Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Collins in Oakland!

Oakland seems like the perfect fit for Collins. He can caddy for Gannon for a year or two. With the additions on the line, the Raiders will make all of their QB's look good. Give Collins a good line and he can pick apart a defense.

I think it is more indicative of the fact that they do not have an eventual replacement for Gannon. The guy probably had only 1-2 years left in him.

Ya, I am sure that enters into it also. I would think they would try for a younger QB than Collins though. Isn't he like 29 or so? Certainly brings the experience, but you are then back in the same situation in a couple of years. Of course I have heard that Al Davis doesn't like younger guys, particularly at QB.

The Raiders and Davis have a way of taking a mediocre or over-the-hill player, particularly QB's, and making them look like gold.

dirty steve said:
Rattay is out for a substantial amount of time--might he be a suitable short term replacement?
Ken Dorsey is the replacement for Rattay. All Canes are winners.

with or without Collins the black & silver are a much better team than 4-12 I'll bet beer on that. As a matter of fact it was brilliant move to tank after the Superbowl embarrasment now they have both Saap & Robert Gallery. I've seen some clips of Gallery in mini-camp moving smaller, weaker lineman around like rag dolls lol. :twocents:

HoustonTexansAreTheBest said:
Do you really believe Gannon will be dropped. I highly doubt it. Gannon will either play and collins back up or he'll back up collins.

yes i do think he will be cut, for financial reasons of course. if gannon refuses to take a pay cut they wont have much of a choice but to cut him.

you this is a what have you done for me lately league...gannon last year was just horrible his first few games...he couldn't really blame the line cause he had the same line the previous season...they all just looked old and tired...now though their o-line is younger but more inexperienced...wonder how this is going to play out for them

Gannon won't drop his salary (much like Collins wouldn't)...he has said as much. He's 37 and Collins is not even 30 yet...still wet behind the ears as far as Al Davis is concerned.

Collins will sign and I think he will thrive their for a few seasons...he will have a solid line to protect him and he is as good as anyone in the NFL at the vertical passing game.

Gannon will won't be on the market long. Gruden will snap him up and Tampa will be his sunset gig for let's say about 2 seasons then he's playing shuffle board for a living.

J-Man said:
Gannon won't drop his salary (much like Collins wouldn't)...he has said as much. He's 37 and Collins is not even 30 yet...still wet behind the ears as far as Al Davis is concerned.

Actually, Gannon is 38 and Collins is 31...

scourge said:
Actually, Gannon is 38 and Collins is 31...

Ok...then 1 year before Gannon starts hustling other retirees at shuffle board and that would make Collins only slightly damp behind the ears in the Raiders eys. :fight:

Collins has a better pedigree than Plunkett had when he went to Oakland. Of course he also has more baggage but then that's par for the course for a Raider player.

IMO this was a real good move for the Raiders. Time will tell though.

Hervoyel said:
Collins has a better pedigree than Plunkett had when he went to Oakland. Of course he also has more baggage but then that's par for the course for a Raider player.

IMO this was a real good move for the Raiders. Time will tell though.

Better pedigree than Plunkett? On what basis do you make that statement? I could be wrong but I seem to remember Plunkett winning the Heisman & selected #1 overall in the draft. He was forced into a bad team, like Eli Manning this year, seemed finished then Al Davis re-vitalialized him in Oakland where he won a Superbowl.

beerlover said:
Better pedigree than Plunkett? On what basis do you make that statement? I could be wrong but I seem to remember Plunkett winning the Heisman & selected #1 overall in the draft. He was forced into a bad team, like Eli Manning this year, seemed finished then Al Davis re-vitalialized him in Oakland where he won a Superbowl.

Simple. I base this on the fact that when Plunkett arrived in Oakland he'd accomplished almost absolutely nothing on the professional level. The year after he came to the Raiders Dan Pastorini was going to be their starting QB. Plunkett was going to back him up. The Raiders traded for Pastorini so clearly they didn't think he was going to break loose late in his career.

Dan broke his leg and the rest was history. Prior to his success with the Raiders though Plunkett hadn't been successful since his college days (which you accurately make mention of). He never played on a New England team that finished better than .500 and only finished at .500 once. In San Francisco he led them to one winning season and then it was back to losing. He came to Oakland looking like a bust.

Collins comes to Oakland having had success in the NFL. He led the Giants to the Super Bowl and the Panthers to an NFC championship game. Has he been an elite QB? Of course not but he's had success. His off the field problems messed his career up right square in the middle of it but he's turned it around and proven that he can win.

Maybe that should have read "better NFL pedigree" than Plunkett though.

The thing that was so impressive about Plunkett was he threw the ball downfield so softly, like a pillow with remarkable touch & accuracy. Not especially mobile except when he had to as exlemplfied in the Superbowl. Traits that Collins has never exhibited.

We'll have to see how the team responds to Collins, I would think Gannon would be the popular choice. But both should look very good with that revamped offensive line led by Robert Gallery. He happened into a very good situation in Oakland, out of the NY, good luck ELI :soldier:

Back