Coach Joe says Tricycle Holliday still in mix for KR spot

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ObsiWan, May 17, 2012.

1. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

LINK
    Looks like the tiny one will get one last chance to make it here.
    :cool:

2. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Why not? He is under contract still. He has game changing speed. If he does not produce, then cut him. But give him OTAs and TC to prove if he can play or not.

3. GP

GP Go Texans!

Year 3 of this project.

This is what I mean when I say "If you just find a way to stick on the PS or roster...Gary will give you roughly 3 or even 4 years to hang around and develop."

I understand it's not costing the team much of anything to keep him around, but does anybody really think he's going to suddenly catch fire and make noise I'm his third year?

I'd like to see guys like him get 2 years max. After that, clear out the clutter and sign new guys to have their 2-year chance at making the team. I guess the only thing, though, is how that would affect cap space.

4. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Some times guys take a while to develop. I'm not too worried about trying to develop a couple of guys here and there on the PS (like Nading , Jamison, and Bulman, etc.) and giving them multiple chances to make the team. It's not like we've got a platoon of guys who've been on the PS for 4 years at the expense of no newer, younger PS guys.

Most guys only last a year or two before they're gone: Zabransky, Brink, Dickerson, Abbate, etc. You're only noticing Holliday because he's been around awhile and most guys don't last that long.

5. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

No way this guy makes the team this year with all the new wrs the Texans added in the draft. Keyshawn Martin alone will end Holiday's career here. I never saw much of anything from this guy. As much as I grew to dislike Jacoby after each passing year he still was better than this guy.

6. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

How do you know that? He never got a chance on the field.

7. Rey

Rey Guest

His first year he was hurt and went on ir.

Last year he played limited snaps in pre season, but I believe he had one catch in a two minute drill situation. Last year was his first real football year. He spent time on the practice squad, was called up for a game or two, didn't get the chance to field any kicks and was sent back down.

I want the best team possible. Trindon has something that nobody else on the team has and maybe not many people in the league....world class speed. And he's not just a track guy. He is a football player and he loves the game.

If trindon gets the opportunity and provides us with big play capability then great. If he doesnt, we cut him and move on. No biggie. (no pun intended)

8. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

He "fielded" kicks but they were touchbacks and fair catches. He was back there for some kick returns and some punt returns against the Titans.

But then someone was hurt and we needed to his spot and cut him.

At this point, he's kind of a luxury we haven't been able to afford.

EDIT: "Some" might have been too strong a term. I saw him out there for at least 1 each in the first Titans game.

9. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

He was waste of capspace, cut the cord already.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

we have luxury to carry a LS to do just one thing and I'd argur returns is pretty dang significant.

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

If he can play up to his potential, it will have been worth the wait. I don't see it happening though.

12. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    And you've got a suggestion for a better, cheaper 6th WR/backup kick returner?

My thing with Holliday is find a way to maximize his abilities rather than peg him into a hole he may struggle in. Such as receiving. If he can't catch, hand him the ball. Don't tell me a DL or LBer is going to beat him to the edge on a stretch play. I'm not saying he didn't need practice squad time, I'm saying play to his strengths.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  13. SCOTTexans

SCOTTexans All Pro

May the best man win. He is cheap competition for Martin and has potential

14. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't view him as a luxury. Either he's helping the team with big kick returns or he's not. If he's not, he's not making the team, period.

We're not keeping him for his wr skills. He has to provide tremendous value as a return man and if he does that I think we'll find a way to keep him.

Trindon hasn't been kept around these few years in hopes that he'll develop into some dynamic receiver. Sure he needs to provide some value there but I don't view him as a luxury. I view him as any other player. Youre either good enough at what you do in order to justify a roster spit or not.

In his case I believe he'll have to be the primary punt and kick returnee and do both very well.

15. Rey

Rey Guest

A lb can get to the edge first easily. Technique and angles will help with that. It helps to have speed when talking about getting to the sidelines, but speed isn't the only factor and lots of fast guys struggle to get to the edges.

All that said, if trindon isn't providing value on returns he's not making it for his offensive capabilities.

16. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I think Martin was brought in primarily as a KR/PR that has some good WR skills, and since they cut Jacoby, I think it will be his job to lose. This will make it tough for Holliday to make the team IMO.

17. GP

GP Go Texans!

Maehl.

He's actually a WR whereas Holliday is not.

18. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    True. You have to be playing disciplined angles to keep Holliday's kind of speed in check though, especially if he's coming out of the backfield where you probably can't see him after the snap.

Holliday is a bubble player. He probably isn't going to make the final cut unless he does something special. I think fans fell in love with him coming out of college, getting drafted for being crazy fast and were a little too disappointed when he didn't make much noise. They could do a LOT worse for a 6th or 7th best WR who probably makes the P squad again.

Jeff Maehl is a bubble player too. We're really talkin Psquad receivers? LOL....good night y'all.

19. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I think the LS spot is a specialty position like the punter. Both are on the squad to do their one, single thing and do it flawlessly. Unless Holliday is a major threat to break a long one whenever the touches the ball - and Coach Joe kinda hinted he is - then he has a spot; otherwise has to contribute in some other fashion like WR or change-of-pace RB.

Hands from everyone who shutters at the thought of Holliday at RB and needing to pick up a blitzing LB....

[Schaub raises hand]
    [Yates raises hand]
    [Kubiak turns away... not wanting to look] :D

20. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Guess you haven't been hearing all the hooplah about LeStar Jean recently. It's the offseason at its finest.