Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Coleman found Guilty

Heard last evening on 610, Coleman will face a fine, but no suspension. The Texans on the other han, may take some action of their own. A fine, Suspension, game check forfeit? Who knows? I for one beleive the man should be fined by the league, but suspended is another story. He made a mistake and now let's see how he learns from it!

Last evening, as we all know, Marcus Coleman was convicted on his DWI. As I was listenting to 610, many voiced their opinion regarding what the league and the Texans organization should do. Fine him? Suspend him? Suport him? Don't Support him? One caller actually was upset the organization was in his corner prior to the conviction and said they would be there after.

My opinion is this. If we were in the same situation as Marcus Coleman, we all may be scared, upset, nervous, sorry, embarrassed, etc. We all would have a range of emotions that this young man is going through. But the bottom line is, we, like him, would realize that we made a traggic mistake that could have cost someone their lives, along with our own. I for one beleive, maybe he should be given a fine by the NFL (As he has) and given community service time, monitored. HE MADE A MISTAKE! Jail time is not warranted. Suspend his license. But to take the man away from his livelihood, to take food away from his family (although it may be lobster), is wrong. He still has the responsibility to support his family and the right to do so. The case that he makes millions of dollars is irrelevant. The Texans organization, like we all wish we had at our respective jobs, should support their employee to the best of their ability, not labeling him as a bad seed and no longer suitable for society, but aid him in getting help for a potential problem! But to throw this guy to the side of severe criminals that plague our society everyday, looking for an opportunity to feast off of hard working citizens is wrong. I hope Caleman learns from his mistake and continues to be a productive Texan and citizen and I will continue to support his efforts for help and pray for his family! :soapbox:

CaptainPatriot said:
So will he be set as an example for the NFL or will he get a usual slap on the Wrist?

Coleman will get whatever the State of Texas has decided is appropriate for a 1st time offense. Beyond that I see no reason why fans call for the Texans or NFL to go after players like Coleman when I see no outcry for CEO's, VP's, actors, singers, etc. to get suspended from work, stock options reduced, concerts cancelled, record or film release delayed, etc.

Marcus should confine his drinking to his home.........
or else move to Nashville. :crazy: Nah.........Just a bad joke.

Seems like the Houston judicial system and the citizens of Houston take this type of behavior very seriously..as we all should.
I am confident that the team will do what is right and that Marcus will learn from this experience. :soapbox:

Now....lets play some football.

Here is the sentence. You be the judge. In California my partner in the gold country had a similar thing happen to him and he had to serve two days by going in at 8:00 in the morning and getting out at 6:00 each day. For my partner it was the fines and the cost of insurance that were devisting plus all of the classes he had to attend. The fines in Coleman's case simply don't mean much because of what he earns.

the league needs to stay out of this,if i get busted for drunk driving the company i work for isnt going to do anything, why should it be different for pro athletes

Ditto

I know people right now that are driving around with a beer in hand and seven DWI's on thier belt. He should get probation, Dwi class, AA meetings
by the standards of 1st time offender. This should all be over and done with. THe league or team should do nothing, thats like double jepardy.

I heard on the 610 a few minutes ago that Coleman preferred jail time to probation. The judge gave him a stern lecture citing the accident happened in front of a funeral home and the dangers of driving under the influence, then sentenced him to 3 days jail time. Coleman's attorney hasn't decided whether to appeal.

I can see Coleman's point about probation. Even though Coleman probably wouldn't be in such a situation again, and have probably learned a very valuable lesson, a year or two of probation requirements to fulfill sounds less preferableif than serving the time and putting the episode behind him. Also, if he isn't an alcoholic I don't think he should have to attend year of AA classes. However, if the sentence was a longer period of time and if he is a problem drinker, then, of course the consequences should be more severe.

My guess is that Coleman is thankful that no one was injured during the reckless episode, he's probably embarrassed that his behavior and the result was on National TV for all to see as well as well as any NFL or team fines.

