Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Coleman at FS

It is almost as though by pointing out a valid concern folks see me as disloyal.

Dominator--IMO most of the folks on this MB, particularly some of those you have encountered in this thread such as aj, theOgre and J-Man, are more than willing to discuss concerns and often raise non-rose colored glasses points themselves. JMO but your concern about the position switch got largely lost because your dogged position on Coleman's size marred the perceived validity of your post.

DominatorDavis said:
Here is a thought: How many innumerable examples in NFL history are there where a player in the secondary has changed positions and it NOT work out? We can mention with myopia all day long the examples of players who it has worked for. Can someone do some research and find that out? That would be great.
Here's another thought: Since you are questioning whether Coleman can make the transition from corner to safety, maybe you should "do some research" regarding the past failures of players making similar position changes. Isn't it your responsibility to uphold your side of a debate? That would be even greater.

Speaking of undersized, out-of-position types making the transition from corner to FS, the Pats' Eugene Wilson did a pretty good job last season as a rookie.

on the bright side. If coleman doesn't work out... McCree is still here also If Coleman doesn't work out.. He is still an upgrade over Stevens (did I say that outloud? ). If Daunte struggles, well we can shift Coleman back to CB.. It is great that we finally have some options on this team.

I hope Coleman can do it. I could be wrong,but I figure it is alot easier to switch from CB to FS then vice versa.

From someone who has a pretty good idea what he is talking about--Aaron Glenn:

“Marcus is a no-brainer,” teammate Aaron Glenn said about Coleman’s success in a new position. “That guy is probably one of the better athletes in this league and for him to accept the role of leaving cornerback and moving to free safety, a lot of guys can’t do that.

“He accepted it and he’s out there making plays and he’s getting out to the middle of the field better than any safety I’ve seen in a while so I think he’s going to do a good job for us at the safety position.”

"WHAT MATTERS IS THAT HE PRODUCES."

Not Colemans size, or speed, or abilities, but the transition to another position.

Coleman is undersized and is playing out of position, we have a talented yet rookie corner who will be tested early and often, and a banged up veteran for the other corner who is only very very good when healthy.

Should've posted....

-Coleman is playing out of position, we have a talented yet rookie corner who will be tested early and often, and a banged up veteran for the other corner who is only very very good when healthy.

Good piece with a few Texans mentioned and Babins salary at the bottom of the page. Seems that word around the league is that Marcus Robinson is converting to Safety with ease.

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

If the suggestions are really legitimate that Marcus Coleman has made the transition from cornerback to free safety with incredible adroitness this spring -- and even the veteran defensive back acknowledges that the reports skew the reality -- the Houston Texans will have taken a major step toward shoring up their secondary.

But position switches in the NFL can be dicey propositions, even for an eight-year pro like Coleman, so one can only imagine the pressure on the seven or eight rookies who are being asked to change stripes in their maiden season in the league. The daunting task has been likened to learning a foreign tongue in record time, much faster even than they teach language classes at Berlitz schools, but even that analogy might understate the difficulty.

Ibar_Harry said:
Marcus Robinson must be a cross between Duante Robinson and Marcus Coleman.
Our new combo player? I guess I had ex-Oiler Marcus Robertson on the brain when typing about FS's.

with all this talk of coleman being the "quarterback" of the secondary, i'd be curious to find out what his wic score was...

Back