Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Clayton on the Texans and Reeves on ESPN

Ibar_Harry said:
If you want to do that you better find the best O-line coach you can and get the line functioning. He is a great talent, but you have to have some holes for him to get into the secondary. I still don't think Bush is on OJ, a Peyton, a Sayers or an LT. He's good, but he has a ways to go to be at their level.
You know we may not be seeing the same replays on Bush. My observation sees the the next Gale Sayers-Barry Sanders in the flesh. They did not have superior Hole Punchers either but electrified fans everywhere. Too bad either played on good teams. Pass on him and watch the 49ers or some other loser of the moment become future powerhouse. DO WE WANT TO BE THE TAMPA BAY BUCANEERS WHO TRADED THEIR #1 TO THE HOUSTON OILERS THAT WAS EARL CAMPBELL . I like Dominic Davis but he is no Reggie Bush. Bush would have scored on the same plays that Davis was caught from behind. We Want Bush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, Bush has not declared his intentions for the draft, and it is not 100% that we'll have the pick. We will have to play San Fran, btw.

bckey said:
More than just you didn't like him four years ago. Besides, that is easy to say when you just joined last month.
Sorry I am new to the Internet scene but I still say Capers brownnosed into his position.

Double Barrel said:
FYI, Bush has not declared his intentions for the draft, and it is not 100% that we'll have the pick. We will have to play San Fran, btw.
Didn`t you see usc-ucla postgame interviews where his stepdad said he is ready for the next level. Bush in 2006 Texan or not. Get ready

Bayern said:
You know maybe its just me but I feel like none of us can truly evaluate talent on this team when every man on that roster has received the terrible coaching given to them. Hence the Steve Foley case.

I don't want any more "major fixes" until we see what we've REALLY got with effective coaching. That being said, its hard to not think best player available in this years draft, because I really don't know how good our current guys could be. JMO.

Coaching upgrades aside (which I agree are much needed), we are still going to use our draft picks somewhere.

abbest said:
Didn`t you see usc-ucla postgame interviews where his stepdad said he is ready for the next level. Bush in 2006 Texan or not. Get ready

yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. However, it would not surprise me to see him say a year longer like his buddy Leinart. USC is the #1, and with his return, could see another run at the title. I couldn't blame him either way.

gtexan02 said:
Just heard him talking. His take is that Reeves means that Cass and Capers are both gone. He thinks that Reeves is already looking at the defensive coordinator for San Diego (Wade Phillips), who is effective at the 3-4, and is the son of Bum Phillips (Oiler coach). He thinks that Reeves was hired because McNair likes Carr, and knwos that Reeves is good at building franchises around star quarterbacks (Elway).

If they are going to fire Capers, I think it would be great to bring in Wade Phillips due to the family history thing. I don't know if he'd succeed, but the same could be said for anybody who would replace Capers. At least it would be interesting to see if Wade could bring in that same magic Bum did.

I believe Capers was good in the beginning when we were an infant team
with a host of veterans, but I believe it time for some hard core discipline
and blue collar ball!!!!

tulexan said:
I really think that Kubiak is the man for the job. Apparently the only knock on him the first time was that he wasn't good with the media. I don't care if our coach is Mr. Smooth with the media I want the guy who is gonna get the job done.

Um, the guy has been turned down for head coaching jobs on three separate occasions. So add three "knocks" to your tally sheet.

BTW did anyone see Clayton mention that Mike Williams and Sam Adams might be released by the Bills this offseason? It's obvious that Williams is a bust in Buffalo, but I wonder if he's worth a look.

MorKnolle said:
I guess my last post got deleted and I admit I got carried away with it. That said, how did this thread turn into a draft Reggie thread anyways?

I had it turned for awhile. At least now there is some surprise if it turns into a draft bush OR Reeves as GM thread.

