Colt McCoy may be waived

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Spled, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Spled

Spled All Pro

2. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Maybe they are hoping for practice squad.

3. Rey

Rey Guest

Man...If they cut any of those guys I think I'd take them over Orvlosky..Delhomme, Wallace or colt

4. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

This is a shock to me.

I think Colt McCoy is going to develop into a very good NFL QB. And I think Cleveland is the place for him to do it.

5. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

It won't be a shock to me at all. I've said since Colt's Junior season that I didn't see him ever being a NFL QB. He doesn't seem tall enough and his arm isn't strong enough to me either. People like to site Drew Brees every time this discussion comes up, but Brees is more of an exception as far as his height goes than the ladder. I hope I'm wrong, because I'm a huge Colt fan, but I just don't see him as an NFL QB. Not as a starter anywhere.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

With our TEs, Walter and Rbs he would not need a strong arm. I'd sign him.

7. The1ApplePie

If nothing else, it could distract the Houston love for another former UT QB

The only reason this makes sense is if the Browns really want Locker or Mallet next year

Delhomme and Wallace are not permenant solutions

8. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

How would wanting Locker or Mallet (or maybe Luck) next year cause getting rid of Colt this year to make sense?

9. The1ApplePie

They took him as a QB for the future, with Delhomme keeping the seat warm. If they lost faith in Colt or fell in love with a top pick, it makes sense

10. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

It seems to me that if they need a QB of the future that badly, that actually makes it dumber to get rid of him now. You've got a 1 year free no/risk look at what he might become. If you're right - cut him in a year with perhaps slightly less egg on your face, and have the ability to go after one of those two (or three) anyway. If he proves you wrong, you've still got him.

11. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

No, I think Colt is hoping for the practice squad. I'm not surprised at all that he is on the bubble. He was a good College QB and I never could see him on the NFL level. He won't be the first big name college QB to lay a egg on the next level. I Never thought Colt had "it".

12. gary

gary Hall of Fame

One team's loss may be another team's gem.

13. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

Sign him for what...we already have to many waterboys. Colt = Major Applewhite...go into coaching young man.

14. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

This can't be true. I just can't imagine a team just giving up and waiving a 3rd (4th? I forget which round he went) round QB who was going to be a project to begin with. It is the Browns though, so who knows.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Consider the source.

16. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

If this happens, then just wow. Its all speculation at the moment, but I'd be shocked if the Browns ditched Colt before the season opener.

This could turn out to be a pretty good example for what can happen to a QB for not choosing to go into the draft early. I'm not sure he would have fallen to the 3rd round if he'd came out after the junior season.

Either way, I hope he at least gets a shot at some game time with a team. If not, we'll have him up here in Canada to replace Casey Printers for the BC Lions!

17. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Colt will never be a long term starter anywhere, and I've said that since his Junior season and keep in mind I'm a huge Longhorns and Colt McCoy fan. Most Longhorn fans analyze him as a guy with all this potential because they "want" him to do well, but haven't considered the fact that QB's his size and height hardly ever make it in the league these days and most coaches hate QB's his height whether they're good or not. Most of them don't get much of a chance.

Colt's got a lack of arm strength for the NFL, he's got a lack of height, and he's got a small frame. He'll be a back up and nothing more in the NFL and I doubt that he'll even be a back up for more than 3 seasons. Every time someone mentions these things people like to scream out Drew Brees, Drew Brees like he's comparable, but that's just nuts to me. Colt McCoy is no Drew Brees. He was your typical guy that was perfect for the college game just like Matt Heipel was for Oklahoma when he won the Heisman and the National Championship.

18. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Let's see if he can return kicks.

19. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

You hit the nail on the head. Drew Brees is one in a million.

20. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Except for Chase Daniels

badboy likes this.