Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Clay Matthews: Cushing injury shows a 'double standard'

Umm, does anyone find it ironic we're bitching about this block when players have been bitching about our style of play in the zbs for awhile now?

Agreed. When it is our O-Line doing it, I don't care as much obviously. But it is ridiculous cheap shots like this don't get penalized more. Cut blocking a guy from behind like was done to Cushing should be completely illegal, should involve a major penalty, plus a sizable fine.

Umm, does anyone find it ironic we're bitching about this block when players have been bitching about our style of play in the zbs for awhile now?
Clay Matthews is the guy in this article....with the Packers. Also, this block was done out side of the "legal" cut block area....and it was not defensible since it Cushing had no protection at that angle...ie illegal hit.

was-the-matt-slauson-cutoff-of-brian-cushing-legal.jpg

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/10/was-the-matt-slauson-cutoff-of-brian-cushing-legal/

I actually find it ridiculous that people can't see the night and day difference between the two plays.

I actually find it ridiculous that people can't see the night and day difference between the two plays.

Exactly. Someone needs to post that GIF in here from the other Cushing thread. It was clearly a dirty play. Cushing wasn't even that close to the play, but the piece of **** just decides to unload on Cushing's knee.

I hope the mother ****er gets rectal cancer.

Exactly. Someone needs to post that GIF in here from the other Cushing thread. It was clearly a dirty play. Cushing wasn't even that close to the play, but the piece of **** just decides to unload on Cushing's knee.

I hope the mother ****er gets rectal cancer.

That's a bit much, no?

How many opponents of the Texans have had their knee blown out and were lost for the season after a cut block by the o-line? The cut block is as old as the game itself. The clip is just as old, and has always been a dirty play.

Damnit!! I've said it in other threads, it was a dirty play, BUT I don't think it was played with malice!! Anyone that has played has done things where they know what they did was unethical.. In other words, I dont have hate......... well much hate for this sumbitch!!!

Damnit!! I've said it in other threads, it was a dirty play, BUT I don't think it was played with malice!! Anyone that has played has done things where they know what they did was unethical.. In other words, I dont have hate......... well much hate for this sumbitch!!!

Fair enough, friend. Myself and others just see it differently. From every angle I have seen, it sure looks a hell of a lot like he could have easily gone up high on Cush and laid him out that way. He had at least 50 lbs on him but instead, he went for the one area he could seriously hurt Cush: his legs.

You won't convince me there was no malicious intent. I believe he was pissed off at how they were getting dominated by our D and he saw an opportunity to hurt one of our best players. I don't think he necessarily wanted to hurt Cush for the season, but I most certainly believe he wanted to hurt him.

No. He's going light on him. Actually I hope he gets rectal cancer but in the back of his throat...

.. and then they find out it's somebody else's rectal cancer!

I hope he gets testicular cancer...on his chin. Sorry sob.

It was a dirty hit, but I will bet anything there are at least 3 of these hits per game in every game. It's a violent game with a lot of malice on that field.

Guy was malicious and hit to injure. I would not be suprised he wasnt coached to do this, someone needs to watch his bank and his habbits for a while, i see a boat or snow mobile or new car in his future and it probably wont even get looked at. It was a tripping hit which last i saw was an illegal hit, guy should be suspended till cush gets back on the feild

the effort that it took for slausen to go that low tells me it was an intent to harm. that's not a block, it's a take out. he could've blocked high to remove cushing from the play. he could've blocked at the hips to get cushing to the ground. he could've launched himself in any number of ways to make the play. to get your helmet at your own knees before submarining into the block takes more effort than required to make the play.

Just imagine what happens if a defensive player had done that to Tim Tebow, who you can clearly notice on the play. He'd be kicked out of the game, fined and likely suspended. I agree with Clay Matthews, double standard.

the effort that it took for slausen to go that low tells me it was an intent to harm. that's not a block, it's a take out. he could've blocked high to remove cushing from the play. he could've blocked at the hips to get cushing to the ground. he could've launched himself in any number of ways to make the play. to get your helmet at your own knees before submarining into the block takes more effort than required to make the play.

Exactly. How anyone can defend the guy is beyond me. There are a number of ways he could have taken Cushing out of the play. Instead, he chose to take the route that could hurt Cushing.

As I said before, I won't claim that he was trying to seriously injure Cushing, but there is no doubt in my mind he wanted to hurt Cush.

I don't know Bill. It kind of looked like homeboy intentionally dove at the man's knee while his back was turned. I thought you could do a chop block provided the guy was facing you.

It's a Rex Ryan team. That alone makes me suspect that this could have been intentional.

I've actually thought about this and tried to come up with as many injuries as I can recall coming from Texans' blocking.

All I came up with was a guy Owen Daniels blocked in Cincinatti, Odom I believe. It wasn't even an OL guy doing the damage and it wasn't from behind, as I recall.

Besides, I've only ever seen a cut block attempt come at the snap, usually the backside OG/OT immediately dive at the defender in front of them. I've never seen a guy run 5 yards down the field, turn back around to the LOS and put his hat on a guy's knee. From any team. I haven't been watching the foosball as long as some folks but I've never seen that.

I don't think the NFL will or should get rid of "cut blocking". But "in the interest of player safety" they might wanna wake teh Fs up and recognize a dirty, chicken**** play when they see one.

gtexan, that's why I wasn't upset when Travis Johnson became upset when Trent Green went down low on him. It was a malicious hit. He'e like a scare crow trying to get courage. God don't like ugly, you know what I mean? These guys can have their career end and the NFL has to protect defensive players. Trent Green deserved to be taken off in a stretcher. He shouldn't have done it in the first place!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO7JIcE-RAk

But to be fair, that was coming in front of him so it's all good.

Coming from behind makes it uncalled for and dirty.

Back