Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

College football season

Still very early but here are some observations from the first few weeks.

IMPRESSED SO FAR

RB Ronald Jones, USC
- Shut down in the run game by Texas but still found a way to contribute with a long TD catch and run. This guy is just electric. Can do just about everything.
RB John Kelly, Tennessee - Not on any watch lists or draft boards. This dude lit up Georgia Tech and Florida.
FB Dimitri Flowers, Oklahoma - He has showcased ability as an every down FB. He can run, block, and catch.
WR Anthony Miller, Memphis - Extremely productive player. Brings it in big games too. His most productive games are against the best opponents.
TE Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin - Extremely versatile. Wisconsin doesn't use him enough but he still gets numbers. Best three games last year were LSU, Ohio St, and in the Cotton Bowl.
OG Damian Prince, Maryland - Looked out of place previously as an OT but this dude has been a machine at OG. He's an absolute mauler in the run game and he's pretty athletic too.
DE Bradley Chubb, North Carolina St - Great production the last two years, backed by a strong opening performance against South Carolina.
LB Josey Jewell, Iowa - Tackle machine the last two years. Dominated the Wyoming game.
LB Mike McCray, Michigan - Caught my eye last year. Struggles a little in space but this guy makes plays.
CB Duke Dawson, Florida - Not a great prospect but underrated, IMO. May have been the best player not named John Kelly on the field in the Tennessee game.

NOT IMPRESSED SO FAR
QB Josh Allen, Wyoming
- Total bust against both teams scouts wanted to see him against. Year is far from over but at this point I'm seeing a guy that needs another year of college.
TE Hayden Hurst, South Carolina - Getting first round hype in some circles. I don't see it. He's a ht/wt/sp guy without the production to back up the evaluation. He's also the oldest player on the field in every game he plays.
OG Braden Smith, Auburn - Not getting a lot of help from his partners on the OL but I see a good athlete who is protected by scheme. I do not see very much technique here. Considered the best OL in the nation by some?
EDGE Harold Landry, Boston College - Insane production last year. Not off to a hot start so far. Notre Dame took him totally out of the game.
LB Malik Jefferson, Texas - Never been impressed. Extremely athletic but soft and timid. Bad traits for a LB. He did have the best game of his career against USC so maybe he's turning it around.

FAVORITE UNDERCLASSMEN SO FAR
LB Devin Bush, Michigan
- Not eligible for the draft until after next season. I'm in love with this guy. He's almost perfect and only a true sophomore. He's the best player on a Michigan team that is absolutely loaded with athletes.

John Kelly has been the best player on the field so far regardless of who Tennessee has played. I listed Fumagalli and Jewell in my preseason mid-rounders to watch list. Don't think those guys will last until the 3rd round at this point. Especially Jewell.

Also have not been impressed with Allen. He's all hype at this point. I'm not seeing top-10 pick at all. Jefferson shows flashes but is very inconsistent. Would like to see him put it together because athletically he is the complete package.

As for Bush, he has been a revelation this year. Already the best LB I've seen at Michigan in quite some time. Him and Maurice Hurst have been nothing short of dominant so far.

We agree on Grier.

What I liked about Montez is for such a big guy he sure is light on his feet and he moves extremely well in the pocket but yes he is raw and young.

We agree on Fitzgerald but last Saturday was one of those hits against a good LSU D. LSU missing Fournette.

Most of my comments at this point are based on weekly performances and not so much the college career.
Grier looks good, but I don't think he was pressured much at all, and his receivers got open quite often.
Need to see how he handles pressure and throws into tight windows.

Montez has a lot of work to do. Colorado does a really good job on offense of giving the QB easy reads. When he gets pressured he gets into trouble. Needs to get more consistent. I'd like to see him perform against an actual defense this year instead of the cupcakes they've played so far.

There is a lot to like there with Fitzgerald but I find his accuracy to be troubling. Very hit or miss.

The Football Gods have granted your wish:

Washington VS Colorado;
Saturday, September 23, 9:00 PM on FS1
Folsom Field, Boulder, Colorado

Fitzgerald is at Georgia, I look for a miss after the big high of dominating LSU last week.

MS State vs Georgia
Saturday, September 23, 6:00 PM on ESPN
Sanford Stadium, Athens, Georgia

It may be way too early in the season but does anyone see any good OT's that could be had in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of next years draft? I know the Texans don't have a 2nd rounder but I'm guessing they will move up for an OT this year with the way their O-line has been playing lately.

It may be way too early in the season but does anyone see any good OT's that could be had in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of next years draft? I know the Texans don't have a 2nd rounder but I'm guessing they will move up for an OT this year with the way their O-line has been playing lately.
Off the top of my head, Jamarco Jones, Ohio St and Tyrell Crosby Oregon

Not a fan of Jamarco Jones

Big fan of Crosby if healthy, I haven't seen him play this yr, how has he looked coming back from injury?
Ducks best Olineman and O has started out going gangbusters. Over 500+ total yards and 200+ yards rushing in each of it's firs two games.