I don't think we will see a suspension for Coleman by the NFL. Kenny Mixon the DE for the Vikings recieved a 2 game suspension by the NFL for his conviction on DWI, but it was his 3rd offense in less than 2 years.

Mixon Suspended

How is it a man convicted of a crime has the option of Jail time or Community Service. He prefers Jail Time! Why does the Judge only give him 3 DAYS in JAIL not the MAX (6 months)! Does the Judge have Season Tickets or something? Something is not right here! :hmmm: Just went to click2houston please read this:

"In addition to the jail time and fine, Coleman's driver's license was suspended for one year. He will be allowed to drive to work in a car outfitted with a Breathalyzer device that requires him to breathe into it to start the vehicle"

What the HELL is that! Why take away your License? If you can still drive! Suppose to be taking a Bus or a Cab!
Defeats the Purpose of your Punishment! You are supposed to be learning a Lesson here. I guess our tax dollars are paying to have a Breathalyzer device put into a Multi Millionaire's Car! I don’t see it do you? idonno:

CaptainPatriot said:
How is it a man convicted of a crime has the option of Jail time or Community Service. He prefers Jail Time! Why does the Judge only give him 3 DAYS in JAIL not the MAX (6 months)! Does the Judge have Season Tickets or something? Something is not right here! :hmmm: Just went to click2houston please read this:

"In addition to the jail time and fine, Coleman's driver's license was suspended for one year. He will be allowed to drive to work in a car outfitted with a Breathalyzer device that requires him to breathe into it to start the vehicle"

What the HELL is that! Why take away your License? If you can still drive! Suppose to be taking a Bus or a Cab!
Defeats the Purpose of your Punishment! You are supposed to be learning a Lesson here. I guess our tax dollars are paying to have a Breathalyzer device put into a Multi Millionaire's Car! I don’t see it do you? idonno:

I have no desire to retry Mr. Coleman. Based on the information presented I believe the judge was fair in his sentence. Try to think of the outcome in the same fairness if a Patriot was in the same circumstances.

flawedout said:
the league needs to stay out of this,if i get busted for drunk driving the company i work for isnt going to do anything, why should it be different for pro athletes

I would be fired....w/o a doubt

Was it his first offense? Does this mean that all DWI incidents result in jail time for the first offense in Texas?

Boxscore said:
Was it his first offense? Does this mean that all DWI incidents result in jail time for the first offense in Texas?

I believe it was a first offense, however, Coleman asked for the jail time instead of probation.

LMBH said:
I have no desire to retry Mr. Coleman. Based on the information presented I believe the judge was fair in his sentence. Try to think of the outcome in the same fairness if a Patriot was in the same circumstances.
I would feel the same even if it was Tom Brady!

Does it look like Coleman is not showing any remorse? He doesn't think he has done anything wrong :confused:

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/3577385/detail.html

1.Why is he smiling coming out of Court?
2.He didn't take the Breath test at the scene
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back in May, an officer responded to a traffic hazard and found Coleman's vehicle damaged and partially on a curb within a lane of traffic. He was offered a breath test after a DWI task unit was called to the scene, but refused.

At the trial, a police video showed Coleman stumble when asked to walk a straight line and he lost his balance when asked to stand on one leg.

Coleman claimed at the trial that he wasn't intoxicated, blaming the crash on a distraction while adjusting the car radio.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
He claims he wasn't intoxicated why not take the Breath Test?
3.He refused Community Service for jail time
Rather sit in jail then help inner city youth.
4. Never apologize to the judge for his actions! After being found guilty!
If this is a so-called mistake shouldn't you be man about it and admit it not deny it? People on here show more remorse than he does!
Coleman is not acting like it is a mistake!