Grid said:
why dont we just break the bank and get Kubiak as Head Coach and Phillips as DC :).. grab us another qualified OC.. like the guy from Kansas City or Philly.. and make Reeves GM.. or someone else qualified.. and get ready for the superbowl trophies to come rollin in :)

Reeves, Phillips and, yes, Capers would be much, much better than Kubiak. Why in the blue blazes would you want to bring in a guy who has never been an NFL coach before and allow him to "cut his teeth" on our team? If they hired Kubiak, I might not renew my season tickets. He would be a disaster and would mean many more bad, bad seasons.

Bobo what is your reason for saying Kubiak would not be a good HC. The other teams that consistently go after him and he tells no are they worst teams than ours. Phillips is a good coach and Capers is done here. Kubiak is an offensive coach that has been mentored by Shanahan and taken his QBs to the next level. Kubiak and Phillips are hometown guys that would be great fits here in Texas. Kubiak brings SB rings and Phillips brings experience so why not go after them both if it is possible. I dont think we could go wrong with either.

Bobo said:
Um, the guy has been turned down for head coaching jobs on three separate occasions. So add three "knocks" to your tally sheet.

Name them.

I have read news articles that state that he has turned down three different head coaching positions and declined to interview for the New England Patriots job. The only job he's been turned down for was the Houston Texans. Kubiak removed his name from consideration for the Lions position, stating that he wanted to coach the Texans or remain in Denver. He turned down the HC position for the Univ. of Colorado. He declined to interview for the NE Pats job. He turned down the Saints job that Haslett ended up with.

Bobo said:
Reeves, Phillips and, yes, Capers would be much, much better than Kubiak. Why in the blue blazes would you want to bring in a guy who has never been an NFL coach before and allow him to "cut his teeth" on our team?

Just about every NFL head coach was a coordinator at one time, including your boy Capers.

Bobo said:
Reeves, Phillips and, yes, Capers would be much, much better than Kubiak. Why in the blue blazes would you want to bring in a guy who has never been an NFL coach before and allow him to "cut his teeth" on our team? If they hired Kubiak, I might not renew my season tickets. He would be a disaster and would mean many more bad, bad seasons.
Didn`t you know Kubiak is the Assistant Head Coach in Denver when they won two Super Bowls. He may be an ***** but no less than whats here

Did anyone ever think that it might be hard to get a real good coach because Dan Reeves is here now. I mean who would want to work under someone who could fire and replace you with himself whenever he wanted to.

I think Reeves is one of the most respected and stand-up guys in the business. If he is the GM and he brings in a coach it is likely Reeves is going to do everything in his power to make sure that coach has a long and successful tenure.

Coach C. said:
Bobo what is your reason for saying Kubiak would not be a good HC. The other teams that consistently go after him and he tells no are they worst teams than ours. Phillips is a good coach and Capers is done here. Kubiak is an offensive coach that has been mentored by Shanahan and taken his QBs to the next level. Kubiak and Phillips are hometown guys that would be great fits here in Texas. Kubiak brings SB rings and Phillips brings experience so why not go after them both if it is possible. I dont think we could go wrong with either.

A.) I wouldn't say that Capers is done here. McNair has yet to pull the trigger on him and could very well have by simply making Reeves the HC, but he didn't do that. Capers may very well survive. B.) Anybody could have made Elway look great. Kubiak has had some real stinkers of seasons himself and even with some good teams recently hasn't gotten them past the first round in the playoffs. C.) Those Super Bowl rings came a long time ago during the Elway era. D.) Kubiak has been turned away by three different teams and I don't want to see him "cut his teeth" with a team that I pay good money to see every week. Like I said, if he takes over, I may not renew my season tix. He is a disaster waiting to manifest himself. E.) If Capers must be replaced, Phillips would be the much, much better choice due to his extensive HC and total NFL experience.

abbest said:
Didn`t you know Kubiak is the Assistant Head Coach in Denver when they won two Super Bowls. He may be an ***** but no less than whats here

With Elway as your QB, even YOU could do well as a HC. I would much rather have Capers. He brought excitement to this franchise for the first three years of his tenure and his success actually may prove to be his undoing as expectations got so high that they were impossible to meet and thus the collapse was all the more hard to fathom and swallow.