I'm watching this Virginia vs Boise St game right now and I have to say this Boise St OL looks pretty impressive. More study needed but so far so good.
Never mind, first drive OL looked liked world beaters, since then not much going on or anything to get excited about.

I wouldn't get used to it. Dude throws mind boggling picks under pressure. He'll be fine for most of AAC play, but if you get into a shootout with Memphis or SMU, he'll mess up.

Well, he looked like garbage today throwing two interceptions forcing the ball into coverage. He also had a fumble but it was really the center's fault.

The Houston Cougars let me down today.
I'll be depressed for the rest of the evening.
A Texans upset over the Patriots will cheer me up!

That Texas Tech won wasn't too surprising to me. What did surprise me was that we won with only 27 points and with the defense forcing 4 turnovers (and special teams getting a fifth). The rest of this season looks like it's going to be rough, but at least we had a good start to it.

Last edited:
A&M might be a dumpster fire, but our true freshman QB, Kellen Mond, is giving me reason for some hope

2xp5g93

2xpRRxs

The Houston Cougars let me down today.
I'll be depressed for the rest of the evening.
A Texans upset over the Patriots will cheer me up!

The offense has been really disappointing to start the season. It was pretty brutal out at the stadium today I like for us to win if I am going to sit out there in miserable heat like that for 4 hours.

USC is so damn overrated
You called it right! I forgot to post this last night.
The game ended past midnight. I slept through some of it.

Washington State and Mike Leach are on the way up!

Washington State coach Mike Leach expresses how happy he is with his team's 30-27 win over USC and what this means for the program moving forward.

You called it right! I forgot to post this last night.
The game ended past midnight. I slept through some of it.

Washington State and Mike Leach are on the way up!

Washington State coach Mike Leach expresses how happy he is with his team's 30-27 win over USC and what this means for the program moving forward.

Well hell if it wasn't for God awful officiating (I'm still pissed) they would've lost to a Texas team that was led by a true freshman. I expect them to lose quite a few more times times this season.

A&M is about to go into the Bama Buzzsaw, but so far this team doesn't look like a 6-6 team. We could possibly go 9-3 in a down SEC. Miss State is weak away from home, LSU looks just awful, Florida will be tough on the road but is kinda mediocre. Only Auburn really looks tough. Ole Miss could be a trap game but I think Summy wants revenge for what happened last time at home.

I could envision something like this:

Bama - L
@Florida - W/L
Miss State - W
Auburn - W/L
New Mexico - W
Ole Miss - W
LSU - W/L (if only because Sumlin has never beat LSU)

Win 2/3 of Florida, Auburn, and LSU, and we're golden.

Also, from everyone who was at Kyle Field on Saturday - they said the atmosphere was beyond wild. It was more deafening than it's been since before the Manziel years, after the defense sacked South Carolina's QB 5 times in the 4Q

The SEC looks dreadful this year. As rough as A&M has had it, they could really make a run if Mond steadily improves each week.

The SEC looks dreadful this year. As rough as A&M has had it, they could really make a run if Mond steadily improves each week.

Yep, for some reason the SEC, ACC and PAC12 are getting a lot of attention. Only Alabama and Georgia deserve to be in the top 25 in the SEC and only Clemson does in the ACC. USC was overrated to start the year as usual, Washington St will lose 3+ games, and Washington struggled most of the game against Rutgers who is the doormat of the Big10. Big 12 and B1G are the two deepest conferences this year.

A&M is about to go into the Bama Buzzsaw, but so far this team doesn't look like a 6-6 team. We could possibly go 9-3 in a down SEC. Miss State is weak away from home, LSU looks just awful, Florida will be tough on the road but is kinda mediocre. Only Auburn really looks tough. Ole Miss could be a trap game but I think Summy wants revenge for what happened last time at home.

I could envision something like this:

Bama - L
@Florida - W/L
Miss State - W
Auburn - W/L
New Mexico - W
Ole Miss - W
LSU - W/L (if only because Sumlin has never beat LSU)

Win 2/3 of Florida, Auburn, and LSU, and we're golden.

Also, from everyone who was at Kyle Field on Saturday - they said the atmosphere was beyond wild. It was more deafening than it's been since before the Manziel years, after the defense sacked South Carolina's QB 5 times in the 4Q

I'll believe 9-3 when I see it. I think the early season record is deceiving. Blowing the UCLA game, struggling with Nichols, barely beating average Arkansas and SC teams. There are some big warning signs and the schedule is about to get a lot tougher.

