Clay Matthews - OLB - USC

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Ole Miss Texan, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Clay Matthews, LB, USC
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 240lbs
    40 yd dash: 4.67 sec. (4th of LBs- top performer)
    Vertical Jump: 35.5" (4th of LBs- top performer)
    Broad Jump: 10'1" (3rd of LBs- top performer)
    3-cone drill: 6.90 sec. (2nd of LBs- top performer)
    20 yard shuttle: 4.18 sec. (2nd of LBs- top performer)- better than most RBs and WRs

I thought I had started a thread about him already but after searching I can't find it. He was high on my list for the Broncos during the mock draft so I think I was trying to keep him a secret;)

Definitely a 1st round guy I initially thought would go in the 20's to a team like the Patriots or the Dolphins. With the signing of Antonio Smith, DE is not a top priority. SLB would be a great pick at 15 and Cushing or Matthews may fit that real well. Matthews is a great pass rusher which boosts his value for us. Adding Bruce Matthews as a coach doesn't hurt our exposure to this kid at all either. I wouldn't be upset if we were to take him at 15 if they like him instead of risk trading down and missing out.

From what I could tell, he looked really fluid in the drills during the combine. I didn't really get to watch much though. :(

Here's what danger6 posted 2 weeks ago:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. Ole Miss Texan

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/clay-matthews?id=80431

3. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Clay Matthews III is an interesting prospect. He has a non-stop motor and is an excellent pass-rusher (from all the You Tube videos I’ve seen). More importantly he has a high football IQ and an admirable work ethic (he was a walk-on to the football program at USC).

However, he does not have a lot of starting experience but played well behind, arguably, the best line backing corps. last season. Regardless, he is a good prospect and I would be more then enthusiastic to see him in a Texans uniform.

Most experts have him going in the 2nd or 3rd rounds and I’m not sure we would be willing to spend a first-round pick on him. Maybe with a trade down we could grab this guy but definitely not 15th overall in the first-round. On a side note, his uncle Bruce Matthews is a former Houston Oilers lineman and now an assistant with the Texans…maybe one more reason to get him?

Pete Carroll on Clay: “Clay is really productive. He gives us great speed, and he has great savvy and instincts.”

:fans:

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  4. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

He was initially listed as a 2nd or 3rd round guy but with the combine he had, his stock has been rising. He was one of the better LB's out there. I wouldn't be surprised if people start seeing him as a mid-1st round guy by the time draft day rolls around.

And whether OTHER people see him that way or not, I wouldn't be upset if we got him there.

5. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

With the three USC LB's all being good and together... anyone else think they all made each other look better than they really are?

6. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

You beat me to it! I was going to start this thread earlier but I was running late for work. I just posted this in another thread before reading this one. Great minds think alike! :highfive: :)

15 is not a reach for this Mathews. IMO potential wise, he is in a class of his own. Every thing clicked for for him this last year. His stats dont do him justice. He caught my eye in the Oregon st vs USC game. I started putting him on my mocks in the later rounds and it seemed like every month I had to move him up a round. His instincs are great and once his body completely matures hes going to be a very good player.

7. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

I like the pick of Clay. I like the pick of Cushing as well. Both should be there for us, but givin' the the fact that Bruce is on our staff now can pay huge dividens in Clays "off the field" development...:)

8. Ole Miss Texan

9. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

its in his genes. Patriots made their living drafting guys like Mathews in the 3rd/4th rounds my how times have changed everytime you turnaround another team is switching to a 3-4. The Texans knew this early on bringing in Capers to run it but they never invested or got lucky health wise in a NT to really give it a fair chance. now on their 3rd DC Bush is bringing a different version of the 4-3 than Richard Smith tried to install, more like USC uses called the Elephant where the SLB stands up. the DL basicly still uses one-gap technique but the SLB comes off the edge in blitzing fashion like an extra DE. of course Brian Cushing is the ideal compliment for this attacking defense but has caught the attention of scouts around the league so I doubt will still be there @ #15. Clay is another option, doesn't hurt his chance with Mathews Sr. now on staff either but its more about running Frank Bushs new up tempo scheme. I would still prefer trading down like Smith did last years draft playing a little cat & mouse, nothing cute just exclamation point :lion:

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I'm all for trading down if we can find a trading partner.

I think ethier Barwin or Matthews will be there @ 20-25

I like Barwin better he is bigger & faster but Matthews is the same type of prospect in that they both have their best years ahead of them. Unlimited potential

11. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I don't think so.

They had the best defense in college football in the last what? Twenty years or something like that?

It's funny that the other two are rated higher because I see Matthews as the only one without question marks.

12. houstonbola

houstonbola Rookie

I like Matthews work ethic, he seems like a hard-nosed blue-collar guy that doesnt mind getting his hands dirty. Just the kind of guy we need, a guy with a motor that doesnt stop and a never quit attitude. I like his size and speed combo also.

13. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Anyone else remember when we had the 15 pick? We all thought for sure we would go OLB if DJ was there. Instead we ended up with Travis Johnson.

I would draft Matthews at 15 if Rey is off the board.

14. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Call me crazy but I would take Matthews , Barwin , and Sidbury over M. Johnson , Rey Rey , and Cushing .

15. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Technically Clay Matthews was a DE, not a full time OLB

I'd steer clear of Cush with all the roid rumors.

I'd take at least 100 players before M. Johnson. The man's lazy play is legendary and a guy like Clay deserves to go a few rounds before that pile of wasted potential

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  16. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

When your talking millions and wasted picks ... I wouldn't touch Johnson or Cushing in the 1st two rounds .

You google Brian Cushing steroids and you only get 11,600 hits .

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

This is why I want to see what the write up on Bobby Carpenter was and see if it is familiar to what we just read on Clay 3.

However, another side of me says this is the best situation to draft a kid like Clay 3. With Diles, Ryans and Adibi, and Bentley he wouldn't have to start right away. He would have a bit of time to get adjusted to the game by playing special teams. We need a guy like this on special teams anyhow. I see that he only started 10 games his whole career but what intrigues me is how this kid walked on to a power house program like USC and became a starter in their linebacking corp. You just don't do that without being some kind of good.

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

If comparison is to be fair, it could be said that Matthews was a "one season wonder" as some are saying about Robert Ayers. If Raji is gone @#15, we should be able to get a decent trade down offer and still get a very solid player in late first. Getting a starting DE in FA really helped our draft. I am hoping there will be at least one "why did that guy go so high?" selection in front of us and one or two teams really wanting to trade with us for that "got to have him" player. Another 3rd & 6th like last season would be great but I'm hoping we can do even better. Right now, RB Jennings or FS Delmas is looking good in 3rd but I'm still wavering on Peerman in 5th and Rashad Johnson FS in one of our 4ths.

I am dreaming Detroit will trade up with us and then Atlanta. Greedy, huh?

19. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

The only sure pick out of the 4 LB's from USC is Rey Maualuga because he has played the most of all them IMO.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

i am hoping all 4 get taken before #15.