Double Barrel said:
Just about every NFL head coach was a coordinator at one time, including your boy Capers.

Capers had several years of experience as a HC before coming to Houston. I don't want to pay money to see some guy "cut his teeth" on my team and you shouldn't, either. If you are gonna replace Capers, then replace him with Phillips or even Reeves -- though I don't think Reeves would be a wise replacement due to his bad HC record at the end of his tenure and his poor health. Still, he and Capers would be better than Kubiak. Kubiak has been living off of other people's success in Denver. He hasn't shown he has any ability to do anything on his own. He should just stay in Denver until he retires. He's found his niche -- he should just stay there.

Bobo said:
A.) I wouldn't say that Capers is done here. McNair has yet to pull the trigger on him and could very well have by simply making Reeves the HC, but he didn't do that. Capers may very well survive. B.) Anybody could have made Elway look great. Kubiak has had some real stinkers of seasons himself and even with some good teams recently hasn't gotten them past the first round in the playoffs. C.) Those Super Bowl rings came a long time ago during the Elway era. D.) Kubiak has been turned away by three different teams and I don't want to see him "cut his teeth" with a team that I pay good money to see every week. Like I said, if he takes over, I may not renew my season tix. He is a disaster waiting to manifest himself. E.) If Capers must be replaced, Phillips would be the much, much better choice due to his extensive HC and total NFL experience.

A> You dont keep a coach that does not win and is so loyal to his guys that he will forgoe winning that making the right moves
B> Elway was great, and Kubiak has consistently kept the Broncos offense in the top half of the NFL.
C> SB rings are SB rings no matter when they came It is a sign of doing enough to win
D> Kubiak has been courted by 4 teams does that trump your turned away, I am not really arguing this point, because even Coach B. of the Patriots was turned away by teams, they are looking pretty dumb now though. Plus you have to start somewhere, Crennel is "cutting his teeth" really well right now with a team with less talent than ours
E> Phillips would be a great hire either would be great, my thought is that they would be looking offense rather than defense. A good defensive coach is easier to find than a good offensive coach.

Dont get me wrong Bobo I think Phillips or Kubiak would be great. I would prefer either over Capers. I just think they go in an offensive direction. Thank you for explaining your position more indepth instead of just coming back with some stupid emotional response as some due on the board...

Coach C. said:
A> You dont keep a coach that does not win and is so loyal to his guys that he will forgoe winning that making the right moves
B> Elway was great, and Kubiak has consistently kept the Broncos offense in the top half of the NFL.
C> SB rings are SB rings no matter when they came It is a sign of doing enough to win
D> Kubiak has been courted by 4 teams does that trump your turned away, I am not really arguing this point, because even Coach B. of the Patriots was turned away by teams, they are looking pretty dumb now though. Plus you have to start somewhere, Crennel is "cutting his teeth" really well right now with a team with less talent than ours
E> Phillips would be a great hire either would be great, my thought is that they would be looking offense rather than defense. A good defensive coach is easier to find than a good offensive coach.

Dont get me wrong Bobo I think Phillips or Kubiak would be great. I would prefer either over Capers. I just think they go in an offensive direction. Thank you for explaining your position more indepth instead of just coming back with some stupid emotional response as some due on the board...

A.) Capers has done very well for three years here, considering the fact that he took the team from scratch. Yes, this year was awful, but Cowher had a stinker of a season a couple of years ago as well.
B.) If you've got a killer of a team behind you, anybody could win a SB ring. Especially if you have Elway as a QB.
C.) He was "courted" by teams but never did get the HC job.
D.) You can win championships by scoring less than 20 points if your defense is good enough to be better than that. Teams with offense and no defense never get too far in the NFL. The Colts never became SB contenders until they got the D together.

Bobo said:
Reeves, Phillips and, yes, Capers would be much, much better than Kubiak. Why in the blue blazes would you want to bring in a guy who has never been an NFL coach before and allow him to "cut his teeth" on our team?

