Chronicle Mock draft

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by stingray, Jan 10, 2007.

1. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

2. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

While a nice idea I put the possibility of him being there at 8 at about 1000 to 1.

3. yourfavoritetexan42

yourfavoritetexan42 Veteran

If Alan Branch or Joe Thomas aren't available...then lets bring in Adrian Peterson. He is a very good back, better overall college back than Reggie Bush and any other running back that has come out since LT.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Ginn is a big WR? After seeing his dad, I guess he has the "potential" to get big. Right now, I think you'd have to consider Ginn a smallish WR.

[​IMG]

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Lance may have left out the word time...like big time wr. I think it's too early for Ginn also....I can't see how he goes before Peterson.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I take that back...I think he did mean "big".

7. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

I'd love to take those odds, I think the chances are less than 50% but not anywhere close to that low.

8. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

If AP gets by cleveland, then he probably falls to the eight spot, cause none of the teams from 4-7 need a RB. Tampa- cadillac, Arizona- Edge, Washington-Portis, Betts, Minnesotta-C. Taylor. Unless there is a trade, I don't see any of these teams picking AP. Cleveland is probably gonna have the choice between Branch, C. Johnson and Peterson. I say they draft Johnson.

9. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

If Washington takes a WR after all the money they spent last year in FA, I will be shocked and completely amazed. They have more needs on the lines and at DB to do something that does not help the team overall.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't see Clevland or Washington passing up Peterson. I think the 'skins will try to move Portis.

11. Heywood

Heywood Veteran

there is no way ginn gets drafted before peterson, provided peterson is healthy. none. this is silly wishful thinking.

several teams would be willing to trade with WAS if WAS was sitting there at 7 with AP in front of them. the giants certainly come to mind. the broncos, eagles, jets, etc also come to mind.

i do think AP could fall to 8, but for this to happen OAK has to pick calvin johnson (based on their theorizing they can get their QB at 33). it's the only scenario i see for this, though.

12. old football fan

old football fan Veteran

Ginn just moved down with the USC WR coming out

13. DenverBorn

DenverBorn Veteran

I heard John Lopez speak recently and he made a point with which I would agree. The Texans can likely find safeties, defensive linemen and most offensive linemen in free agency or in lower rounds in the draft. On the other hand, top QB's and RB's are tough to find in free agency, thus the best way to get them is in the draft. Personally I might add CB's and LT's to his list, but generally I agree with him, so I would support the drafting of Peterson, Lynch or one of the top QB's in the first round. I think drafting a Laron Landry or Reggie Nelson that high in the draft is a waste of the pick.

Last year's draft is instructive in that regard, in many ways. Looking at some of the top picks, the DE (Mario), TE (Davis) and SS (Huff) are all good but not really that much better than players available lower in the draft or through free agency. OTOH, players like Bush, Young, D'Brick are impossible to find in free agency and you have to get really lucky to find a comparable player much lower in the draft (like McNeill). My orange blood aside, I think the Raiders made a huge mistake passing on Leinart and Cutler to draft Michael Huff.

14. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Is it my imagination or does he have Reggie Nelson falling out of the first round altogther?

15. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

There is no chance that the Skins take Peterson. With the amount of holes that they have in their defense, the GM would be fired on the spot for picking him.

They already have Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts, and TJ Duckett on the roster. I don't know about Duckett, but Portis and Betts both have long term contracts and I don't know how willing they will be to move Portis because of the cap hit they will have to take to do it.

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

He left undeclared underclassmen out of his mock.

17. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Did Ginn or Peterson declare yet? I don't remember hearing about it.

18. jdog

jdog All Pro

I think he left Marcus McCauley out of the first round which would be nice. If we had a chance of getting him in the second round, I'd love it.

19. DenverBorn

DenverBorn Veteran

Good point. Frankly I think he should have waited 5 days until all of the declared juniors were identified. Kinda like doing a full mock draft 3 days before the end of the regular season..(just kidding, Kast)

20. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

Although I can see what your logic is, I must disagree with you regarding safeties. Usually, great safeties don't make it to FA and many are chosen in the 1st round (Polomalu, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Roy Williams). Of course there are exceptions to this, because good safeties can be found later in the first day, but your GREATS are usually in the 1st. The same can be said about TE's (Shockey, Watson, Winslow, Heap, Clark) but to a lesser degree, TE's usually fall to later rounds.

Really, it depends on the draft, not the position. You shouldn't think that the majority of DE's picked in the first day are relatively close in production solely on a past draft; it really is an individual examination. If its a deep class like this year, there will be a lot of talent available all through day one, especially at corner, QB, and DL this year.