College DCs For Richard Smith's Replacement?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Ali4Real, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Ali4Real

Ali4Real Guest

Any chance we can bring in Dick Bumpas from TCU or Will Muschamp from Texas to be our DC?

:fans:

2. MeLoveTexans

MeLoveTexans All Pro

Muschamp has already been named the next UT head coach when Mack steps down.

3. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

I think I saw an article the other day that Muschamp is the HC in waiting at UT.

4. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Great minds think alike.

5. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Muschamp is off the market.

I vote Tom Bradley, Penn St.

6. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I'm not a diehard OU fan, but I did like the late blitz scheme they ran against Tech.

7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I think Venables will wind up as Clemson head coach...

8. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please get SOMEONE with NFL experience!!!!

I don't usually yell, BUT, I think I might have to :gun: myself if we have to train someone else!!! Hell, I would rather them bring back Capers than hire a college coach!!

9. BuffaloglennTX

BuffaloglennTX Rookie

X2 - NFL experience is a must. Although we hear coach Kubes use the word "kids" a lot when describing his players, they are not kids. We need a man, someone who's fourty. :chickendance:

10. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Most guys with NFL experience probably aren't very good or they would have a job.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

There will be some good DC's available after this season is over .... Several orginizations will clean house leaving many out of work .... there is bound to be someone who could fix this mess.

On a side note , I (just a thought after watching the game Sunday) dont think Dick was calling the plays this week .... They were far too aggressive to have been called by Smith. I wonder ....

12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

On the one hand you disqualify, this guy and on the other hand you qualify him:

OSU Coach Mike Gundy: "I'M A MAN!! I'M FORTY!!"

:whip:

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I can't say for sure who was calling the defense, but the only really aggressive person on the D line was none other than Mario. He's the only one that I saw get close to the QB. The rest of the line was usually waltzing near the LOS with the partner of choice. And we were so much more aggressive that we saw 0 sacks. Our secondary seemed to play somewhat more aggressive, but that was due in large part to an illusion created by poor misdirected Browns passing and an unbelievable number of gimme dropped passes. If the Browns weren't trying to give the game away, it could have gotten very ugly very quickly.

14. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I vote for Sean McDermott, the Philadelphia Eagles secondary Coach. He has been under Jim Johnson's tutelage for 10 years. Jim Johnson is known for strong defenses with creative blitzing. I think this is guy we should get.

15. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I like him as well, mostly based on the PFW article someone posted earlier and my gut. Spagnuolo came from there and that defense seems like the hot ticket item in the NFL right now.

16. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

This is the best idea I've heard yet regarding a new DC.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I saw Demeco blitz a handfull of times , as well as the safety blitz on the play that Weaver got his INT .... That was a pretty nice package although I know a lot here dont like to see DE's in coverage .... they brought the same amount of players but disguised where they were coming from and it threw a monkey wrench in the QB's read.
    I'd like to see more creative packages like that one rather than the same old stale defense we have seen the past two seasons. You dont always have to bring more attackers than they supply blockers .... You can also disguise where the heat is coming from and confuse not only the QB in his reads but the OL in their blocking assignments.

18. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Is anybody else scared the the College guy they might consider as a new DC would be Greg Robinson late of Syracuse? He was the DC at Denver for both Super Bowl wins. He started as DC the same year Kubes started as OC, and with the exception of his final year, he had some pretty good defenses. And he's obviously got a tie to Texas that was established prior to going to Syracuse.

Not saying I want it to happen (in fact, I'm saying I don't want it to happen), but for some reason, it wouldn't shock me if it did.

19. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Couldn't agree more. I never had a problem with Capers other than him never calling Carr out and demanding more dedication and professionalism as our QB. Even Kubiak did that and did it his first year here. DC just didn't respond to it and was subsequently shown the door.

20. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

It's probably the most likely guy that Kubiak would hire. I believe he was on the short list during Kubiak's initial changes but the Broncos season lasted too long that year and Kubiak couldn't make any moves or phone calls until the Broncos had been eliminated. By then everyone was taken on the short list...then they had to go to the 'sh*t list' which rewarded us with 3 years of Richard Smith's emasculated defense.