By the way remember this:

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/2641246/detail.html

Wonder what he did? He is a season veteran not a rookie. Looks like he is not dedicated on being a TEXAN! Tell you what if Jammal Lord does well in camp.Don't be surprised for the Texans to move him! Texans are a top notch Organization. They want Model Citizens not just Football Players! Aaron Glenn now that is a Model Citizen and Consummate Player!

He got in a fender bender while drinking and driving. Why crucify the guy? Makes zero sense to me. I have made mistakes in my past and I can smile today, why can't Marcus?

I think it is silly to dog a man who is standing up and taking his punishment. He isn't whining about it. He is just dealing with it. Get over it.

To me the picture of Coleman smiling looked grainy and was from a possibly TV interview. So you don't know when it was taken or what circumstances(as in a question asked of him).. I am sure he didn't come out of the courtroom high fiving and leading the wave in their either..

As far as taking 3 days in jail over community service..none of us know why he did that. I don't know.. I wasn't there.. I don't know how that works, it could be possible that taken 6 months of community service would have interfered with the work schedule who knows..

Although I am pretty harsh on guys like this, In this case I think it's enough by having it thrown into the spotlight, being embarrassed while it's thrown onto every media outlet, spending 3 days in jail, and having your license suspended for a year. Imagine. "Welcome to the 5:00 news, this just in, Vinny (of course they would use your full real name) from the Houston Texans message boards has been arrested tonight and charged with public intoxication while raming his Yugo into a PortaPotty on the side of a road."

How would you feel?

As far as taking 3 days in jail over community service..none of us know why he did that. I don't know.. I wasn't there.. I don't know how that works, it could be possible that taken 6 months of community service would have interfered with the work schedule who knows..

His lawyer said he requested jail time so that he could be done with this quickly and put it behind him.

with doing the jail time it gets all his punishment behind him so he can focus on work...smart and selfless thing if you ask me...put yourself in jail so you don't hold back your teammates

__V__ said:
He got in a fender bender while drinking and driving. Why crucify the guy? Makes zero sense to me. I have made mistakes in my past and I can smile today, why can't Marcus?

I think it is silly to dog a man who is standing up and taking his punishment. He isn't whining about it. He is just dealing with it. Get over it.

Maybe because he could have killed someone. IE. Leonard Little.

It is a first offense. Lets hope he learns from this mistake and lives his life with a little more responsibility.

Also lets be glad he is being a man about it and doing jail time so he can focus on football this season. Not picking up trash on the weekends.

crucify him...are you joking...come on guys we went through this when this thing happened...it's like you guys hold everyone so high that you forget people are human...especially yourselves...people make mistakes...people learn from them...be a grone up about it and stop throwing it back into their face...but hey if you wanna look down at someone who had too much to drink and drove home hit a tree not a person and is being a man about it and taking the jail time...then fine...but this should be a dead issue...look around the league there are several players being arrested for dui and very few getting punished for it...steve mcnair was cleared of it but he was just as guilty as coleman...the reason...he's the QB and not some DB...anyways...this is a touchy issue for a lot of people i just find it funny that people get so bent out of shape over it

DC_ROCK said:
Maybe because he could have killed someone. IE. Leonard Little.

well this is marcus coleman and he didnt kill anyone. so let that be that. it disturbs me when people live their life "what if..." well what if the earth could swallowed you whole...would you go outside again? but im glad he is serving jailtime instead of probation. get this put behind him and move on to bigger and better things. LETS START FOOTBALL ALREADY! :jam:

ccdude730 said:
well this is marcus coleman and he didnt kill anyone. so let that be that. it disturbs me when people live their life "what if..." well what if the earth could swallowed you whole...would you go outside again? but im glad he is serving jailtime instead of probation. get this put behind him and move on to bigger and better things. LETS START FOOTBALL ALREADY! :jam:

I agree, I dont like to live with "what if" people. But sometimes you have to say what if. Like with Drinking and Driving. This is a serious thing. People die all the time from this.

But I agree, I like him doing jail, not probation. Lets move on :)

Back