Cold Pizza

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by amazingandre, Feb 12, 2007.

1. amazingandre

amazingandre All Pro

They will talk about Car and Plummer I will report anything they say.Hopefully it will be fact not opinion.

2. amazingandre

amazingandre All Pro

not much says Houston WANTS to get rid of Carr, and they want Plummer, but he has to want to come here if the trade were to happen. Denver and Houston both can afford it and they wont get rid of Carr unless they have someone to replace him. but if they dont get Plummer they still want to get rid of Carr. So in short he is up for trade and the teams are talking now.....thats what i got out of it.......what do you think will be involoved with a trade like this, i dont think the just give Plummer for nothin, i think they want something of value....

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I don't get it.
    Plummer knows he needs Kubiak.
    Denver cannot afford/would be stupid to keep Plummer on their roster

Why are we offering them anything for him? Why not just wait until he's cut?

4. amazingandre

amazingandre All Pro

what if they pull a detroit on him and not cut him....then what....plummer is stuck and we have carr(which im not opposed to)

5. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

I think they're just basing this on McClains article, which is speculation also.

6. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

The problem is Denver already has a replacement for Plummer, we don't have a replacement for Carr or at least not a proven one. I like Rosenfels, but he is time tested yet.

Also, Since Denver doesn't need Carr; he's not trade bait to them. Carr would be just another high salary.

Keeping Carr for another year has really screwed things up.

If I were GM, I'd keep Carr for now. Let him play the preseason in a backup roll and dominated against second-string player in the second half of games. Then when a major QB goes down next year, then offer Carr as trade bait. Granted I have no idea what the cap implications are in this scenario.

Either way, we are going to still have QB problems next year unless Sage, a rookie, or another unknown FA steps up.

Anyway, here's :twocents:

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I agree that with Carr or without Carr we have QB questions .

The thing is if you go with another QB you answer questions about the rest of your team .

8. yourfavoritetexan42

yourfavoritetexan42 Veteran

we shouldn't trade for plummer, and we should keep carr. If plummer gets cut, bring him in, and cut one right before the season, have them battle it out.

9. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Salary Cap.

Plummer's not going to play for peanuts.

10. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

If Plummer is traded his $7+ million salary goes with him. If he is cut you can negoitate a new salary before signing him. Shanahan has said they will get something for Plummer and can't imagine letting him go for nothing. Shanahan also said keeping Plummer is not out of the question and wouldn't be bad thing to do so.

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

On the contrary. It appears it'd be in the Broncos best interest to keep Plummer. They're in the same boat we are with Carr. IMO, a little worse off. Here are a few snippets from an article a while back.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5303726,00.html

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I don't see how you read that. Unless the Broncos get a very good draft pick in return, it's in the Broncos best interest to cut Plummer and take the cap hit over 2 seasons. I can't see the Broncos (or the Texans) paying over $5 million in salary to a backup QB.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

True, but if he were to stay on as a back up, it'd give the Broncos some sort of payback for the guaranteed money. Either way you look at it, whether it be the Texans or Broncos, they're going to take a substantial hit. Whether it be cap space or draft picks.

Would you rather pay the 5 million to a back up? Or to a player no longer on the roster? In order to compensate for that amount of money being paid to the player, a team that wanted the player would have to give up way too much.

I do not know a whole lot about salary cap issues. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. At least fill me in on why I'm wrong.:)

14. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

denver and us both are in a bad position with our qb's. only its their expensive back up and our expensive starter.

don't forget that if they stay...its not just the guaranteed money they get but also their salary..which is 5 or 6 million per year.

in our case David will be paid 5mil. salary + 2 mill bonus in 2007 and then like 6mil salary and 2 mil. bonus in 2008. if we cut/trade him don't we just pay 4mill. in 2007 or 2mil in 07 and 2mil in 08??

so yes we still pay 4 million dollars for say a 3rd rd draft pick + that players salary. but we dont pay the 11million dollar salary to carr over two years. am i making sense or looking at it correctly?

either way we're spending a lot of money.

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

As stated in the article you cited, the Broncos can realize $5.7 million in cap relief this year by releasing Plummer. That's a very good FA pickup. Wouldn't the cap room be better served in that manner, as opposed to a grouchy, complaining, veteran backup QB who doesn't want to be there? How could that be good for Cutler?

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I suppose that'd be a better scenerio for the team. The organization will still have to eat that $5.7 next year. Oh well, it happens every year so I guess it doesn't hurt teams as much as it looks. Having said that, the Texans need to cut bait(Carr) and run.:bubble:

17. GP

GP Go Texans!

I think Plummer will be a Chicago Bear before it's all said and done.

He has that Jim MacMahon "look" about him, has played in cold weather, and is an upgrade over Grossman. Grossman will likely not even be playing anywhere next year after his bad season and atrocious Super Bowl outing.

I just think we'll still have David Carr next year, and Kubiak will look to deal him mid-season while also developing drafted QB and/or looking for mid-season acquisitions as he tries to trade David.

I'd say at least 85% chance DC is our QB going into camp.

I don't think the Plummer deal goes through. I think other teams will outbid us for Jake, just as they did for David Givens.

IMO, this is just a fishing expedition by our FO to try and see if other teams will come to the front and try to get Carr.

Honestly, do you WANT Jake as our QB next season? It's reported that he has this burning desire to play and to be competitive and blah-blah-blah...but I see a guy on the decline. I see a beer drinking party animal that has the personality of a fence post. THAT'S the guy that's better than DC? Jake reminds me of those QBs from the late 1970s who had shaggy facial hair, lumbered around on the field with one hip pad hanging out of his pants...the speed of a one-legged jaguar...and that far away look in his eyes that says "Where's the big party after the game?" There's a reason he got out-gunned by a rookie QB: His days are done and over with, IMO. Do we need to trade DC and get a guy who could care less about us? Does he project ANY image whatsoever that he's the future of an NFL team?

(Sigh)

God, please let this cup pass from us....

...Let us crush The Snake under our feet.

18. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

what;s the solution, then? a 37 year old garcia, a pocket passer in huard? you willing to wait for a possible 2007 draftee to blossom?

19. amazingandre

amazingandre All Pro

so we pick plummer. then what in 2 years he retires. its a no win situation u repair the team for a year or 2 then we suck again.....we need to keep carr let the oline improve and get a rookie qb so kubiack can teach him. kubs supposedly is the master of it so let him show us all.

20. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

The easiest thing would have been not to extend Carr's contract. He still had years left, so why do it when he wasn't proven?