Colt McCoy

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by JamesBill, Jul 26, 2012.

1. JamesBill

JamesBill Veteran

Where do you see his upside? Any chance he can be an NFL starter again? Writing is on the wall in Cleveland.

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

A.J. Feeley - Cody Carelson - Gary Kubiak...long time backup type.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think he can be a very productive starter. I doubt anyone could have done much better if any in the situation he was in last year. His best WR is comparable to our Jacoby Jones. His best RB had strep throat & couldn't play 8 games or something silly like that.

I think he would have done better than Curtis Painter in Indy.

But you're right, the writing is on the wall. I think he's going to end up being a journey man waiting for the right opportunity. Best case scenario, his career will probably be similar to Rich Gannon's.

I don't think Cleveland's problem is their QB.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Not Tom Brady? Aaron Rodgers?

You've kind of lowered the bar, there. And Cleveland definitely thought they had a problem at QB.

Frankly, I think Vinny was kind in his comparisons to Colt. I would have gone with Chris Simms.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Surely those guys would have done better. But I doubt Brady would have had the year he had in 2011 with the Patriots, nor would Rodgers look like Superman.

A little off subject, but Cam Newton wouldn't have looked so good if Steve Smith wasn't out there catching balls & making plays.

Cleveland's got serious talent issues, mostly on offense.

The point wasn't about lowering the bar, but highlighting the tools he would have had in Indy versus what he had in Clevland. Reggie Wayne & Pierre Garcon would have helped Colt look much better than he did in Cleveland.

Curtis Painter on the other hand is just bad. He had Reggie Wayne & Pierre Garcon & couldn't do much with them.

6. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

His offensive line was pretty god-awful last season. I was thinking he needed better protection.

That was before Holmgren drafted a QB in the 1st round. Now I just think they've gone as far as they can with the guy.

One thing that I've learned as a Texans fan is this:

It's not always the offensive line's fault. I think everyone who watched the team from 2002-2006 knows what I'm getting at.

7. Rey

Rey Guest

I think Colt could be a serviceable starter.

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

His upside is Charlie Batch or Jeff Garcia, but he's being replaced because he isn't that big - fingers crossed when he's hit, and doesn't have the arm to drive the ball in a windy stadium. He's a good guy and I'm not trying to knock him but if he is starting, you're looking for a quarterback.

9. Pollardized

Pollardized Division Champ

I think he could be a great Refreshment Coordinator for many teams.

10. BCRich

BCRich Veteran

Big difference. Colt, imo, still has that will to win. He might be making mistakes trying to force it, but he's still standing tall when he needs to stand tall, picking up yards when he needs to pick up yards, and giving the other guys an opportunity to make a play when the team needs someone to make a play.

2002-2004, we had a QB that was doing the same for us. It wasn't until (midway through 2004) 2005, that I thought the will to win was beat out of him. He just didn't give a crap. Rather take a sack than throw an INT or give a receiver an opportunity to make a play. Rather hold on to the ball & run out of bounds behind the LOS than throw an incompletion, rather take the safe, four yard toss, than throw it to the guy wide open 15 yards down the field.

Colt hasn't got there yet.

11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Colt reminds me of a Jeff Garcia type of player. When he was drafted and coming into the league, I said that he would never be a quality NFL starter. He did look much better than I expected as a rookie though, and gave me some hope. His situation in Cleveland was way to bad to completely write him off like he failed though. That team gave him zero weapons, a poor running game, and a bad offensive line with a new coaching staff as well.

From what I watched of him, I'd take him over TJ Yates any day of the week.

12. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

I thought it was lack of testicular fortitude as the cause of absence.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep,

I would give up a 5/6th for McCoy to backup Schaub.

In fact at the same stages of their careers I would say Colt and Schaub are very comparable.

14. Texas T

Texas T Hall of Fame

This was his main problem last year (okay and no other playmakers on Offense) I don't think that there's a QB in the league who could have succeeded on that Brown's team (yes I'm including Brady and Rodgers). Maybe Rothlesburger would have been okay because he's one tough SOB and hard to bring down. QBs are very ineffective as a group while running for their life.

I do think that Colt would be a very effective QB in the right place, now will anyone give him a chance with the Browns stench all over him??

Texecutioner likes this.
  15. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Comparable as in just as good? Or skill set wise?

Because both are completely different.

16. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I agree, but I'm not really comparing them as QB's. I guess I'm just comparing the situation.

The thing that I learned from the Carr years was that if you think the QB's good and the rest of the team sucks, then there's a pretty good chance it's actually the other way around.

Looks like the Browns think it's the latter. I hope they're wrong. I've been a fan since his freshman year when he looked more like a high school freshman.

That's what I thought. His line was crap. His receivers were crap. Even the Pro Bowl running back was crap.

One thing's for sure, though. Mike Holmgren has a way better track record with pro QB's than Greg Davis.

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Skill set and temperment wise.

Both have good pocket presence and can handle pressure adequately. They both have have really good accuracy but below avg arm strength. Colt is more mobile than Schaub. But Schaub has more experience.

In short I believe if Gary was working with Colt, Colt could end up being as good if not better than Schaub in a few yrs. I know that I would feel more comfortable with McCoy backing up Schaub than Yates next yr. Hence my being willing to give up a 5/6th rd pick for McCoy.

18. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

No other NFL team would, that's why McCoy is still with the Browns.

If McCoy and Yates were both on the free agent market, Yates would get picked up first. Yates has the eye of the tiger. McCoy looks like he accidentally fell into the Lions den. The only two things I need to know about McCoy are:

1) His team saw enough over 2 seasons to draft his replacement
    2) No other NFL team would trade as much as a 7th rounder for him

Kubiak and Smith could have dealt for McCoy and didn't. That should tell you what side of the argument they fall on.

19. BCRich

BCRich Veteran

Sounds kinda like Drew Brees.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You are correct sir.

What's Rick/Garys record?

Not saying I could've done better.