Very rarely will you have a guy start his career at Head Coach. Bill Bellicheck was a coordinator for Parcells. Gruden was a coordinator for Holmgren, Mariucci was a coordinator for Holmgren. Mike Shanahan was a coordinator for both Dan Reeves and George Seifert. The list goes on and on. A coach has to get his start somewhere.

tulexan said:
Very rarely will you have a guy start his career at Head Coach. Bill Bellicheck was a coordinator for Parcells. Gruden was a coordinator for Holmgren, Mariucci was a coordinator for Holmgren. Mike Shanahan was a coordinator for both Dan Reeves and George Seifert. The list goes on and on. A coach has to get his start somewhere.

Fine, but not here. Let him cut his teeth elsewhere, like New Orleans. I pay good money to take my wife and myself to see the Texans games via season tix and I don't want to see them taken over by a rookie HC. It would be disastrous.

Bobo said:
Fine, but not here. Let him cut his teeth elsewhere, like New Orleans. I pay good money to take my wife and myself to see the Texans games via season tix and I don't want to see them taken over by a rookie HC. It would be disastrous.
Like Jim Mora Jr was such a disaster in Atlanta right? He went 11-5 record, won the NFC South Division title, and went to the NFC Championship Game. Pretty good teeth cutting there.

Vinny said:
Like Jim Mora Jr was such a disaster in Atlanta right? He went 11-5 record, won the NFC South Division title, and went to the NFC Championship Game. Pretty good teeth cutting there.

For every one of those stories there are hundreds of others that ended differently. I don't want to pay to see a team where the coach is "getting his feet wet." I'm putting money on the line here to watch a good product and if all I'm going to get is some guy who has as much NFL head coaching experience as I do, then it not only would be a waste of money on my part -- it would be a waste of time. There are plenty of better choices out there -- including Capers. No need to get a rookie HC in here who will be experimenting his way to more double-digit loss seasons.

Then don't pay. Stay away. Everyone has an opinion but if you won't buy a ticket because of the choice of coach...by all means, stay home and enjoy yourself. Life is too short to get all diseased in the mind over a young coach.

Bobo said:
I don't want to pay to see a team where the coach is "getting his feet wet." I'm putting money on the line here to watch a good product and if all I'm going to get is some guy who has as much NFL head coaching experience as I do, then it not only would be a waste of money on my part -- it would be a waste of time. There are plenty of better choices out there -- including Capers. No need to get a rookie HC in here who will be experimenting his way to more double-digit loss seasons.

Great--throw enough generalities against the wall and eventually you have vapor lock of the cranial cavity. Tom Landry had no head coaching experience--all he did was go on to develop the 4-3 and flex defenses, have 20 consecutive winning seasons, 5 super bowl trips and 2 wins, etc.--oh and that was with an expansion team as a defensive guru.

Bobo said:

The don't renew them, stay at home and watch the games. I'll be there 100% behind my Texans win or lose or even if Capers(I don't think he will be though)is back.

infantrycak said:
Great--throw enough generalities against the wall and eventually you have vapor lock of the cranial cavity. Tom Landry had no head coaching experience--all he did was go on to develop the 4-3 and flex defenses, have 20 consecutive winning seasons, 5 super bowl trips and 2 wins, etc.--oh and that was with an expansion team as a defensive guru.

Wouldn't you have to say this was the exception rather than the rule? Kubiak's NFL credentials are fine on the offensive part of the game. I would have no problem bringing him in as a OC. But he is out of his element as a HC and his ties to the area aren't based on NFL experience. He has no attraction at all to me as a head coach due to his lack of credentials and no reason for me to come out and support him as a person who is part of the Houston NFL football tradition. Let the Aggies hire him as their HC -- that would be a better fit for them and heaven knows they could use somebody there.

