CNNSI.com: Texans Desperate for Success

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by the wonger need food, Aug 1, 2007.

1. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/tim_layden/08/01/texans.postcard/index.html

He had me until his typical "sports journalist" ignorance overcame any sense of reason...

"The fact is, Williams will get a little less attention this year, but in the end he will always be the Sam Bowie of the 2006 NFL Draft, the guy taken ahead of Reggie Bush."

And this should be news to us...

"Unrestricted free agent Andre Davis has been injured."

2. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I guess we'll be reading/hearing this kind of crap until Mario proves them wrong. What gets me is the way they make it sound like it's a "fact" and it "will always be." What if Reggie tore his knee up and never played again, and Mario went on to average 12 sacks and 70 tackles per year for 10 years, would that still make Mario the "Sam Bowie" of football? I guess the point is it's too early to tell about Mario, Reggie, or Vince. I just wish they would stop saying things are facts when, in fact, they are not! But, I guess they feel that wouldn't sell magazines. JMHO! :gotexans1

3. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

reggie bush rookie 565 rush yards with a 3.6 ave 6td's
    88 catches for 742 yards 8.4 ypc ave 2td's

michael jordan rookie 28.2 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 5.9 apg, over 2 spg.

not only is mario not sam bowie but i dont see much of a resemblance between mj and rb.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  4. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Mario just needs to perform to shut people up.

5. maddogmrb

maddogmrb All Pro

The bad news on this post is Andre Davis getting injured and he was looking good.....:(

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I actually saw a little objectivety about Bush's rookie year, putting it into
    proper perspective and all, on ESPN today. On Jim Romes show his guest was
    another 2006 NFL rookie back, Maurice Drew-Jones, and Rome asked Maurice if he resented Bush getting more hype than him even though he had a better year than Bush did. In other words, Bushs first year in the league was good but not one for the ages. Others had good years and some better and its a little soon to be putting players in the HOF or writing off the careers of others.

7. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

He had ME until he stated this:

If nothing else, ESPN deliberately avoided Mario Williams' every play. And like everyone who knows anything about the NBA has pointed out: there was another man taken ahead of both Bowie and Jordan in that same draft with the #1 overall pick by Houston...and it turned out pretty dang well for them. So if nothing else, Reggie Bush has been the Sam Bowie to Vince Young's Michael Jordan...

8. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Wali Lundy rookie 476 rushing yards with a 3.8 ave and 4 TDs
    204 yds receiving (33 catches) for 6.2 ypc average and 0 TDs

And we got Mario Williams.

9. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

Mario does not deserve any credit for his first year of NFL play - he has proved nothing yet. Forget Bush, all Mario has to do is play aggressive this year and earn his keep. If he does that, everyone will give him his props regardless of what Bush does. The ball is in his court and I think he is capable of having a great year.

10. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Two things always bother me about that statement.

(1) At the time of the Hakeem, Bowie, Jordan draft, EVERY talking head in the country was saying that Bowie was the right pick for Portland since they had just drafted Clyde Drexler the previous year. But somehow the talking heads conveniently "forget" that they, themselves had all said that picking Bowie was the thing to do since Portland needed a big man and we had snapped up Hakeem. But what should I expect from the same A-holes that thought Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning were both "can't miss picks". They don't seem to remember that prediction either.

(2) Who the hell knows what kind of career Jordan would have had out in Portland without Scotty, Worm, Caldwell, and the Zen Master. People seem to forget that Jordan didn't win crap until he got the right cast around him.

...not to mention that he had to wait until Magic, Bird, then Isiah Thomas all got too old to keep him down.

sorry, off my anti-Jordan soapbox now...

11. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I'm going to ignore Layden's Mario Williams/Sam Bowie comparison because we're going to hear it every year unless Mario proves his doubters wrong. Here's what I liked about the piece though:

I hope he's right about Ahman Green. I've heard that he takes remarkable care of his body so I wouldn't be surprised at all. If he does return to the Ahman Green of old, I think we're going to be very happy fans.

And I love that DeMeco Ryans stays at the hotel close to the stadium. As a veteran he doesn't have to, but he does anyway. Soon, perhaps very, very soon, Ryans is going to be a household name in the NFL. In a year or two, I think writers and fans aren't going to think of Mario Williams and how they should have chosen Reggie Bush or Vince Young when the topic of the Texans comes up. Instead I think they'll think of DeMeco Ryans and what a beast he is.

