Chronic's Lopez: Bush is the choice

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Bush gives Texans best chance to wins

2. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

They are blind... blind i tell you! :)

Nah seriously.. its good to see that some experts agreed that Carr isnt the problem. its one thing hearing it from other fans around the league and such.. but to hear it come from professional coaches just gives me hope.

3. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Game-wise, I don't really care if we get Young or Bush with our first pick. What I am worried about is the economics of the choice. DD has a long-term contract whereas Carr's is running out. If we get Bush we'll hurt $-wise for years to come, but if we get Young as an upgrade to Carr(with a possible 1-2 years transition-period) we'll only hurt for a couple of years.

Despite what player one wants the most, I believe it is the economic aspect of the game that will ultimately decide who gets picked.
    That would leave us possibly trading down the pick, again for economical reasons. Tough decision, glad I'm not making it :)

4. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

It's funny to watch this ebb and flow among the fans and media. The point made on the VY learning curve has and always will be valid.

5. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Like a breath of fresh air...Nice to hear it from someone on the outside looking in, I am just curious who the "NFL minds" were that they interviewed...

6. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

The head coach candidates.

7. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

couple things.

Ive been thinking about this whole "Bush will hurt the Cap since we just re-signed DD" thing.. and ive got a few thoughts.

1. What if we drafted a WR #1 overall? They will only touch the ball 10-15 times a game... and thats if they are good. The cap hit would be similar, and the number of times the player gets the ball would actually be LESS than if we drafted Bush.

2. If the Colts can pay Peyton so much..and the Falcons can pay Vick so much.. how is it that we cannot pay DD + Bush without crippling ourselves? Heck.. both of their salaries together will probably still be 20-40 million less than Peyton or Vick gets.

3. The first few years of a rookie contract are usually fairly "light" on the cap, arent they? Obviously a #1 pick will cost more but for the first few years it shouldnt be a huge amount, right? Well by the time Bush really starts putting some pressure on the cap, DD will either be gone, or restructured.. correct? SO we probably shouldnt worry bout that either.

8. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

DD's contract doesn't start to get real stupid until '07. Next season won't be that bad. But then you'll have to deal with those last three years eventually.

9. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Well if we keep him happy.. keep him sharing carries with Bush and playing a part in the offense... he strikes me as the type of guy that would restructure his contract to help the team out of cap difficulty. hes a team player.

Thanks for the info aj.

10. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

1) Did they even watch the games?

2) What he didn't say was the next 20 viable head coaching candidates would have all said Vince Young. Period.

3) They are all in McNair's pocket.

4) They all just like David Carr's hair.

5) They don't know anything about NFL football.

Did I miss anything? :)

11. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

OMG don't say that, one of these guys will run our team in 3-4 weeks! :)

I guess this shouldget all the Carr-haters out, "horrible HC candidates, they like Carr!!" :)

12. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I guess there is some chance they know what they are talking about!

13. geofb

geofb Veteran

It appears cooler heads will ultimately prevail. The knee-jerk Vince Young crowd will be unhappy but we will be better in the long run by giving him a pass.

14. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Marcus, you missed a good part of the article, though. Regardless of who we pick....
    WHAAA HOOO!!! Ding dong the Fangio's dead, the Pendry's dead, the Fangio's dead... ding dong with wicked schemes are deeeaaaaad.

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I ****ing love Bob McNair.

16. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

LOL!!! Don't we all. That has signature possibilities. :)

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Kind of like a poll question, Is David Carr the problem for the Texans lack of success? Of course not.

I would like to see how the break down went. That is what is being debated on this board, well by me at least. ;)

18. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Though I agree with this 'survey' opinion regarding Carr, and though I am not 100% sold on Bush but have come to more or less view it as a very good idea, I only hesitate to accept the validity of all of Lopez' statements.

Though I tend to think Lopez is the least biased and most fact based Chronic writer, I nevertheless always wonder where they get some of their info from.

I would be curious to learn more about this 'wise circle of seven' and how Lopez got the inside word on their proceedings. I am not saying he is false - hell, it could be 100% true - but I guess I only advise that the buyer beware.

I wonder if those people who bet me $50 that Vince wouldn't be wearing a Texans uniform intend to pay up if they lose?

19. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

Is it just me or is it a little disconcerting that the FO has to seek all this outside help to feel better about their decision making. Do the Patriots do this kind of thing? I'm a little surprised since Bob never makes the same mistake twice why the whole ship wasn't dismantled. Reeves must have thought the coaching was really bad.

20. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Yeah, I could just imagine a guy interviewing for a job saying, "Yuppers, your QB stinks on ice." And personally, I think it is difficult to evaluate Carr at all given the coaching, protection issues and the difficulty in discerning what is Carr and what is not.

And IIRC, I read that the candidates have all said they would like to see more film on our team.

In any event, if I am a new head coach, I would want to win immediately and have an easier camp etc--that means no developing a new QB--and getting picks that can play right away.

But that doesn't mean that VY wouldn't be a great first pick.

I betcha we will be seeing lots of articles like this to prepare Houston for the notion that we are not going to get VY.