Coach Gary Kubiak: 'do-or-die year' for Houston Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/foot...aycomSports-TopStories+(Sports+-+Top+Stories)

2. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

better not be die.

3. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yeah, if you didn't have Chris Brown you probably make the playoffs, Gary Kubiak. And if you had cut Kris Brown and brought in a real kicker, you probably make the playoffs, Gary Kubiak. And if you had not called a halfback pass against the Jaguars, you're probably in the playoffs, Gary Kubiak.

He really should just shut up about this stuff. Honestly, he should.

Having said that, I will worship the ground he stands on if he pulls it off.

4. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

Wolf likes this.
  5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I would bet he wouldn't bring it up, if they wouldn't.

6. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

If the Texans don't do, Kubiak "dies" but the Texans will move on.

That analogy has only come to haunt us from when Bum uttered those words. I could live with a different way of putting it.

7. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

So what happens to Gary if they go 10-6 and miss the playoffs?

8. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Beats me. If they lose due to letting the two minute warning stopping play so the other team can throw a red flag (one of a few examples) he might be in trouble.

On the other hand a team with Houston's schedule can go 10-6 despite a fine job turned in by Kubiak and his staff. That's certainly up for debate but this is my opinion.

I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out. Obviously I hope Kubes is safe and Houston still has some historic football left to watch come January.

:smiliedance:

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I was pretty much agreeing with what you said, but that last comment was uncalled for. Bash the post, not the poster.

10. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

:clap:

I gotta rep that.

11. GP

GP Go Texans!

Don't worry about the redneck barb you threw my way. I have taken plenty flack and have dished plenty of it out. You were just throwing some whipping cream and a cherry on top of your reply to my post.

I don't normally like to second-guess everything the coach does. But I was the guy who thought everyone but David Carr was wrong with the Capers-era Texans. Oops. It was a coach problem AND a player problem. Early on, I thought Kubiak could do no wrong. Then I began to see roster moves (such as Ahman Green) that made me cringe immediately. I could go on, but the point is that we've all arrived at a point where no single person should escape the microscope. Especially the guy who has control of the roster.

Thankfully, he has seen to it that one Brown is for sure not coming back, the other Brown is being challenged, and Jacoby Jones is being given a shot at being a true every-down WR in his system (which I pointed out last season he was being slighted and held back for reasons I felt was bizarre when compared to choke artists like Brown & Brown and how they continued to chug right along for so long).

Lastly, remember that I said I am open to once again worshipping Kubiak if he indeed pulls everything out of his hat this year. As a fan, I see the value in being able to be pissed one second and rejoicing the next. No true fan has ever given his full 100% blessing on everything the team does or doesn't do.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I believe eriadoc is the poster you are referring to.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't know that I can agree with any of this. To say Brown didn't belong on the roster at all... I will agree he never should have been elevated to the spot he was (starter, primary back) but that's a different story.

Brown wasn't supposed to get more than 10 (or so) carries a game, if that much.

Then you extrapolate Coffee's stats out of nowhere...

I understand your frustration, but you're using more hindsight in this response than you're letting on.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Again, I've got to disagree with you here. 1st & Goal from the five is exactly the situation I would try this play. It's a throwaway down.

I've got 3 more downs if this doesn't work.

They are going to be thinking I'm running the ball. I've got my "big" back in.

It worked perfectly until Brown threw the ball. If he would have ate it, I'm still five yards or so from the endzone, and I've got 3 more downs to put points on the board.

If he throws it away, I lose nothing but a down.

Why Chris Brown felt he had to force the ball in that situation, I don't know.

If we are going to blame Kubiak for this game, I think we should blame him for this defense giving up 31 points to a team that averaged 18 all season long.

Yeah, new defense and everything, but if you've got the game on tape, watch it again. We're still experimenting with formations to start this game. It's like he feels we know this team well enough that we can spot them a few points, and still win.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

It's not that I think Kubiak is beyond reproach. He's goofed up several times... so has many other coaches. It's part of the game.

In this situation, he hasn't done anything differently than any other coach has done.

Bellichick had to rely on Fred Taylor for a few games. Rex Ryan signed Ladanian Tomlinson, Lary Johnson got a job in Cincinnati and he's in Washington now, who will continue to lean on Clinton Portis.

Coaches just like Veterans in the backfield...

16. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Coaches like veterans in the backfield because they should know how to block. In today's NFL a RB needs to be a solid blocker. With all the crazy blitzes the defenses use the OL is often overrun and the RB is the guy that has to keep the QB from getting killed.

And Chris Brown was the best blocking RB we had last season. I saw Schaub get on Slaton more than a few times for his missed blocks last season. That was why they used Brown.

It took Foster most of the season get his head around the passing game in the NFL. The running game the Texans used last season only had 8 plays. So the RB can get that pretty quick, it's the passing game that makes the playbook so big.

17. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Ahh...memories of "G-- D--- It Donald" jump to mind.

LINK

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Glad you realize your faults.

I'm not going to get into all of Kubes faults.

I will point out that the playoffs are just an unrealized dream under the Smithiak regime.

19. Blake

Blake MMQB

Do or die for Houston Texans? Or do or die for Gary Kubiak.

The boys are playing for his job here.

20. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

At least we get to see the 1st string and what they can do this Saturday. Even if it's only for a series or two. Can't wait.

And yeah, it's do or die time. But then that's pretty much the case for every team every year, so big deal. For me personally, it's most certainly do or die for Kubes this year. We should have been in the play offs last year.