Also, A&M has started off hot each of the last few years and has gone 11-15 after October over the last 3 years.

How dumb does LSU feel right now for forcing out Miles for an interim coach?

LSU was on a downward trend under Miles but he certainly never lost to Troy. What an overreaction by the AD.

Didn't LSU give Orgeron like a $12M buyout also? Nobody was even courting this guy.

How about that? Coogs beat #17 USF with a brilliant last minute drive and score on a D'Eric King run with 11 seconds left. UH also found their starting QB.

Alabama Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban tells reporters that he's focused on the next four games and isn't wasting any time on thinking about the College Football Playoff.

How about that? Coogs beat #17 USF with a brilliant last minute drive and score on a D'Eric King run with 11 seconds left. UH also found their starting QB.
It felt bittersweet to me, brother. Just shows how good we really were but underachieved. The injuries didn't help. Also the coaching turnover rubbed me the wrong way. It's not like Tom Herman is doing all that great his first year at UT. Not the fact he left for a better paycheck and opportunity going to a power five conference. But the fact the Big 12 voted down the Houston Cougars. Had we gone to the Big 12, Mr. Herman had a $5 million dollar bonus along with an annual pay raise increase. He would have been paid more here than UT, and he would have stayed.

I felt like the Houston Cougars could have gone undefeated in any of the past few years. I wanted to crash the Final Four college football playoffs despite playing in the AAC (American Athletic Conference). Well, I guess we would have been in the Big 12 instead. But you get the point. I'm just bummed out and bitter mostly. I couldn't even enjoy beating a ranked team.

It felt bittersweet to me, brother. Just shows how good we really were but underachieved. The injuries didn't help. Also the coaching turnover rubbed me the wrong way. It's not like Tom Herman is doing all that great his first year at UT. Not the fact he left for a better paycheck and opportunity going to a power five conference. But the fact the Big 12 voted down the Houston Cougars. Had we gone to the Big 12, Mr. Herman had a $5 million dollar bonus along with an annual pay raise increase. He would have been paid more here than UT, and he would have stayed.

I felt like the Houston Cougars could have gone undefeated in any of the past few years. I wanted to crash the Final Four college football playoffs despite playing in the AAC (American Athletic Conference). Well, I guess we would have been in the Big 12 instead. But you get the point. I'm just bummed out and bitter mostly. I couldn't even enjoy beating a ranked team.

"It ain't easy being a Houston Cougar." Bill Yeoman

I'm surprised it took so long for D'Eriq King to get a look at QB. Kid threw for 10,000 yards and 140 TDs in high school and he went straight to WR at UH.

Best season college football for me in some time. College up for me while NFL not so interesting.

yeah I could argue either side. Still the playoffs offered lots of football and many were good games. No fun watching blow outs even if I am watching certain player(s) for draft purpose.

Anyone see the Alabama LB Mekhi Brown's tirade and on sideline with a staff member during Championship game? He is off roster now and had applied to Tennessee State & was admitted during the fall. He has already moved into dorm. Has to meet certain criteria to be allowed to participate in spring practice. i don't understand how he could play for 'Bama while admitted to T.S.U.

Alabama outside linebacker Mekhi Brown has transferred to Tennessee State, according to The Tennessean.

Brown, who got into a sideline altercation with a Crimson Tide staff member during the College Football Playoff National Championship Game, is no longer listed on Alabama's online roster.

According to The Tennessean, Brown actually applied at TSU and was admitted in the fall. The Columbus, Ga., native has already moved into his dorm room and is set to start attending classes. He will have certain requirements to meet before being allowed to join the TSU football team.
https://247sports.com/college/alaba...61-22-E7-CF-20180115_153505AlabamaCrimsonTide

i don't understand how he could play for 'Bama while admitted to T.S.U.

I don't think it matters as long as he did the requisite classes at Alabama. While he obviously couldn't play football at both schools at the same time, I'm sure he could be admitted, and even attend classes without affecting eligibility.

Tyler Hilinski had a bright future. He was going to be the full-time starter next year. I first remember hearing about him at the elite quarterback camps for high schoolers three or four years ago. I remember Jeff Garcia was coaching one of those camps and called Hillinski a pure natural.

He would have been an NFL QB in a few years.
I just don't get it. Why? It doesn't make any sense.

I feel so bad for his family and friends, and also Washington State. There has to have been something people missed. Why wasn't there more help for this young man?

there are usually signs of those who commit suicide but unfortunately many are not "seen" until after. Often family and friends try to wish them away and many don't know how to talk to person. A simple straightforward "are you thinking of harming yourself?" is good way to start. Agree that more funds should be directed to field of mental health. My prayers are for those of his family who are now going through horrible grief, sadness and probably anger.

Reactions: JB
Back