-man roster for any one game in 2011.

The next question, if Manning can’t play in 2011, becomes whether the Colts would pay him a $28 million option bonus, which is due early in the next league year. The Colts can avoid the payment only by cutting or trading Manning, and it would be shocking - actually, beyond shocking - if the team would sever ties with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

So why did the Colts sign Manning to this deal in the first place? Peter King of NBC and Sports Illustrated explained during the debut of NBC SportsTalk that the Colts had no concerns about the most recent surgery at the time it was conducted in May 2011, and that team Vice Chairman Bill Polian said on the day of the prior procedure that it would not impact the contract talks.

If the Colts knew then what they know now, it’s hard not to believe that they would have at most kept Manning under the franchise tag in 2011, waiting until 2012 to sign him to a long-term contract.

Somewhat McNairesque in that there seemed to be an element of overly naive trust (Cushing/"Overtrained Syndrome) or just plain wishful thinking, that putting the money down would have influence on a higher power to return the "reward.":kitten:

From Houstontexans.com:

“I believe on the stat sheet, they still count it as a sack whether it’s Kerry Collins or Peyton Manning. I’m just excited about the opportunity to play in the NFL and to go out there and try and get after somebody.”
- Rookie DE J.J. Watt, on if it takes anything away from Week 1 knowing that Colts QB Peyton Manning won’t be playing

We'd be watching because it would be the first time to have happened.

How many times have we seen glorified images of Manning and the Colts when you see commercials for the NFL, NFLN, playoff commercials, SundayTicket commercials, Sports Illustrated commercials, and on and on....

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are the two guys we see on TV all the time. They are marketing magnets for companies.

I'm not saying they don't deserve it. I'm just saying that we're saturated with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Favre was another one.

Peyton Manning will be THE story all year long. Every week, the talking heads on TV will be discussing his absence and how the Colts are doing without him. It will be a season-long ordeal. Longest "Goodbye" in any sport of any era. Bank on it.

Good, because they won't be very good, LOL.

Hoping the mods change this title from "Colts bring Kerry Collins out of retirement", to "Mario sends Kerry Collins in to retirement"

J/K, I don't wish any physical harm on Vodka Collins, just would like to see Mario on top of him all day tomorrow in a strictly plutonic way of course.

original.0

Anytime we are going up against this guy, I worry.

link here

The Indianapolis Colts have agreed to terms with free-agent quarterback Dan Orlovsky, according to a league source.

With starting quarterback Kerry Collins battling concussion-like symptoms following Sunday night's 23-20 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Colts auditioned Orlovsky and ex-Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Brodie Croyle on Tuesday, the Indianapolis Star reported.

While neither signal-caller boasts an impressive resume, Orlovsky had the inside edge on the basis of a few weeks spent in the Colts' system during the preseason. Orlovsky was among the Colts' final cuts when they trimmed their roster down to 53, but now he might be in the mix for the starting spot in Week 4.

There's no telling if coach Jim Caldwell believes Collins is the man for the job anymore -- concussion or no concussion -- and Curtis Painter was uneven during the second half against the Steelers, completing 5 of 11 passes for 60 yards.

Orlovsky has thrown for 1,679 yards and eight touchdowns to eight interceptions in 13 career games.

Back