Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Colts bring Kerry Collins out of retirement

They were due for some bad luck. They pay starters abscond worry with back ups and it really has never bit them in the ass. They honestly draft horribly and get away with it cause of 18. They were due, IMO

Could just be they're implementing an insurance policy. But either way, it's a good sign that at the very least, they will not be playing a completely healthy, well-practiced Peyton Manning.

I feel like they are very concerned about Peyton now, but I honestly cannot imagine #18 letting his consecutive games streak end unless he's in a coma in week 1

Even if he does play, it's evident now that he will not be at 100% recovered, and he sure won't be 100% practiced and atuned to his receivers.

This actually makes a lot of sense for the Colts. Think about it: Manning will likely only miss week 1, week 2 at the most. But given their options at quarterback with their current roster, why not get a guy who has marginal experience against the Texans. Thankfully the change in scheme will help here.

I personally think it's a testament to how much this Texan team scares the Colts that they're not comfortable going into week 1 without bringing in someone like Collins.

We're kidding ourselves if we think Peyton will miss week 1. He'll be playing.

The guy has two neck surgeries in a 15 month span and the Colts, after watching their back-up QB's flounder and their owner subsquently tweet that there are worries about Peyton starting, go out and sign a veteran QB and we are "kidding ourselves" for entertaining the idea that he doesn't start?

I'd contend you're kidding yourself for thinking we're kidding ourselves.

I agree with nero. Manning, for all his greatness, is still human. Two neck surgeries in 15 months is what it is, and even he has his limitations.

Signing Collins is indicative of their concerns at QB right now. And I'd much rather face Colllins than a gimpy Manning.

The guy has two neck surgeries in a 15 month span and the Colts, after watching their back-up QB's flounder and their owner subsquently tweet that there are worries about Peyton starting, go out and sign a veteran QB and we are "kidding ourselves" for entertaining the idea that he doesn't start?

I'd contend you're kidding yourself for thinking we're kidding ourselves.

Fair enough. We will see.

as good as we have been getting after the quarter back, i think itd be best if he did miss week 1, would hate for watt/mario to rip the poor guys head off.

Oh man, imagine the hatred this team would instantly get if they just so happened to aggravate Manning's injury so bad that he misses the year. The Texans take out the NFL's golden boy. :tiphat:

I fully expect to see Manning out there and in better shape than they're letting on. I think all the Collins signing shows is that they know they have **** for backups and the reality of Manning possibly going down is stronger than it's ever been. I hope Wade brings the house and puts Peyton on his ass early and often. Not saying hurt the guy, but rattle his cage and let's see that Peyton pout. Worrying about his neck will only help get that pout going.

Oh man, imagine the hatred this team would instantly get if they just so happened to aggravate Manning's injury so bad that he misses the year. The Texans take out the NFL's golden boy. :tiphat:

I would be fine with that. A team that's hated is a team top rated!

The only reason I hope Manning doesn't play is because if he does with his gimp neck, it will be National Flag Day and roughing the passer penalties will be thrown all day against us.

In all seriousness, they have to be extremely careful with this situation. A blindside hit that smashes the QB to the ground could be devastating to him in this condition. And the Texans certainly should take NONE of this into account. If he's out there, he's a legit target and our defense's intentions should be to get to him as aggressively as they can and rattle his cage.

It will be on his coaches and trainers to evaluate his situation. Manning's obsession with records will cloud his judgment. Cooler heads need to see big picture (career) over short term (one game). I'd hate to see the game take out one of the NFL's all-time greats instead of him going on out his own terms. Even as a rival, I have much respect for Manning and don't want to see the guy's last play leaving the field on a stretcher.

In all seriousness, they have to be extremely careful with this situation. A blindside hit that smashes the QB to the ground could be devastating to him in this condition. And the Texans certainly should take NONE of this into account. If he's out there, he's a legit target and our defense's intentions should be to get to him as aggressively as they can and rattle his cage.

It will be on his coaches and trainers to evaluate his situation. Manning's obsession with records will cloud his judgment. Cooler heads need to see big picture (career) over short term (one game). I'd hate to see the game take out one of the NFL's all-time greats instead of him going on out his own terms. Even as a rival, I have much respect for Manning and don't want to see the guy's last play leaving the field on a stretcher.

QFT! Plus, his commercials are funny.

If caution and common sense prevails (on the part of all parties involved............. Manning, coach and training camp, AND ownership), don't expect to see Manning out there before week 7.

this is what is going to happen...peyton will start the game regardless. their first series he'll just hand it off to addai and throw a really short pass or two. once they have to punt they pull him from the game and just say he can't continue, but they'll say "he tried his hardest for the team". peyton loves him that starting streak...and pics of nude underage boys.

Good point. Especially considering he just became a dad. Peyton has a lot more things to worry about now than his record and career.

The more we keep inviting the injury bug to any of our games, the more WE don't get rid of the injury bug. No bad Karma or anything like that is needed with Houston teams.

Maybe the Colts have been watching the Texan's pre-season and the hits and sacks they are getting on the opposing QB and have decided that their 100 million dollar man needs to get healthy before he is subjected to that kind of punishment.

With the way the Texans have been in the past and thewau the rest of the AFC South looks to be this year - they might figure that half a year with Peyton will be enough to win the Division.

You would really have to question letting Peyton start if he has a heightened risk of injuries, especially if you consider that they still have questions about their O-line.