Vinny said:
Then don't pay. Stay away. Everyone has an opinion but if you won't buy a ticket because of the choice of coach...by all means, stay home and enjoy yourself. Life is too short to get all diseased in the mind over a young coach.

Why do you say I am "diseased in the mind" if I choose not to renew season tix based on a coaching change? I think this is just as good a reason as any other. I don't see a Houston NFL connection in Kubiak, nor do I see any NFL head coaching experience, nor do I see any success coming from a guy who would be "cutting his teeth" on a team I have spent good money on for the past four years. I see him as a really, really bad choice. If that's being "diseased in the mind," then so be it.

Bobo said:
Wouldn't you have to say this was the exception rather than the rule? Kubiak's NFL credentials are fine on the offensive part of the game. I would have no problem bringing him in as a OC. But he is out of his element as a HC and his ties to the area aren't based on NFL experience. He has no attraction at all to me as a head coach due to his lack of credentials and no reason for me to come out and support him as a person who is part of the Houston NFL football tradition. Let the Aggies hire him as their HC -- that would be a better fit for them and heaven knows they could use somebody there.

Landry is exceptional, but I don't think the rule should be changed--you look for who you think has the best chance of making the team better whether that be a guy with experience or a young guy on the way up. IMO generalities about not wanting retreads or about not wanting anyone without HC experience are equally silly and ignore the merits of a very small pool really of people who should be evaluated on an individual rather than arbitrary rule basis.

As for Houston tradition--IMO that is imposing yet another arbitrary rule which inherently limits the team and lowers the chance of excellence. I'd rather have McNair hire the best guy and have them build a Houston tradition of excellence than hire a guy with lots of Houston connections to lay bricks of mediocrity.

infantrycak said:
Landry is exceptional, but I don't think the rule should be changed--you look for who you think has the best chance of making the team better whether that be a guy with experience or a young guy on the way up. IMO generalities about not wanting retreads or about not wanting anyone without HC experience are equally silly and ignore the merits of a very small pool really of people who should be evaluated on an individual rather than arbitrary rule basis.

As for Houston tradition--IMO that is imposing yet another arbitrary rule which inherently limits the team and lowers the chance of excellence. I'd rather have McNair hire the best guy and have them build a Houston tradition of excellence than hire a guy with lots of Houston connections to lay bricks of mediocrity.

I don't see the Houston tradition as an "arbitrary rule" at all. Let's face it . Whomever they bring in here *if* they fire Capers -- and that's a big IF -- will have huge question marks surrounding him. Since that is the case, then why not bring in a guy with connections to the rich Houston NFL football tradition such as Wade Phillips? After all, we don't know how any new coach would do in 2006 -- any of them might end up doing poorly. They all have negatives or else they wouldn't be available. However, a guy with attachments to Houston NFL football in the past will generate excitement and loyalty from folks who know Bayou City football.

Bobo said:
I don't see the Houston tradition as an "arbitrary rule" at all. Let's face it . Whomever they bring in here *if* they fire Capers -- and that's a big IF -- will have huge question marks surrounding him. Since that is the case, then why not bring in a guy with connections to the rich Houston NFL football tradition such as Wade Phillips? After all, we don't know how any new coach would do in 2006 -- any of them might end up doing poorly. They all have negatives or else they wouldn't be available. However, a guy with attachments to Houston NFL football in the past will generate excitement and loyalty from folks who know Bayou City football.

I don't have anything against Phillips in particular, but it is pretty simple--if you can look at 1 million potential candidates you are more likely to find excellence than if you look at 10. Set enough arbitrary rules and your pool reduces to nothing.

infantrycak said:
I don't have anything against Phillips in particular, but it is pretty simple--if you can look at 1 million potential candidates you are more likely to find excellence than if you look at 10. Set enough arbitrary rules and your pool reduces to nothing.

But if everything is equal -- and everything is equal since there are negatives with all the candidates -- then why not choose a guy who has attachments to the great Houston NFL football tradition? Especially when those attachments include being the son of one of the most popular guys in Houston NFL history?

