Coleman has "mixed emotions" over switch...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by scourge, May 17, 2004.

1. scourge

scourge Digression King

I cant blame him, but anyways, not sure if this had been posted, but...

from espn.com

2. Keldar

Keldar Veteran

The biggest question mark for the upcoming season is DT Seth Payne, who the Texans are hopeful -- but not sure -- will be recovered from multiple left knee surgeries.

Yikes,.............uh, did I say yikes? I meant Uh-Oh, Yikes!!!!! :eek:

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

This was the line I found most interesting--sounds like Wong is penciled in on the right and Babin and Peek are fighting out the left--kind of thought Babin had the left with Peek still fighting at right.

As for Payne, what did you expect? He is going to be the biggest question mark until he appears in full contact drills or a game--neither of which is likely to happen until pre-season. For injury updates, I would like to hear something about Walker, Wright and Faggins.

4. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Yeah, they talked about Babin at LOLB last week during rookie minicamp.

Here's the Chronicle's version of the Coleman story. In this article it sounds more like mixed emotions are past tense and that he's dealing with the transition just fine. Hopefully he'll pick up the "calls" with no trouble.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/2575576

5. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

IMO Coleman should be thrilled. He gets to move to a position that will prolong his career a bit and gets to stay on the team. If he wasn't as talented as he is he could have been benched or cut.

6. infantrycak

Seems from the article aj posted that he is taking it just fine, but it is understandable if he is a little disgruntled. He is in a contract year. He just watched basket fulls of cash get thrown at every warm CB free agent this off-season and instead he is being put into a position where his current salary is already over franchise level.

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I really like the way Capers handled this, telling Coleman face to face that he could play 3 or 4 more years at corner but it is what the team needs right now. To me that says, I am not putting you hear because I don't think you can play corner...It says I am putting you hear because you CAN play corner AND you are good enough to make the transition.

Now lets take for example Marlon Mcree, or any of the other young FS we have back there at this time. If these guys step up and actually earn the starting j, now we have a guy that can take back his CB role should Dunta not pan out or even allow Dunta to replace Glenn should he ever retire soon, or if one of our starting CBs goes down with injury we have a proven man at corner.

This will prove to be one of the best moves our defense has made.

I also like the move of Wong to the right side because now people will not be able to run at us over there with ease like they did last year.

8. Chance_C

Chance_C Site Contributor

I read the article in the chronic also. It was worded almost the same, at least the first part of it. I got the feeling that the mixed emotions were past tense in both articles.

I also think he will do a fine job at safety for us.

9. Blake

Blake MMQB

He is a great athlete and will thrive at the S position.

10. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

I sure hope Seth Payne gets better quickly. Those last words in the article didn't sound too good.

11. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

That, IMO, is the only spot for any real concern that we have this year (baring a rash of injuries). Every other position on defense and offense is fairly solid. Could allways upgrade some, but overall, pretty solid. If Seth is unable to be productive we will adjust, but it will not be as strong of a d-line as it could/should be. The starting units are both good to very good and the depth for both sides of the ball looks reasonable. Should be a fun year to watch.

12. texman8

texman8 Veteran

On 610 sports radio, Cp said Payne should be ready by first or second week of training camp.

13. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

I doubt that seriously, and even if he was they probably will play it safe and hold him out of contact drills

14. infantrycak

FYI--DeLoach (6'2") is 5 lbs bigger than Smith (6'4"), 10 lbs bigger than Walker (6'2") and 12 lbs bigger than Payne (6'4")--the better statement is he just isn't as good.

15. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

Deloach is just not the same as Payne. Maybe Deloach will have improved this year.

16. Dilbert R.

Dilbert R. Rookie

Nobody is the same as Payne in my book. IF he comes back hard, and ready to go, we are in for a great season.

17. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

the thing about payne isn't that he's that big...it's that when he's on the field he plays like a big bully on the playground...he's aggressive...mean...he's a defensive lineman...deloach has the size and a little aggression but not like payne does