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

DeMeco Ryans = Michael Jordan :thumbup

Which means that there are 32 "Sam Bowie" players in the 2006 draft. :heh:

13. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

I wanted us to take Mario before draft day. Maybe I got caught up in the combine hype, maybe it was the numbers, but mostly I wanted a presence on defense. I wanted us to lose (er win) the Bush bowl because I wanted Bush. But once we got Kubes I wanted absolutely no part of Bush. I didn't really think VY was a possibility because we had just re upped for Carr. I wanted either Mario or Furgeson.

The reason I didn't want Bush is simple. He doesn't fit the system. You are wasting your money on Bush in this system. The thing that sets Bush apart from other RB's is his ability to juke and cut which would be nullified in this one cut and hit the hole system. You don't want a dancer in this system. Also, look what Kubes was getting out of Dayne by the end of the year. With an offensive guru like Kubes, especially what he's done in the past with no name backs, I wanted us to spend that pick on something to shore up a weakness we might have elsewhere. Once we get the system down and once we get the line straight, we'll get our 1200-1700 yards from the ground game. That's not my concern. My concern with an offensive minded coach is getting someone who can both stop the run and apply pressure to the QB. I think we got our guy in Mario.

It will take him time. Last year it was unfortunate that just as he was hitting his stride he started suffering from plantar faciatus or however you spell it. Even with that said, teams ran away from him most of the year. I know that because I went back and watched almost every defensive play last year 2 - 3 times. He might never put up the gaudy numbers we expect. He may never lead the league in sacks. But coupled with Ryans and Okoye, he gives you an end people don't want to run at and someone who will have to be accounted for every down.

If you want a solution at RB, I'd look at Michael Turner. That guy will be a stud. He'll be a UFA next year and we're going to have a ton of money to be throwing around. He's a big, one cut kinda guy who's fast as hell in the open field (they don't call him Michael the burner Turner for nothing). Additionally he's been running behind one of the best all purpose backs I've ever seen in LT.

The MJ to Bowie comparison's don't hold water. Basketball is an 8-9 man sport and everyone plays both ways. I know its obvious but football is a 30-40 man sport. That pretty much nullifies any comparison between the two.

Mike

Double Barrel likes this.
  14. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

finally someone with some sense. I think the nfl network and espn wanted bush to do well because he was their chosen one. They showed the preseason reverse against the titans over and over. Had the texans picked bush and had he been asked to do the things kubes asks a back to do, people would be screaming about his misuse. Whats wrong with asking aa running back to be well a running back? I think mario was on his way and like u said they always ran away from him. This season will b different. Speaking of bush, lundy,drew,maroney,williams,addai, and norwood had a higher ypc than bush. Not only that, his longest run was 12 yards

15. TEXANSTAILGATER

TEXANSTAILGATER Veteran

I saw Kubes talking about Bill Walsh. He reminded the reporter that SF had a solid defense from Walsh using high picks on D players. Then they ran a scheme offense and didn't do too badly overall.

16. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

Anyone remember that the "great" coach Jimmy Johnson was so high on Troy Aikman that he drafted another QB in the first round the year after Aikman was drafted.

I think that is right. It was a long time ago.

17. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

With 40 minutes left in practice, offensive and defensive linemen paired off for a one-on-one pass-rushing/pass-blocking drill. They were wearing no pads, yet battled each other in crisp collisions. At one point, 10-year veteran guard Steve McKinney was tied up with 15-year veteran Jeff Zgonina (acquired via free agency), their bodies smacking together painfully, when Zgonina yelped, "You f-----!'' :heh:McKinney immediately pulled back and said, "Sorry, I thought you were wearing pads.''

:thumbup:

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

1989 Aikman
    1990 Emmitt
    1991 Maryland, Harper and Pritchett

Not sure what you are recalling. The Cowboys haven't drafted a 1st round QB since Aikman.

19. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Then they will act like Mario has ALWAYS been the right pick, there will even be guys saying "I TOLD YOU ALL ALONG this was the smart pick for the Texans."

These guys have a tendecy to change their minds and forget about things. It is obvious because each one of them has about 5 Superbowl picks before superbowl.

20. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

I think they used a 1st round pick in the supplemental draft on Steve Walsh in 1989.