Bobo, I'm not going to get into the fallacy of all your posts on this thread, but I would like you to clear one thing up for me. You have stated twice in this thread that Kubiak was courted for HC jobs and was turned down. I want you to elaborate. I know that Kubiak declined to be interviewed for the NE job that Belichick ended up with. I know that Kubiak withdrew his name from consideration for the Saints position that Haslett ended up with, stating that he wanted to coach the Texans or stay in Denver. I know that he turned down the CU head coach position. I know he didn't take the Browns job of his own volition. I know he was turned down for the Texans position, but it was largely because Capers was thought to have great experience with an expansion team - not necessarily because Kubiak wasn't HC material.

What other job(s) besides the Texans job did he get rejected for, exactly? I'm sincerely curious, because I don't claim to have followed this guy's career forever. I have followed it enough to know that he coached Steve Young to his best year ever, made Brian Griese (yeah, THAT Brian Griese) into a Pro Bowler, and has turned Jake Plummer into an amazingly effective QB. I know his offense has posted some pretty incredible numbers during his tenure there, even in the PE years (post-Elway), and I know he's been mentored by a coach that's won at every level of football and vouches for him unconditionally.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like he has credentials, but a run of teams denying him HC positions might be the tarnish I need to change that opinion. You chose to ignore my previous post about this and went on to make the same assertion, I would just like to see some data to back up your claim is all.

Young, Elway, Plummer

Sounds like Kubiak has experience and success with mobile quarterbacks. Wait a second, we have a mobile quarterback who is struggling.

Grid said:
why dont we just break the bank and get Kubiak as Head Coach and Phillips as DC :).. grab us another qualified OC.. like the guy from Kansas City or Philly.. and make Reeves GM.. or someone else qualified.. and get ready for the superbowl trophies to come rollin in :)

thats the best thing ive heard in months.

Dan Reeves was hired as a consultant.

Dan Reeves was not hired to fire anybody. Thats Mr. McNair's job.

Dan Reeves was not hired to hire anybody. That is Mr. McNair's job.

Dan Reeves was hired to evaluate the team and thell Mr. McNair, his long time friend, what he thinks of his struggling football team. He is here to give his opinion on what he thinks of Capers, of Casserly, and the players on this football team.

He is not putting a gun to McNair's head and saying "Fire Capers and make me head coach" or "Fire Casserely and make me GM". All these decesions will be made by the head honcho himself, Mr. McNair. Those are his decesions to make because he writes the paycheck. If Capers and/or Casserely is fired, its not going to be because Dan Reeves told him to. If we hire Wade Phillips and not Greg Kubiak it will not be because Dan Reeves told him to. Yes, Dan Reeves will give his opinion, and McNair will listen. But these are McNair's decesions and his alone.

John Clayton's job for ESPN is to speculate on rumors. They are supposed to entice the fans and to make them keep watching the network. And thats what these are are rumors. That is his job to think this stuff up. Not a word of it could be true. I would be happy with Phillips as head coach. Or Kubiak. But there is a lot more to a head coach that make the team successful. Its the GM, the scouts, the assisstant coaches, hell even the water boy. It is so stupid to say that one man is gonna make this team a super bowl contender or a lock for the 1st pick in the draft for years to come.

Kubiak, Wade Phillips, Dan Reeves? How depressing!

I'd rather keep Capers until someone better comes along. At least it's entertaining to watch him stand on the sidelines with his mouth wide open like a kid watching his first magic trick.

how about this...dan reeves is the new GM...hires Gary Kubiak to be the HC and Wade Phillips the DC and assisstant head coach...pay phillips more money than san diego and let him have total control over the defense

bigTEXan8 said:
Phillips is good with the front seven. Hopefully, if he does end up coaching us, can bring in a good secondary coach. Meanwhile, I still want someone to get this offense in the right direction.

I think Wade is too nice a guy to have in charge. They need someone to come in and kick some rear ends. If they don't execute it falls back on who? The man in charge.

Back