Yeah but think of all the love from the fans of every other team facing them this season.

I'm comfortable with our team facing the colts W or W/O PM (A Lot of room for improvement obviously, but comfortable none the less.)

I still cant believe they gave Peymeaton another 90 million .... before knowing how his recovery would play out. Not complaining tho , that franchise has had more than its share of good fortune in recent years.

At first I wanted Peyton to play. We all know he won't be 100% and their offense is the most timing oriented offense in the league (with him). Now that I've thought about it and watched the first two preseason games, I'd rather Collins start.

(1) Collins is brand new to the team and will have had maybe 2 1/2 weeks to practice with the starters. Plus again this offseason was so different with the very shortened team practices, so that doesn't help Collins.

(2) If Peyton does play he's going to hand the ball off more than usual and their passing game will be quick, none of this 7 step drop and waiting for the play develop. Our defense can easily be run on, particularly up the middle, right now. Plus we have a tough time defending the short passes, slants, etc. Peyton would not give our pass rushers time to get to him, he'd get rid of the ball quicker than normal. Even Wade knowing this, I think our defense would struggle.

what is a Colt thread doing in Texans Talk? mods please move to NFL League News & Current Events :cow:

It relates to us in week 1, as we now seem likely to be playing against Collins.

Too bad Mike Vanderjagt isn't with the team anymore.... :htown2atx: (not tasteful I know)

Manning will play week one. Hell, an 80% Manning is better than most QB's in the league. Wouldn't you rather beat the Colts with Manning, than without? Without, you get the excuse, Texans beat the Colts because Manning didn't play.

DB,
I doubt that many fans caught this news back when. But as football intelligent as he definitely seems to be, he evidently lacks something upstairs to be making decisions like this. Maybe, he's already been hit once too many.
Manning admits underperforming on baseline concussion tests
NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: April 27, 2011 at 04:37 p.m. Updated: April 27, 2011 at 08:52 p.m.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning admitted Wednesday that he intentionally tries to underperform on the NFL's preseason baseline concussion test so he can remain off the injury report if he suffers a head injury during the season.

"They have these new (brain) tests we have to take," he said. "Before the season, you have to look at 20 pictures and turn the paper over and then try to draw those 20 pictures. And they do it with words, too. Twenty words, you flip it over, and try to write those 20 words.

"Then, after a concussion, you take the same test and if you do worse than you did on the first test, you can't play. So I just try to do badly on the first test."

The four-time league MVP made the revelation in an ESPN.com article when he was asked for his opinion about recent research into the long-term effects of concussions during a joint interview with his father, Archie, and brother, Eli.

As an aside in the ESPN.com article, Archie Manning slapped his forehead in disapproval.

:kubepalm::wadepalm:

Manning will play week one. Hell, an 80% Manning is better than most QB's in the league. Wouldn't you rather beat the Colts with Manning, than without? Without, you get the excuse, Texans beat the Colts because Manning didn't play.

Id rather win than anything. If their whole team is on IR and we play replacement players and we win, then I'll cheer and be happy!

Id rather win than anything. If their whole team is on IR and we play replacement players and we win, then I'll cheer and be happy!

Key players miss games every single year. As far as I know there aren't asterisks next to those games nor do they diminish post-season appearances or victories. A win is a win is a win.... and we need them.

it's a no win situation for us. we beat them with manning, they get the he's not 100% excuse. we beat them without manning, we get the he didn't play excuse.

PPP.......Prepare for Payton.....that is what should be word.....

I think he will want to be out there......and will if he has anything to say about it.......he does not want to give up his consecutive games streak.....

I wasn't that concerned when it was Manning..but please, whatever you do, don't put "the general" Collins out there!!

I'd rather win against Collins than lose against Manning. It's THAT simple. Who's to say that other teams' success in the past wasn't in part due to injuries to Schaub (2 years), or AJ, or suspensions of Brown and Cushing, etc. It's PM's turn. Ride the bench and sit this one out. I have no problem with it.

It's his neck so you err to the side of caution.

Who the hell cares if we beat the Colts without Manning. It's not like we haven't had our fair share of injuries before and that the win would go down in the record books with an asterisk beside it.

A win is a win is a win.

They were due for some bad luck. They pay starters abscond worry with back ups and it really has never bit them in the ass. They honestly draft horribly and get away with it cause of 18. They were due, IMO

Manning is a once in a generation QB. Ask Miami how easy it has been to replace Marino. Ask SF how easy it has been to replace Montana/Young. These kinds of QBs do not grow on trees. Once yours gets away/retires, you likely won't get another for a long, long time. Look how long Packer fans had to wait between Bart Starr and Favre.

When 18 retires, Indy will be a bottom feeder for a while.

Manning is a once in a generation QB. Ask Miami how easy it has been to replace Marino. Ask SF how easy it has been to replace Montana/Young. These kinds of QBs do not grow on trees. Once yours gets away/retires, you likely won't get another for a long, long time. Look how long Packer fans had to wait between Bart Starr and Favre.

When 18 retires, Indy will be a bottom feeder for a while.

Or, Peyton could miss several games, be ineffective when he returns, the Colts go 2-14 and draft Andrew Luck. :butterfly::turtle::bored::specnatz::kitten:

According to sources close to Peyton they don't believe he'll be ready for the opener.

"AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
@mortreport reporting Colts' braintrust does not believe Peyton Manning will be ready for regular-season opener in Houston. Manning hopeful.
"

Back